world a i d s day

ribbon.jpgDecember 1st, 2005 is World AIDS Day.Although not the "media darling" it once was, AIDS is killing as many people as ever. GoogledDonate some time or money to stopping AIDS."Stop AIDS. Keep the Promise" mods.....can we please get this stickied?

I think there is something like 1.5 million in the US right now with the disease, but the highest numbers are like plus 5 million in India and South Africa.AIDS awareness is important in our schools, people still need to know what this disease is all about (which is surprising because you would think that anyone who hasn't lived under a rock would know, but its sometimes not the case).Do what you can during the year for causes like researching a cure, same thing with cancer research and others.If everyone took it upon themselves to do even just one significant charitable donation, even something like a $100, every year for just one organization... can you imagine how much closer we might get?I'm keeping my eye open for the next AIDS or breast cancer walk or something like that in the city when it comes around.

If everyone took it upon themselves to do even just one significant charitable donation, even something like a $100, every year for just one organization... can you imagine how much closer we might get?
Not much, unfortunately. A number of countries in Africa have corrupt governments that don't spend any (or much) of the money their given on AIDS relief.And, unfortunately, it seems like a lot of parents would rather just try to forget about it and pretend it doesn't happen, hoping that that approach will rid the world of AIDS, than have their children educated about it (based on what I've seen, anyway).
Not much, unfortunately. A number of countries in Africa have corrupt governments that don't spend any (or much) of the money their given on AIDS relief.
This is unfortunately true, but for the most part, with money going for scientific research to cure AIDS, or cancer, or hunger, or helping poor children, or helping an orphanage make ends meet, I'm sure that a lot of good would come from such a simple idea.Crap. Now we just need to convince everyone in the country, and then the world, to go out and donate money or time once a year.... :?

Everyone has AIDS!AIDS AIDS AIDS!AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS!Everyone has AIDS! And so this is the end of our storyAnd everyone is dead from AIDSIt took from me my best friendMy only true palMy only bright star (he died of AIDS) Well I'm gonna march on WashingtonLead the fight and charge the brigadesThere's a hero inside of all of usI'll make them see everyone has AIDS My father (AIDS!)My sister (AIDS!)My uncle and my cousin and her best friend (AIDS AIDS AIDS!)The gays and the straightsAnd the white and the spades Everyone has AIDS!My grandma and my dog 'ol blue (AIDS AIDS AIDS)The pope has got it and so do you (AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS)C'mon everybody we got quilting to do (AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS)We gotta break down these baricades, everyone hasAIDS! x 20

Everyone has AIDS!AIDS AIDS AIDS!AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS!Everyone has AIDS! And so this is the end of our storyAnd everyone is dead from AIDSIt took from me my best friendMy only true palMy only bright star (he died of AIDS) Well I'm gonna march on WashingtonLead the fight and charge the brigadesThere's a hero inside of all of usI'll make them see everyone has AIDS My father (AIDS!)My sister (AIDS!)My uncle and my cousin and her best friend (AIDS AIDS AIDS!)The gays and the straightsAnd the white and the spades Everyone has AIDS!My grandma and my dog 'ol blue (AIDS AIDS AIDS)The pope has got it and so do you (AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS)C'mon everybody we got quilting to do (AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS)We gotta break down these baricades, everyone hasAIDS! x 20
You beat me you son of a bittch. Once again, I like your style.
You beat me you son of a bittch. Once again, I like your style.
Not only did I beat you, but I did so by almost three hours. PWNED!I like to see that you're keeping that go to attitude though. Well done.P.S. I finally took down one of those deepstack tourneys. Go me!
Sweet, I'm playing in the rebuy tourney on stars here in 15 minutes. the 15k guaranteed. Wish me luck, and hopefully I'll get some more money to pay some more bills. Fucking bills.
Good luck! I'll be home in about 45 minutes, and i'm going to play some then. I'll come rail you, and talk shit to your table.

Well I'm probably gonna sound like an A-hole for saying this but I will anyway. My feeling is that all the money going towards AIDS research should be going to Cancer reasearch and other diseases. AIDS is the only disease where you CAN prevent yourself from contracting it. All you have to do is practice abstinance. I feel bad for kids that are born with it. They should still look for a cure but other diseases are more important. As a human race we could rid the worlds of AIDS.

oh come on we cant sticky every donate money thread that we can think of. tomorrow wont be aids day, you want to have a stickied thread about a single day of the year?
No, I don't think the other one should be stickied either!
Well I'm probably gonna sound like an A-hole for saying this but I will anyway. My feeling is that all the money going towards AIDS research should be going to Cancer reasearch and other diseases. AIDS is the only disease where you CAN prevent yourself from contracting it. All you have to do is practice abstinance. I feel bad for kids that are born with it. They should still look for a cure but other diseases are more important. As a human race we could rid the worlds of AIDS.
So when/if a cure for cancer is found we shouldn't use it on those who smoke?

AIDS is a completely preventable disease, I know I am about to be completely flamed and called an uncaring nazi for this but all the money put towards finding a "cure" is pork government tax paying waste

AIDS is a completely preventable disease, I know I am about to be completely flamed and called an uncaring censored for this but all the money put towards finding a "cure" is pork government tax paying waste
Pork? Yeah, it's pork in the same way that help for the people of Hurricane Katrina is pork. I mean, after all, they didn't have to live there!
AIDS is a completely preventable disease, I know I am about to be completely flamed and called an uncaring censored for this but all the money put towards finding a "cure" is pork government tax paying waste
And people will survive if they don't have gifts to open for Christmas!
Love4hockey's argument, though of course no ill-will is intended, is 100 percent wrong, and Digital monkeys response is just ONE reason why. Cancer can be prevented TO A DEGREE as well. Skin cancer and lung cancer are the two most obvious ones I can think of. Both diseases should be funded equally, there shouldn't be one which is considered "more important." Love4hockey, you aren't a bad person or anything for saying it, that isn't what I am saying, it is just your opinion, but you are 100 percent wrong on this one

hes not wrong in the fact that AIDS is 100% preventable,and dont get me started on how wrong it is to say its the federal governments job to protect and rebuild a city that is, or i guessi can say was, currupt as all get out, then again I dont know why I aruge this, self determination and federalism is dead in these United States, guess tahts why I dont care anymore

Well I'm probably gonna sound like an A-hole for saying this but I will anyway. My feeling is that all the money going towards AIDS research should be going to Cancer reasearch and other diseases. AIDS is the only disease where you CAN prevent yourself from contracting it. All you have to do is practice abstinance.  I feel bad for kids that are born with it. They should still look for a cure but other diseases are more important. As a human race we could rid the worlds of AIDS.
Love4hockey's argument, though of course no ill-will is intended, is 100 percent wrong, and Digital monkeys response is just ONE reason why. Cancer can be prevented TO A DEGREE as well. Skin cancer and lung cancer are the two most obvious ones I can think of. Both diseases should be funded equally, there shouldn't be one which is considered "more important." Love4hockey, you aren't a bad person or anything for saying it, that isn't what I am saying, it is just your opinion, but you are 100 percent wrong on this one
WTF? there you go again saying someones opinion is wrong after making such a big deal when i informed you that one of yours was. and what did you say? "opinions cant be wrong" the hypocrisy makes my head want to explode.wait for it... wait for it...ZINGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hes not wrong in the fact that AIDS is 100% preventable,and dont get me started on how wrong it is to say its the federal  governments job to protect and rebuild a city that is, or i guessi can say was, currupt as all get out, then again I dont know why I aruge this, self determination and federalism is dead in these United States, guess tahts why I dont care anymore
none of this means raising money for cancer should be a higher priority than raising money for AIDS.
Well I'm probably gonna sound like an A-hole for saying this but I will anyway. My feeling is that all the money going towards AIDS research should be going to Cancer reasearch and other diseases. AIDS is the only disease where you CAN prevent yourself from contracting it. All you have to do is practice abstinance.  I feel bad for kids that are born with it. They should still look for a cure but other diseases are more important. As a human race we could rid the worlds of AIDS.
WTF? there you go again saying someones opinion is wrong after making such a big deal when i informed you that one of yours was. and what did you say? "opinions cant be wrong" the hypocrisy makes my head want to explode.wait for it... wait for it...ZINGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I see your point, but I think there is a difference. An opinion about whether to raise money for AIDS or to raise money for cancer and which should be a priority of the other is not the same thing as an opinion on which musical band is the best. An opinion on music is simply a matter or personal preference and there is NO way to record which band is actually "the best" and there is no way that anyone's opinion on the topic will ever really matter in the long run. I think this can be agreed upon, right??? I think so. However, an opinion that cancer should be funded AHEAD of AIDS, which is what he said, is something which CAN be VERY significant to many people's lives if, say, Congress were to unanimously agree on that same opinion. Thus, this "opinion" is much more important/significant than one about music. Here is an example why:Say the President of the United States in 2010 (so we won't have any biases against or for Bush...) comes out and says he has two announcements. First announcement, he states that he feels that Lynyrd Skynyrd is the greatest band of all time. Plenty of people will disagree, surely, but does it matter??? No. Nothing can possibly ever come from this. Next, the President announces that he feels that all funding and research for AIDS should be stopped and that instead, only cancer will be funded and researched. Now, surely, this would cause an absolute outrage among all people with AIDS and their family members and, most likely, lots of other people. There is ALOT that could come from this, as the President would probably try to act on his belief, and thus, his opinion on that matter is MUCH MUCH MUCH more than just a matter of personal preference, it is something which can significantly affect many many lives.This doesn't mean that the poster has this sort of authority to act on his opinion, but it does mean that that opinion on such a moral issue is MUCH different than an opinion on personal preference.I have thus made a pretty good argument as to why you can't say my opinion on AC/DC being the greatest band is wrong, but you CAN say some opinion on such an issue, like AIDS/cancer researching or abortion and such is "right" or "wrong." However, despite making what I think is actually a pretty solid argument once again, I am sure most of you will ignore it all and instead just blindly call me a hypocrite again....so, go ahead, I don't really mind, I know what I am talking about...>OOOOPPSSS, THERE'S THAT ARROGANCE AGAIN, I GUESS I'M A BAD PERSON.