poker stars banned my chat for saying "gay"

Wooooooooooooo Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! [siren]Grammar Officer DunkinDonuts reporting for duty..."... [T]here are some folks out there that calling me a douchebag would offend." I think what you are trying to say is, "There are some folks out there who would be offended if they were called douchebags." As it is currently structured, the modifying clause "that calling me a douchebag would offend" is so piteously mangled that it seems as though you are recasting the present-progressive verb phrase "calling me a douche bag" as a subject, and ascribing to it the quality of offensiveness.Even when I take off my schmuck hat and try to give your syntax the benefit of the doubt, I find myself questioning whether you did, in fact, intend to claim that certain sensitive folks would be vicariously offended if someone called you a douchebag."... different than..."Different from."When you breach the sensitivity level of a person, you have offended them..."Just a simple case of subject-pronoun agreement, which I will abbreviate in future posts as "S/P" for brevity's sake. When possible, the politically correct construction is to include both genders, i.e. "you have offended him or her," however either by itself is permissible. When discussing hermaphrodites, it is usually appropriate to substitute a pronoun that corresponds to the gender with which the subject most readily identifies himself or herself. It is not appropriate to refer to a hermaphrodite as "it."With regard to the overall theme of your post, which is steeped in warped Randian rhetoric, there is a conceptual inconsistency that might give the average reader pause:"When I take my 'sensitivity' training at work..." juxtaposed with, "Those who can't, that's their problem."Your concluding statement, which accomlishes the dual functions of being both succinct and painting you as an unapologetic oaf, suggests that you never actually attended sensitivity training courses, or that, at the very least, you made it a point not to pay attention. Perhaps you should add a sentence about how by "take" you mean "callously disregard."I understand that you're insensitive. As a hardened, self-styled academic who acknowledges his tendency to belittle others and pass it off as wit, I am not particularly sensitive, either. You can question my sexuality and I won't get mad. I might accidentally spill hot coffee on your face, but I won't be mad. So when I say that your opinions are a waste of space and that you have the insight of a turnip, do you promise you'll let it roll of your back and refrain from trying to defend yourself?Love,Officer DunkinDonutsP.S. Misusing the word "gay" and then making sensitivity a scapegoat for ignorance is one of my pet peeves. :clap: :clap: :clap:Friggin prima donna..

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Custom said:

I should've remembered you live in Canada. Sorry Royal. Canada and the US are two VERY different societies. In the US, there are a ton of parents that don't even want their children to know what a homosexual is.
Very Very true...I.e.from Missourigot a cousin whos homosexual.. outted himself about 8 months agoour aunt forces 2 of our other little cousins to wash there face and hands after they hug and say hello to him...and she trys to be discreet about it which makes it ten times worse...and i dont believe she is really at fault... to a degree.. shes been sheltered her whole life and our society in large part helped her form her beliefs and feelings towards homosexuals...
Custom said:
I should've remembered you live in Canada. Sorry Royal. Canada and the US are two VERY different societies. In the US, there are a ton of parents that don't even want their children to know what a homosexual is.
Very Very true...I.e.from Missourigot a cousin whos homosexual.. outted himself about 8 months agoour aunt forces 2 of our other little cousins to wash there face and hands after they hug and say hello to him...and she trys to be discreet about it which makes it ten times worse...and i dont believe she is really at fault... to a degree.. shes been sheltered her whole life and our society in large part helped her form her beliefs and feelings towards homosexuals...
You seem to have turned out pretty well for a guy from Missouri. Of course, I base that solely on this post.Have you tried educating your aunt? I had to educate my dad.
P.S. I meant no offence to the OP or anyone else... just my 2 cents guys... I ran outta Coronas and found a 1/2 bottle of Evan under the couch... the stuff kinda makes me strange :club:
Finding alcohol under the couch is +EV.
Seriously, are we still talking about this? :::searches frantically under the couch:::
Why? Man, gay is used in so many different contexts these days.I use the term to describe something as lame rather than homosexual.
lol, royal vegas turned my chat off for promoting party poker, lol
Custom said:
You seem to have turned out pretty well for a guy from Missouri. Of course, I base that solely on this post.Have you tried educating your aunt? I had to educate my dad.
How is a moderator gonna insult my state like that...come on man!!!! I thought mods couldn't do that!!!!!!!!I'm not really serious
Friggin prima donna..
So much for letting it roll off your back' date=' turnip. Sheesh' date=' you're so "sensitive."[/quoteI'm not offended by you nor your 50 cent vocabulary. You are what you are.[/quote'']You quote well.
What ever happened to that ice cream topping that hardened into a shell?Never could figure out how that worked.Probably had plastic in it.
Which would explain why an entire generation of children were constipated.
Oh! And have you had that MilkyWay ice cream topping.DEE-licious!
Hmmm, how many times can I quote my own posts before it becomes, well, you know...or as meaningless as this thread.
Edited
I know this is the obvious joke but I still laughed- well played. Look, the truth is this- homosexuals don't even refer to themselves as gay anymore, it's so, well, gay. I have quite a few homosexual friends and you would be suprised how much it has reversed in there minds, in that for the most part they believe that they are actually more evolved than a straight person because they have an ability to love that we can never tap into- which is bull and my homo friends and I have this debate off and on- but, seriously, I take more s hit for being straight than they have ever taken from me or anyone I know, in this new era of the strong empowered homosexual. It's a live and let live world now, no matter what you believe so in my mind the use of the word gay is back in the straights camp, and overalll it means lame.

First of all....I don't get the question...The OP asked if the PS chat rules are too "conservative".....Doesn't he mean "strict"?conservative is not the opposite of liberal in this case.and yes...grow up....you don't have to insult anyone....you should be banned for life...and I mean life...you should be banned from the face of the earth for posting this garbage.

Woodbelly.....Your ignorance is truly remarkable. Even if the fact that your use of the word gay could be considered offensive escapes you, you need to review pokerstars policies. The policy states they do not allow insults. This would also include your attempt to insult the player insulting Moneymaker. You violated their policy, you are banned, end discusion.DunkinDonuts......You are too funny. I have considered myself part of the grammar police here, but I realize now that I am just a lowly academy plebe and you , Sir, are the Commissioner. Econ Tim, Steve, Custom (and others)......Thank you for trying to be the voices of reason here. Each of you have presented well written and thoughtful explanations.To those of you who just don't get it...... I'll bring up the example of my 11 year old son, Joey. He started middle school this fall and has been developing a new vocabulary. Instead of "Hi Mom", he now announces "Wassup people of the world" as he comes in the door each day. It's annoying, but not repugnant. He now also likes to call everything that he finds boring or distasteful "gay." Unpacking the dishwasher is "so gay", the new rugby shirt I bought for him, "the gayest shirt known to mankind", etc, etc. The phrases that you twenty somethings and teenagers use trickles down to younger kids. O Obviously I explain to my son that I don't like his choice of wording and it is not allowed. We discuss how those phrases can be hurtful to someone who is gay. He knows several adults who are homosexual and acknowledges that these phrases would be rude to say in front of them. He understands that in theory, but still thinks it's cool because everyone says it. He has said it many times in front of his friend, Steve. I don't mean to offend anyone here by making this prediction based on traditional stereotypes, but Steve's mom and I agree that it seems like Steve is gay. At 11, I don't know if Steve has figured that out yet. How hurtful it must be for him to have to hear the word gay used as a negative from everyone at school, including his best friend ! People who think words don't matter need to think before they speak (or write ! ) It doesn't matter that it doesn't hurt anyone in your little circle. As a society, we need to look at the whole picture. There are people out there who could be hurt by your insensitivity and ignorance. There are plenty of other words that would fit the situation. Why is it so difficult to be nonoffensive ?

Woodbelly.....Your ignorance is truly remarkable. Even if the fact that your use of the word gay could be considered offensive escapes you, you need to review pokerstars policies. The policy states they do not allow insults. This would also include your attempt to insult the player insulting Moneymaker. You violated their policy, you are banned, end discusion.DunkinDonuts......You are too funny. I have considered myself part of the grammar police here, but I realize now that I am just a lowly academy plebe and you , Sir, are the Commissioner. Econ Tim, Steve, Custom (and others)......Thank you for trying to be the voices of reason here. Each of you have presented well written and thoughtful explanations.To those of you who just don't get it...... I'll bring up the example of my 11 year old son, Joey. He started middle school this fall and has been developing a new vocabulary. Instead of "Hi Mom", he now announces "Wassup people of the world" as he comes in the door each day. It's annoying, but not repugnant. He now also likes to call everything that he finds boring or distasteful "gay." Unpacking the dishwasher is "so gay", the new rugby shirt I bought for him, "the gayest shirt known to mankind", etc, etc. The phrases that you twenty somethings and teenagers use trickles down to younger kids. O Obviously I explain to my son that I don't like his choice of wording and it is not allowed. We discuss how those phrases can be hurtful to someone who is gay. He knows several adults who are homosexual and acknowledges that these phrases would be rude to say in front of them. He understands that in theory, but still thinks it's cool because everyone says it. He has said it many times in front of his friend, Steve. I don't mean to offend anyone here by making this prediction based on traditional stereotypes, but Steve's mom and I agree that it seems like Steve is gay. At 11, I don't know if Steve has figured that out yet. How hurtful it must be for him to have to hear the word gay used as a negative from everyone at school, including his best friend ! People who think words don't matter need to think before they speak (or write ! ) It doesn't matter that it doesn't hurt anyone in your little circle. As a society, we need to look at the whole picture. There are people out there who could be hurt by your insensitivity and ignorance. There are plenty of other words that would fit the situation. Why is it so difficult to be nonoffensive ?
Great Post.
you know an 11-yr-old who you think is gay? ok......that's odd, but whatever.It's not hard to be nonoffensive, but I'm not going to apologize for offending someone with a word that's not even directed at them. Well written post, I understand your point and respect it.
The word "gay" for instance, originally meant "happy. Then it meant "homosexual". Now it's changing to mean "lame". In 20 yeears, it could mean "funny". Who knows.
Get real here. A slur is a slur. Using "gay" to mean lame is no more an accidental outgrowth of language than using "Jew" to mean cheap is. Society regards both as slurs: correctly so. If slurs are part of your vocabulary, fine, but accept reality.
The word "gay" for instance, originally meant "happy.  Then it meant "homosexual".  Now it's changing to mean "lame".  In 20 yeears, it could mean "funny".  Who knows.
Get real here. A slur is a slur. Using "gay" to mean lame is no more an accidental outgrowth of language than using "Jew" to mean cheap is. Society regards both as slurs: correctly so. If slurs are part of your vocabulary, fine, but accept reality.
I agree with Muncipal Hare...I understand both camps, especially since I'm not sensitive to remarks about me. But I am sensitive to how other people might perceive certain words, and the fact is that using "gay" has been used intermittently to mean "homosexual" and "lame." Using "gay" as a synonym for "lame" ascribes a negative connotation to the word, which reinforces the underlying stigma that homosexuality is, by association, also "lame."I know this has been hashed out ad nauseam, but I still have trouble believing that the defenders of free speech and "it has a new meaning" activists don't acknowledge that the issue is not about whether a person's intent in using the word "gay" in a new context is malicious; it's about how that use takes its roots from the general theory that homosexuality is undesirable, and so using a word that describes (or once described) homosexuals to describe things that are undesirable is a not-so-subtle way of keeping the pattern of discrimination alive.To understand this point, you simply have to put yourself in the place of someone who is gay and ask yourself if it might make him or her feel uncomfortable being a member of a class whose moniker is now used casually to represent things that are "lame." If you can sympathize with this point, then the argument for exercising restraint with the word makes sense. If not, then I can understand why it goes in one ear and out the other, but you should at least be prepared to acknowledge that your stance is entirely egocentric.
Edited
I know this is the obvious joke but I still laughed- well played. Look, the truth is this- homosexuals don't even refer to themselves as gay anymore, it's so, well, gay. I have quite a few homosexual friends and you would be suprised how much it has reversed in there minds, in that for the most part they believe that they are actually more evolved than a straight person because they have an ability to love that we can never tap into- which is bull and my homo friends and I have this debate off and on- but, seriously, I take more s hit for being straight than they have ever taken from me or anyone I know, in this new era of the strong empowered homosexual. It's a live and let live world now, no matter what you believe so in my mind the use of the word gay is back in the straights camp, and overalll it means lame.
uhhhh...
The word "gay" for instance, originally meant "happy.  Then it meant "homosexual".  Now it's changing to mean "lame".  In 20 yeears, it could mean "funny".  Who knows.
This is a silly statement, and it's ignorant. Why perpeuate negative stereotypes for someone who is gay or Jewish? Your excuse of, well society regards it as a slur is rather foolish.