my first royal flush

Doesn't infer mean suggest?
Common usage has now come to where it is acceptable to some to use it that way, but it shouldn't be. "Infer" means basically to conclude from evidence or to reason to a conclusion. Imply means to suggest or indicate.This has been quite a successul hijack though.
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Common usage has now come to where it is acceptable to some to use it that way, but it shouldn't be. "Infer" means basically to conclude from evidence or to reason to a conclusion. Imply means to suggest or indicate.
Entry number four from Merriam Webster (above) would seem to suggest otherwise.
Common usage has now come to where it is acceptable to some to use it that way, but it shouldn't be. "Infer" means basically to conclude from evidence or to reason to a conclusion. Imply means to suggest or indicate.This has been quite a successul hijack though.
So, "I wasn't trying to conclude that he was a donkey based on the evidence that he lost all his money on the low end of a straight flush." Doesn't it still work?
Common usage has now come to where it is acceptable to some to use it that way, but it shouldn't be. "Infer" means basically to conclude from evidence or to reason to a conclusion. Imply means to suggest or indicate.
See, I knew it. I knew my parents didn't waste thousands and thousands of dollars on a degree in English. Well, actually, they did, but that's besides the point.
See, I knew it. I knew my parents didn't waste thousands and thousands of dollars on a degree in English. Well, actually, they did, but that's besides the point.
My parents didn't waste any money on any degree for me. I'm just a fucking genius.
It would seem to imply that that's an acceptable usage, but it's wrong. You would be correct to infer that I consider myself to be right and Merriam Webster to be wrong.
It would seem to imply that that's an acceptable usage, but it's wrong. You would be correct to infer that I consider myself to be right and Merriam Webster to be wrong.
What the fool cannot learn, he laughs at, thinking that by his laughter he shows superiority instead of a latent idiocy. - Marie Corelli

Kenneth G. Wilson (1923–). The Columbia Guide to Standard American English. 1993. infer, imply (vv.) You imply—that is, “hint at or suggest (usually indirectly)”—and your readers or listeners must then infer from your hints what it is they understand your words to mean (which may not always be what you intend to say): If he implies that the mayor is dishonest, you may infer from what he says that he thinks the mayor’s a crook. He later said he had meant to imply nothing of the sort, but from his remarks some of us had inferred that the mayor was a crook. Imply often has a pejorative overtone, suggesting that whatever is being implied is not laudable and that the speaker is hinting at wrongdoing without actually charging it: I wasn’t sure what she was implying, but it didn’t sound good. If you imply things about someone, what you say is generally not to that person’s credit. Infer seems not to pose that danger; its chief usage problem is that it is frequently misused for imply, and for many Standard users, that’s a shibboleth. Keep them straight.

The American Heritage® Book of English Usage. A Practical and Authoritative Guide to Contemporary English. 1996. 3. Word Choice: New Uses, Common Confusion, and Constraints § 174. infer / imply People sometimes confuse infer with imply, but the distinction is a useful one. When we say that a speaker or sentence implies something, we mean that information is conveyed or suggested without being stated outright: When the mayor said that she would not rule out a business tax increase, she implied (not inferred) that some taxes might be raised. Inference, on the other hand, is the activity performed by a reader or interpreter in drawing conclusions that are not explicit in what is said: When the mayor said that she would not rule out a tax increase, we inferred that she had been consulting with some new financial advisers, since her old advisers were in favor of tax reductions. 1

neener neener neener
Touche. Even though I agree with you on the more proper way to use the term what Hobbes did was not technically grammatically incorrect. It would have been better to use "imply" but you cannot flat out say that he is wrong in this instance. I addressed this in my origninal response in this thread. It sounds awkward because it is not the best word to use, but, because the English language is in a constant state of evolution modern grammar allows it even though it is somewhat crude.
neener neener neener
Touche. Even though I agree with you on the more proper way to use the term what Hobbes did was not technically grammatically incorrect. It would have been better to use "imply" but you cannot flat out say that he is wrong in this instance. I addressed this in my origninal response in this thread. It sounds awkward because it is not the best word to use, but, because the English language is in a constant state of evolution modern grammar allows it even though it is somewhat crude.
Clearly it's a minor point - we all knew what he meant. And I agree that the language evolves and should be allowed to do so (after all, we aren't the French). But to me, certain things are annoying. I've seen dictionaries that now show "nu' kya ler" as an acceptable pronunciation of nuclear. All I can say is "ugh."By the way, if I'm annoyed by his use of "infer" and I don't know his real name and email address, is he now in violation of that cyber annoyance law?
neener neener neener
Clearly it's a minor point - we all knew what he meant. And I agree that the language evolves and should be allowed to do so (after all, we aren't the French). But to me, certain things are annoying. I've seen dictionaries that now show "nu' kya ler" as an acceptable pronunciation of nuclear. All I can say is "ugh."By the way, if I'm annoyed by his use of "infer" and I don't know his real name and email address, is he now in violation of that cyber annoyance law?
Things like that annoy me too. I got on somebody's case a while back when they used some odd intrasitive verb that was a back formation from another common term. Turns out it was in the most recent dictionaries, and I was wrong. I learned my lesson, and took the "new school" side this time. :club: By the way, I punch the throat of anybody I hear saying, "nu' kya ler."
i have had two royals in my life one won my a 50 dollar pot at 3/6 and th eother won me 8 dollar at 50 max no limit, exciting but not that profitable when hit
But I get criticized for improper use of the word "infer." :roll: Seriously though, it doesn't bother me. It's good to know...
Things like that annoy me too. I got on somebody's case a while back when they used some odd intrasitive verb that was a back formation from another common term. Turns out it was in the most recent dictionaries, and I was wrong. I learned my lesson, and took the "new school" side this time. :club: By the way, I punch the throat of anybody I hear saying, "nu' kya ler."
I have a lot of pet peeves of that type, unfortunately. For example, people say "irregardless" and "orientated." It makes me want to scream.I also cringe when people turn nouns into verbs. The worst was that Office Depot commercial that said "the new way to office." I haven't been to an Office Depot since.
i have had two royals in my life one won my a 50 dollar pot at 3/6 and th eother won me 8 dollar at 50 max no limit, exciting but not that profitable when hit
But I get criticized for improper use of the word "infer." :roll: Seriously though, it doesn't bother me. It's good to know...
He's beyond help. You're an intelligent, reasonable person who might change if corrected. Correcting him would only result in a response similar to this, "Fuk you, you stupid censoridians!11!! I make eleventy billion dollars online every day! You new what i ment!!1!one!!eleven!!!"
I have a lot of pet peeves of that type, unfortunately. For example, people say "irregardless" and "orientated." It makes me want to scream.I also cringe when people turn nouns into verbs. The worst was that Office Depot commercial that said "the new way to office." I haven't been to an Office Depot since.
I HATE "irregardless." that's a big pet peeve of mine. I've never seen that commercial, but it sounds pretty annoying. I'm kind of an oddball because I'm a 21 year old with no formal education past high school and a couple semesters at a JC, but grammar errors really irk me. My friends always get pissed when I correct them.
Calvin: "I like to verb words." Hobbes: "What?" Calvin: "I take nouns and adjectives and use them as verbs. Remember when `access' was a thing? Now it's something you do . It got verbed." Calvin: "Verbing weirds language." Hobbes: "Maybe we can eventually make language a complete impediment to understanding." - Calvin & Hobbes, by Bill Watterson
Calvin: "I like to verb words." Hobbes: "What?" Calvin: "I take nouns and adjectives and use them as verbs. Remember when `access' was a thing? Now it's something you do . It got verbed." Calvin: "Verbing weirds language." Hobbes: "Maybe we can eventually make language a complete impediment to understanding." - Calvin & Hobbes, by Bill Watterson
BAHAHAHAHAH! I remember that comic. I used to read Calvin and Hobbes all the time until I gave all my books to my little brother. Time to steal them back.
First Royal Flush thread turned into a grammar discussion. This censored would have never happened before the charter. And before Daniel sold everyone out with his new site.
Except that those talking about grammar all joined before the charter membership deal, so I don't see what that has to do with it.
I thought I had seen all the Calvin & Hobbes strips. I love that strip, but I don't remember that one. But I have been known to tell people how much I hate the verbification of the English language.
First Royal Flush thread turned into a grammar discussion. This censored would have never happened before the charter. And before Daniel sold everyone out with his new site.
Except that those talking about grammar all joined before the charter membership deal, so I don't see what that has to do with it.
Don't bring your silly logic here sir! Peddle your goods elsewhere!P.S. I'm not even a Charter Member.
This still never happened before. Forum is so lheyme you have to argue about proper grammar. Ever wonder why none of the older vets seldom post?