quiz question #5

What positions get paid? Top 3? If thats the case I'll move all in here. Ace-X is dominant over 2 average hands. SB will have to wake up with a monster to call, due the the BB's ability to knock him out. The BB may call with a nominal hand after the SB folds, but that's great. That gives you a shot at doubling up, and then some. Be aggressive when it's shorthanded with a naked ace.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What positions get paid? Top 3? If thats the case I'll move all in here. Ace-X is dominant over 2 average hands. SB will have to wake up with a monster to call, due the the BB's ability to knock him out. The BB may call with a nominal hand after the SB folds, but that's great. That gives you a shot at doubling up, and then some. Be aggressive when it's shorthanded with a naked ace.
You've got it backwards between the SB and BB. SB, being the shortstack and 2 away from the money may call you to gamble on chipping up since he has little to lose. You have half the BB's stack, and he drops into an out-of-the-$ situation if he loses. The SB wants to double up, the BB wants to conserve chips for superior situations than calling 1/2 of them on an all-in.I'm also still amazed at the weak-tightness of the forum. Actively avoiding going broke on this hand insures finishing out of the money more than being called by a dominating hand from the BB does (assuming you limp-fold, minraise-fold, or do one of those and fold to a flop bet). You lose all future leverage on pots, cripple yourself to seeing 2 more orbits (10 hands. Significant chance of not seeing a hand this good again) before picking an all-in that WILL be called, a double-up won't put you out of the danger zone when you let your stack fall further... it's ludicrous to think that putting 1/3 of your stack in with the intention of getting away for a raise helps you, and ridiculous to think that 4th of 5 when 3 get paid, holding 5.5x BB "isn't that bad" or that A7 isn't a good hand getting heads up with 1 of 2 random hands or that it's the "97th best hand" or whatever that gem of memorized unthinking inapplicable garbage was. Look at the post correcting my crappy math attempt; to worry heavily enough about being behind is fearing the statistical boogeyman. You're more likely to lose postflop to 6-4 than to be dominated preflop by either of those random hands. Noone's life is depending on a single SnG; if BB puts you out, say "that's poker, sometimes they wake up to a beast, or come from behind", move on, fire the next one up, and play each one to maximize profit.
You've got it backwards between the SB and BB. SB, being the shortstack and 2 away from the money may call you to gamble on chipping up since he has little to lose. You have half the BB's stack, and he drops into an out-of-the-$ situation if he loses. The SB wants to double up, the BB wants to conserve chips for superior situations than calling 1/2 of them on an all-in.I'm also still amazed at the weak-tightness of the forum. Actively avoiding going broke on this hand insures finishing out of the money more than being called by a dominating hand from the BB does (assuming you limp-fold, minraise-fold, or do one of those and fold to a flop bet). You lose all future leverage on pots, cripple yourself to seeing 2 more orbits (10 hands. Significant chance of not seeing a hand this good again) before picking an all-in that WILL be called, a double-up won't put you out of the danger zone when you let your stack fall further... it's ludicrous to think that putting 1/3 of your stack in with the intention of getting away for a raise helps you, and ridiculous to think that 4th of 5 when 3 get paid, holding 5.5x BB "isn't that bad" or that A7 isn't a good hand getting heads up with 1 of 2 random hands or that it's the "97th best hand" or whatever that gem of memorized unthinking inapplicable garbage was. Look at the post correcting my crappy math attempt; to worry heavily enough about being behind is fearing the statistical boogeyman. You're more likely to lose postflop to 6-4 than to be dominated preflop by either of those random hands. Noone's life is depending on a single SnG; if BB puts you out, say "that's poker, sometimes they wake up to a beast, or come from behind", move on, fire the next one up, and play each one to maximize profit.
In my experience what typically happens is the SB folds and the BB (with decent chipstack) calls due to "pot odds" since the SB folded (granted only 100). Maybe, maybe not..The SB NEEDS a hand here to call an all-in, due to the fact that the BB is yet to act.All in all, I say PUSH with ANY ACE. You need divine intervention sooner or later! :wink: But I am on my 4th jack n coke so I may be talking out of my A$$ :whistle:Incidentally I just had a 90 minute session at .5/1 where I won +$20.37. It was the first time I've ever played while buzzed... strange... I did much better than I usually do! lol. I think I concentrate more when I drink? Either way...big props to Scotty Nguyen!!! WOOOOOOOO...

I would go all in, seeing as how I'm probably short-stacked. There's a chance to steal the blinds or double up in this situation, which would be a nice play, if you ask me.

The small blind DOESN'T need a hand to call. He'd call with two cards above a 7 or an 8 for the exact same reason everyone here seems to think you need to be in with a marginal hand. You're not going to be a huge favorite over anything except Ax where x is less than 7, and anything else... best case scenario is 60/40 your way. Worst case you're crushed. I don't want to draw the line in the sand on a very marginal hand when there's a high likelihood that a stack that can cripple you will call with almost anything and make it a crapshoot. Yes 60/40 is definitely an advantage, IF you're even ahead, but that's just begging for a stupid suckout. And I'm assuming everyone here reading this is good enough to try to avoid marginal situations like this. And all this is just considering the big blind won't call you, which is definitely bad for you if he does. You get two more free folds if you can't make a stand, one of which will probably knock out the shortstack in the SB. Then, you get pre-flop position for your big blind.All the money I ever make online is by taking advantage of other people's mistakes. If this is a low-limit sit and go, you've still got a good chance for the mediocre stacks to kill each other. I realize folding your way in is pretty weak, but I think it's preferable to a very marginal situation you don't HAVE to take.

If the table is _that_ weak, you're facing probable folds in light of such a 'powerful' all in, unless they've got premium hands. I'd say that the fold equity in a weak game is more important than calculating the weighted average of callable hands on the part of small blind and big blind. Most weak players fold to that kind of 'strength' without premium hands. Unless they're calling stations, that is.If you give your competition some credit, you'd be well advised to take the possible 60/40 + fold equity instead of waiting it out, because you won't likely find a better situation to be in before the blinds come around again.Really, the only table situation i wouldnt push with was one with loose passive players. That's when i'd just fold it.

With all folds to you I think it's usually a no-brainer to raise with Ace-anything to attack the blinds. The tough part is whether to raise the minimum or go all-in. I lean towards the minimum...if you are called there is a good chance someone has you dominated. Of course raising only the minimum still takes a big chunk of your chips...that's part of what makes this a good question.

Check and look for the small to go all in to pick up some blinds, BB may fold with a weak hand, not wanting to put a quarter of his stack in to protect his blind, then call and isolate with the SB. If BB calls, go over the top with an all in. Make your move to get into a commanding position.

Announcements