what music are you guys listening to?

yeah, i shouldn't post late nights, i get all loopy.. i thought you were making a smart assed comment like i would make. my apologys
Your reaction seemed unnecessary, but who was I to defuse a completely pointless slap-fight?
  • Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hans, boubie, I'm your white knight

holy shit, I can't stop listening to Run The Jewels 2

Bob Dylan.

finally listened to liquid swords for the first time this weekend (I have no idea why I haven't up to this point, but I digress) and it is just plain awesome. genius, if you will. I really like wu-tang quite a bit.dutch: you know of anything else out there like RJD2? thats probably my favorite recommendation of yours.

finally listened to liquid swords for the first time this weekend (I have no idea why I haven't up to this point, but I digress) and it is just plain awesome. genius, if you will. I really like wu-tang quite a bit.dutch: you know of anything else out there like RJD2? thats probably my favorite recommendation of yours.
I think my next favorite RJD2 is probably the record he made with Blueprint as Soul Position.
m83 is maybe kinda like rjd2.
Hmmm you'll like DJ Shadow, if that hasn't already been recommended to you. I don't know how similar I would say it is to Rjd2. It's a trip-hop album, and fucking amazing, so you should download it for that reason alone. Start with ...Endtroducing and work your way up.
Do you have any Waffle invites? I've been a good boy, kind of, on What.
yep. I'll ship when they open invites again. They play games with the invitation periods to make it impossible to reliably ebay them.
Anyone know if the new Black Keys is any good?
I sure liked it. It's definitely a new angle for them. Bigd, if you can keep a good ratio, I'd be glad to invite you. I need a non-hotmail email address to send it to. Listening to the avalanches' since I left you. Awesome stuff, I really regret not getting this years ago when I heard the title track.
Hmmm you'll like DJ Shadow, if that hasn't already been recommended to you. I don't know how similar I would say it is to Rjd2. It's a trip-hop album, and fucking amazing, so you should download it for that reason alone. Start with ...Endtroducing and work your way up.
I just downloaded Dj Shadow and Dan the automator's "Bombay the hard way" I'm going to listen to it later.

RJD2 Blueprint as Soul Position, m83, DJ Shadow. I will be checking these out shortly, probably have to get them in the morning. internet's too slow at night. much thanks for the recommendations.

also, Diplo and Ratatat are both in similar genres and both good.and i dont know how anyone feels about Bassnectar, but after seeing him while tripping, i really cant help but love that goofy looking bastard.

ALSOsuperhipster points for anyone who knows about Toe.theyre japanese and mostly instrumental, their drummer is ****ing amazing.
yep. I'll ship when they open invites again. They play games with the invitation periods to make it impossible to reliably ebay them. ----Listening to the avalanches' since I left you. Awesome stuff, I really regret not getting this years ago when I heard the title track.
I appreciate the invites, kid; you's 'nuff righ.I can't say how much I love that Aves record. ----Directed at my favorite posters, i.e. the ones who know enough about PC musicianship to help me out:A while back I downloaded Fruity Loops, and then (at MK's suggestion) Live, which I've used like twice, for a couple seconds, because they're complicated, and I'm easily frustrated. I got bored again this week, and decided to actually try some of this stuff. FL and Live both have built-in tutorials, which I still haven't used, but plan to, and I bought a MIDI cable, and successfully hooked up my keyboard (it's a real like piano keyboard, with weighted keys an' all, which I imagine will make a lot of percussion stuff tougher, but it's what I have), which makes a bunch of things more fun is nothing else, and I guess my logical next step is just to try to figure out how to make a beat.My real question is similar to the last one: which program should I try to figure out first? Can someone with experience with this stuff explain which is better for what, why it's good to use both, etc.?Also, the guy who sold me my cable, whose name was Corn Bread and is therefore awesome, told me I should also steal Reason 4(5?6?), which from what I gathered is some kind of modulator with tons of other tones and sounds. Is this correct? Is it actually something I want? Can I somehow operate it through one of my main programs (FL or Live)? Am I just wasting time by asking all these stupid little questions instead of just cracking down and working through some tutorials?
Directed at my favorite posters, i.e. the ones who know enough about PC musicianship to help me out:A while back I downloaded Fruity Loops, and then (at MK's suggestion) Live, which I've used like twice, for a couple seconds, because they're complicated, and I'm easily frustrated. I got bored again this week, and decided to actually try some of this stuff. FL and Live both have built-in tutorials, which I still haven't used, but plan to, and I bought a MIDI cable, and successfully hooked up my keyboard (it's a real like piano keyboard, with weighted keys an' all, which I imagine will make a lot of percussion stuff tougher, but it's what I have), which makes a bunch of things more fun is nothing else, and I guess my logical next step is just to try to figure out how to make a beat.My real question is similar to the last one: which program should I try to figure out first? Can someone with experience with this stuff explain which is better for what, why it's good to use both, etc.?Also, the guy who sold me my cable, whose name was Corn Bread and is therefore awesome, told me I should also steal Reason 4(5?6?), which from what I gathered is some kind of modulator with tons of other tones and sounds. Is this correct? Is it actually something I want? Can I somehow operate it through one of my main programs (FL or Live)? Am I just wasting time by asking all these stupid little questions instead of just cracking down and working through some tutorials?
if you are talking about ableton live, i would start out with fruityloops, even though both are considered easy to use and well organized as far as these things go. try making a beat in fruityloops without using midi, just use the collections of instruments they have, like the default one that comes up, and add whatever you want to it. you make the beats in the screen with all the little rectangles. clicking on one highlights it and makes the sample play at that spot. the sequencer is where you can arrange your different patterns. the samples and effects are on the menu on the left. just play around with it thats really the only way to learn this stuff. for using midi, a tutorial would probly be your best bet. or just look in the help file for some info. ableton live is a little more complex and used more with midi stuff generally. but its awesome and really powerful.i was never impressed with reason. the programs you have now can do anything it does and more, and are much simpler to use. but reaktor is a really nice program you may want to look into once you have an understanding of these first two.

Watching OAR on MusicHD live from Madison Sq. Heard some of these guys song but not much. Obv know crazy game of poker and some other ones. Are these guys just a unglorified DMB or do they have a solid sound?

Watching OAR on MusicHD live from Madison Sq. Heard some of these guys song but not much. Obv know crazy game of poker and some other ones. Are these guys just a unglorified DMB or do they have a solid sound?
I think they're pretty worthless for the reason you stated. It's been a long time since I heard anything from them, so grain of salt etc
I think they're pretty worthless for the reason you stated. It's been a long time since I heard anything from them, so grain of salt etc
No they still suck, always have. I actually despise them.
Just watched the whole concert...pretty much a poors man DMB and all songs sound the same. Dont HATE them.
I remember when they were pretty big (mainly at college, of course) and I had a friend or two that really liked them. I just remember every time I heard them the only thing I could think of was "really?" I mean, what in the world made them, well, anything? to me they sounded like a couple of guys who sat around one day, decided to try to learn instruments, then started a band the week after.
I remember when they were pretty big (mainly at college, of course) and I had a friend or two that really liked them. I just remember every time I heard them the only thing I could think of was "really?" I mean, what in the world made them, well, anything? to me they sounded like a couple of guys who sat around one day, decided to try to learn instruments, then started a band the week after.
Yea I think my hatred for them stems a lot from being on a college campus and the ridiculous love-affair that so many college students (mostly frat-boys) have with them.
if you are talking about ableton live, i would start out with fruityloops, even though both are considered easy to use and well organized as far as these things go. try making a beat in fruityloops without using midi, just use the collections of instruments they have, like the default one that comes up, and add whatever you want to it. you make the beats in the screen with all the little rectangles. clicking on one highlights it and makes the sample play at that spot. the sequencer is where you can arrange your different patterns. the samples and effects are on the menu on the left. just play around with it thats really the only way to learn this stuff. for using midi, a tutorial would probly be your best bet. or just look in the help file for some info. ableton live is a little more complex and used more with midi stuff generally. but its awesome and really powerful.i was never impressed with reason. the programs you have now can do anything it does and more, and are much simpler to use. but reaktor is a really nice program you may want to look into once you have an understanding of these first two.
OK...well then what's the best way to find an ass-load of new, good sounds and instruments for FL or Ableton Live? I mean, clearly they're out there; ever ******* doesn't have to sample thousands of records to build a virtual crate. I imagine there's some incredibly obvious source and one-click way to import them all.
Yea I think my hatred for them stems a lot from being on a college campus and the ridiculous love-affair that so many college students (mostly frat-boys) have with them.
i had to work at an OAR concert once. i was assigned to watch this fence between the general admission field seats and the closer real seats. 6 hours of standing between 2 huge mobs of drunk OAR fans while their shitty music was being blasted in my ears. the whole time i had to tell anyone standing on or near the fence to back away to keep a path clear. every single time i had to tell someone to move they freaked out on me. some wouldnt move and i had to get my manager to threaten them. a lot of them would just completely ignore me and keep singing along to their terrible songs. i wanted to hit so many of them, but then i would have a drunk mob trying to kill me. this was also near the hometown of OAR so everyone was insane for them. such a bad night. this was like a week after a nickelback concert that was a similar experience. but i did get to see ted leo, broken social scene, and belle and sebastian one night at that venue, so that was nice.
shadow was definitely a good rec. i'll add the obv related first U.N.K.L.E. record, psyence fiction, which everyone should own and love. (dj shadow and james lavelle plus the best guest vocalists evar - ian brown, thom yorke etc)i was also gonna rec diplo but burgundy beat me to that, nj.others you might enjoy: j dilla (aka jay dee), daedelus, prefuse 73
My real question is similar to the last one: which program should I try to figure out first? Can someone with experience with this stuff explain which is better for what, why it's good to use both, etc.?Also, the guy who sold me my cable, whose name was Corn Bread and is therefore awesome, told me I should also steal Reason 4(5?6?), which from what I gathered is some kind of modulator with tons of other tones and sounds. Is this correct? Is it actually something I want? Can I somehow operate it through one of my main programs (FL or Live)? Am I just wasting time by asking all these stupid little questions instead of just cracking down and working through some tutorials?
you can use either for simple sequencing and both are capable of tons of other useful things...it all comes down to finding software that you like using/are comfortable and speedy with.or you could just buy an mpc and say software is lame, i wouldn't blame you.read through the tutorials, read articles from sound on sound, electronic musician (both are print mags), read gearslutz (forum)
OK...well then what's the best way to find an ass-load of new, good sounds and instruments for FL or Ableton Live? I mean, clearly they're out there; ever ******* doesn't have to sample thousands of records to build a virtual crate. I imagine there's some incredibly obvious source and one-click way to import them all.
you probably want to make hip hop beats (and who can blame you), so the factory sample libraries will probably not suffice. granted, if you understand how to mix you can work with almost anything. but for a beginner, you probably just want some good-sounding kicks and snares which you just drop onto channels and start sequencing immed without worrying too much about mixing right away. hop onto what.cd, filter just to Apps (sound) and do a search for "library", "sample library", "samples", you get the idea. through various trackers and p2p sites you can probably find samples from every drum machine ever made.