quiz question #5

It might be worth noting this:Many people say all-in, saying that if you min-raise, and the BB plays back at you with a reraise, you're committed anyway. Doesn't that mean the BB would call if you went all-in? So really, there is no difference: You play for all your chips in either case.If you min-raise, and the BB moves all-in, you simply call. Also, I think he may sense weakness and try to move you off your hand with a hand that is worse than yours, which wouldn't happen if you moved in.If you min-raise, and they fold, they'd have folded if you'd moved in.If you min-raise, and the BB just calls, you're still committed to the hand, but he may bluff at you. If he outflops you, he would've won the hand anyway if you had moved in.My first instinct here was, like most people's, to move in. But the answer to these quiz questions isn't usually the obvious one. Given that, and the added chance the BB makes a mistake and bluffs at you with a worse hand than yours, I think that while moving in may still be correct, there is something to be said for the non-standard play of raising the minimum.
I agree that it seems like the answer to this quiz is obvious, but I don't think your reasoning for min-raising is correct. As someone else already mentioned, you are letting him see the flop cheaply to see if he hits anything, and if he doesn't, then he just lets go of the hand. You want him to have to decide for half his stack if he thinks his hand will be the best one after the river, not give him a chance to hit a bad/marginal hand that he probably wouldn't have played if you went all-in. If the BB is a semi-reasonable player, he's not going to bluff into you at all because he will know you are pot committed no matter what he holds in his hand. Since I don't think he will bluff into you, the only thing you do by min-raising is give him a chance to see a cheap flop and take you down.
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also voted for moving all-in. It's very likely with only two other opponenets that your hand is best. It's also possible that some calls you with a hand like A5 or something like that, in which you have them dominated. If you get called by KQ or 55 so be it, but if you play to win tournaments like I do, you need to win a coinflip here and there to do so sometimes. The game is too shorthanded and the blinds are too large to attempt to wait for a better spot. More times than not, you will pick up the blinds in this situation, anyway.

come on daniel, surely you can come up with something better than this. you move in, its so standard i wonder if its a trick question of sorts and you're going to come up with some crazy idea for another option, or if you play too high level tournaments to come across this as often as it happens in low level sit and gos which tbf is a lot
I think Daniel just found this scenario recently (from PM) and someone called with a marginal hand. Or he was the BB and called someone's min raise. There is no room here for a tricky play - you just don't have a good enough hand or enough chips. If you are a good player, the min. raise (or call) is something you do with a monster hand to help induce a call or re-raise. I do make the play sometimes of the suspicious min. raise but this is not the place for it.I'd like to note that yesterday night it was about even between raise all in and min. raise/fold. Either the good players are voting late or people are reading the thread before voting.

am i the only one who might consider raising the minimum?the reason is that if BOTH players push/call, then you can lean towards thinking that you don't have the best hand. but if only one calls/pushes, you can follow suit.you might even steal the blinds, with the littlest risk possible.aseem

At this point you only have 5.5 times the big blind. The blinds are probably going up again in the next 5-10 minutes. If raise 400 then decide to fold the hand your down to 700. I think you have one move and it's all-in.

You can't "limp and pray" and you are too short stacked, so that's out.The minimum raise is entirely too liable to be an expensive version of the above, and you can't call a raise.Pushing in here is iffy. You've got a guy who can break you on the BB and you are making what looks to all the world like a steal move, and you just aren't going to be that much a favorite over any likely calling hand, and you are very likely to be a dog. Plus, I've tried almost this exact move a few times in a tournament, and it is disgusting how often you run into another ace.I think that you can wait long enough without getting crippled to take a better shot.

I am one of the all - in voters. Everyone has said the reasons earlier as to why I would go all-in so I am not gonna repeat it here. I have a feeling Daniel will say something else should have been done. ( people would know why if they had seen my previous poll results )BigSlick

am i the only one who might consider raising the minimum?the reason is that if BOTH players push/call, then you can lean towards thinking that you don't have the best hand. but if only one calls/pushes, you can follow suit.you might even steal the blinds, with the littlest risk possible.aseem
If you raise the minimum, you've already committed yourself to the pot. You won't' be able to fold.
Raising the minimum is what I picked, because I was the first one to respond and "push all-in" wasn't an option on the poll at that point! :D
I originally said move all in, but after thinking about it a little more, I'd probably fold the hand. Granted you are on the button and less than 10x the BB, but still you only have the 102nd best hand possible in Hold'Em. I'd play it conservatively until the blinds come around again. Chances are, you'll find a better hand than A7o.
102nd best?you're only behind the 13 pairs, and the 6 better aces. so you're holding #20 as far as just the ranks of the cards go for this situation. Hell, there are only 91 hands, or 169 if you distinguish between suited and offsuit, IIRC.Just wondering how you got that ranking, especially since this is a hand that will run purely hot and cold
169 possible hole cards. A7o is ranked 102nd; however, that's based on 10 players. According to the information I have, A7o will win 8.83% of the time. The next highest ranked hand (101st) is A5o, mainly because it can be connected to the straight.

I voted raise the minimum only because going all in seems like a steal attempt. WIth your stack, by raising you pretty much let them know you are willing to put all your chips in, but it looks like you want a call. Maybe more likely to get win the blinds here. I'm not sure I agree with myself here. I'd probably end up pushing all in actually, but I don't necessarily hate the raising the minimum play.

Well I think I would raise the min, but I am a more conservative player, if either the SB or BB have anything they'll more than likely come over top of you. if the BB has 2200 in chips is he gonna risk half his stack on a bluff(knowing your stack size), i don't think so. the min raise is 400 which is 18% of his stack he would have to commit which is still a big chunk for him. But if has a hand he would probably play back at you because he is out of position(UTG), he would have a solid hand. If he pushed at that point I would fold. but if he called you could go off how he plays from there and what the flop offers you.but I'm an amatuer only playing for the last few months, thats what I would do.Plus, you can't win being busted...and A7 offsuit is kindofa a weak hand in my opinion. A wired pair of 2's could kick your ass.

Ok' date=' so you are playing a one table quickstart online and have 1100 in chips left with blinds at 100-200. There are five players left and 8000 in play so you are behind obviously. [i']You are on the button with A-7 offsuit and everyone else folds. The small blind has 650 left and the big blind has 2200. [/i]Your in dealer seat. this means with five people, you could pass up this hand, and see 2 more hands for nothing, and 200 on the 3rd. This would also give you the potential to improve your position because you have that small blind guy who is cring for mercy. If you stay in the hand, you have the potential of passing up one more better seating position. Of course, this hand can be played tons of ways, but sitting this one out would probably be the best.

I didn't read anyone elses reply yet.It's not just about the hand, it's about the situation. You probably wont find a better situation if you fold and wait. The BB will not call unless he has a good hand, because if he does and loses the hand, he's crippled. The small blind is coming along no matter what, therefore has any random hand.A7o is a 60% favorite to any random hand.If I had 99 and somehow knew my opponent had AK, I would push all my chips in this situation. Here, you are even more of a favorite to win the hand. And, god forbid, you lose, you still have a .0001% of coming back...better than 0%, right?I thought about folding, too. The BB is getting 2-1 on his money, and may make a call if he feels like gambling. But A7o is a 40% favorite against two random hands. so, almost half of the time you will win 3,000. You're not a favorite if both call, but it's a risk i'm willing to take in this situation.What if the BB wakes up with a decent hand? Let's say any broadway or any pair. In this case, it is correct for him to call getting 2-1 on his money. But, A7o is still winning 30% of the time...2-1. If he calls, you're getting 3-1 on a 2-1 shot. I take it every time with 5xBB. You got no time to wait, and this situation is one of the best you're getting in the next 3-4 hands.Anyone disagree?

Minimum raise!?You are letting the BB get a cheap chance to bust you. I say boo on the mini raise, you're getting you money in the pot no matter what, you might as well make the BB sweat a call. That gives you a certain % extra for taking down the pot. Minimum raising does not.All in/fold/miniraise-in that order.

This looks like a variation of quiz 1. Raise minimum gives us two chances to steal the pot. If either blind plays and checks the flop, bet about half the remaining stack. Bet all in if the flop is good. Poker players are a suspicious group. When you bet all in, they think you're bluffing.Would only consider folding if there were two super short stacks. By super short, both would need to be less than 400 in chips.

This looks like a variation of quiz 1. Raise minimum gives us two chances to steal the pot. If either blind plays and checks the flop, bet about half the remaining stack. Bet all in if the flop is good. Poker players are a suspicious group. When you bet all in, they think you're bluffing.Would only consider folding if there were two super short stacks. By super short, both would need to be less than 400 in chips.
Is this a joke?Forgive me if it's not. I'm really wondering.

Alright, 16 combinations of AK-A8, so that's 96 combinations of better aces. Add in the 13 separate pocket pairs at 12 combos apiece, and that's 156 combinations. 252 combos that are ahead of you. 60 of which are coinflips. Every other possible combination of cards Each opponent has a 252/1404 chance of holding a hand that is ahead preflop. 17.9%A 192/1404 chance of holding a hand that is a 2-1 favorite over you. 13.6%. Compound that by 2 opponents: 67% chance your hand is a 2-1 or greater favorite over each of the hands remaining.74% chance you're not dominated by either hand behind you.You're in 4th in chips in a tournament that pays 3, and doesn't really pay #3 all that well. If A7o isn't good enough with 5.5x BB, something's wrong with you, and with the relative stacks, it's all-in time.

Alright, 16 combinations of AK-A8, so that's 96 combinations of better aces. Add in the 13 separate pocket pairs at 12 combos apiece, and that's 156 combinations. 252 combos that are ahead of you. 60 of which are coinflips. Every other possible combination of cards Each opponent has a 252/1404 chance of holding a hand that is ahead preflop. 17.9%A 192/1404 chance of holding a hand that is a 2-1 favorite over you. 13.6%. Compound that by 2 opponents: 67% chance your hand is a 2-1 or greater favorite over each of the hands remaining.74% chance you're not dominated by either hand behind you.You're in 4th in chips in a tournament that pays 3, and doesn't really pay #3 all that well. If A7o isn't good enough with 5.5x BB, something's wrong with you, and with the relative stacks, it's all-in time.
You da man.

Announcements