do something for someone else

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted everyone that is interested to know that when I went grocery shopping, there was a HUGE bin there to donate food as you walk out the door. I shopped at a Pick N Save, but I am sure that there are other stores that do the same thing. what a convienent way to donate soemthing, even if it is small. Let's get this thread back to its origional intentions...donate something to someone that is needy, whether it be toys for a child or food for a poor family. Let's help someone that needs it, it is one of the most generous things that people can do, and it also makes you feel like you can make a difference in the life of a child/family.

Making this thread a sticky was stupid. At this time of year, do we really need our poker forum to remind us to be generous and giving? Like there aren't a brazillian reminders out there every day.
It's just a simple reminder, not everyone remembers.Like there aren't a brazillian reminders out there every day.There arent. I have yet to see anything about donating.btw, thanks for the sticky Gov'na
Making this thread a sticky was stupid. At this time of year, do we really need our poker forum to remind us to be generous and giving? Like there aren't a brazillian reminders out there every day.
It's just a simple reminder, not everyone remembers.Like there aren't a brazillian reminders out there every day.There arent. I have yet to see anything about donating.btw, thanks for the sticky Gov'na
you seriously haven't seen anything asking you to donate? Do you live in a cave with high speed access?
you seriously haven't seen anything asking you to donate? Do you live in a cave with high speed access?
Well, I guess I do cave myself up in my computer room. Rarely watch tv anymore. So I guess that might be why.

One of the easiest ways for people here to probably get involved just in time for this season is to check out what your workplace/school offers in programs.I know my job here is taking part in the Toys-for-Tots program, and since I have two little brothers to shop for, I'm just gonna pick something else up.Spending at the least 20 bucks to make a kid feel great for a few weeks, during a time that can be really tough on kids, seems like a small price to pay.And I think all these causes are a good idea, but this topic came up due to the obvious relevance during the time of year.My vote would be for maybe the mods to get together in the next week, and come up with a PC thread title, maybe like "Poker players giving back" in General, where the thread is dedicated to giving people information on different events/ideas throughout the year for any worthy cause like soup kitchens, toys for tots, aids research, etc. and for people to share some positive stories, like the time I took part in a MS bike ride. I'm sure with minimal supervision, a thread like this would be incredibly non-partisian and be a good way for the maximum people here to check out different ways to do something good. No need for anybody to agree or disagree and make a whole arguement about it, just throwing that out there for something to consider.I'm gonna check around and see if there is anything unique going on in the Philadelphia area.

I like to donate to causes where I know that the people in need are actually going to receive the help. I know organizations have administrative costs and have to pay staff, but it bothers me when 3/4 of the donation are eaten up in admin costs. For me personally, instead of giving to the United Way or the American Red Cross, I like to give to those in need personally in an unmarked envelope without my name on it. I don't want credit for helping someone else out.

Senior year, our schools chapter of the NHS decided to run an elderly outreach program in between our blood drives. Our town has a good sized population of elderly people, and we knew that many of them lived alone and maybe didn't have anyone visiting for the holiday.Through someone at the senior center who could point out these people for us, we wound up collecting holiday food, books, and things that they could use during the season, enough for 15 homes. We then split up into groups of 3, each group taking 2 care packages, and went to the people's homes and spent a few hours with them.We made sure we helped them get the food stored away and looked to see if they needed anything done around the house, but mostly we just sat there and talked with them, which was great for most of them because they really didn't get out of the house much.It was definately a great experience, and it was good to know that we had brightened up the holiday season for a couple of people who really didn't have much to look forward to that year.

Because of this thread I have now taken back my donation.
Your parents are probably so proud of you.
Lol... I would put something I regularly say here but I would probably get banned or something. It's hilarious though.

tonight I started my winter job and there is a donation box right beside me... I'll be sure to drop a little something in there. Anyone else pick up extra money in front of Wal-Mart by dressing up as santa and ringing a cow bell? Last year I had my hubcap full of change in just a couple hours...

tonight I started my winter job and there is a donation box right beside me... I'll be sure to drop a little something in there. Anyone else pick up extra money in front of Wal-Mart by dressing up as santa and ringing a cow bell? Last year I had my hubcap full of change in just a couple hours...
Taking a dump in the toy box does NOT spread the holiday spirit.
Senior year, our schools chapter of the NHS decided to run an elderly outreach program in between our blood drives. Our town has a good sized population of elderly people, and we knew that many of them lived alone and maybe didn't have anyone visiting for the holiday.
My senior year I was kicked out of NHS for getting arrested. Maybe it wasn't just for getting arrested...when it happened we were found with a bunch of weed and a scale stolen from the school science lab. Fun times.Donating time, money, and objects is selfish and -EV. You all just do it to feel better about yourselves. Try doing something selfless for a chance. Jerks.RM is a FADeal With It.

I just read this thread now, and this subject has been kinda beaten to death, but I'm going to take my wack at it..I think it's fine and dandy to give donations. Helping others in need can be one of the most rewarding things in life. However, I question how much help is given in the xmas present giving thing, and how much of it is done to make the giver feel good about themselves.People seem to think that the most horrible thing for a poor little kid would be to wake up xmas morning, and not have a present under the tree, because people remember their own youth, and their own joy at opening a present from santa xmas morning. And yes, giving a gift to a poor little kid will make that kid smile xmas morning. But then morning of the 26th, Dad is still a meth addict, and mom still works 80 hours a week to support the family, and that child's future is just as bleak.Poverty is the issue in these childrens lives, and all the ancillary issues that go along with poverty. People think they are helpless or they are just plain uninterested in help solving the issues of poverty, so they instead help solve the issue of waking up on xmas morning without a spongebob squarpants doll. I just have a major problem with the concept that some how giving material gifts and toys makes peoples lives better. All it really does is make them a little more paletable, and allow the fortunate to continue to ignore the real issues, thinking they have done something.If you really want to help poor children, you'll donate your time, not your money in the form of toys. You'll volutenteer in Big Brother programs, or after school sports programs, or mentoring programs, and trying and help people personally. YOu'll give money towards education grants and scholorships. You'll educate your selfs on the terror that poverty reaks on children, all over the country. Or you can buy a barbie doll, and have a warm fuzzy moment for yourself.I know it sounds kinda scrougey, but that's how I feel about the issue. My two cents, take it or leave it. Flame away, if you want, I won't be responding to any flames this time.

I just read this thread now, and this subject has been kinda beaten to death, but I'm going to take my wack at it..I think it's fine and dandy to give donations. Helping others in need can be one of the most rewarding things in life. However, I question how much help is given in the xmas present giving thing, and how much of it is done to make the giver feel good about themselves.People seem to think that the most horrible thing for a poor little kid would be to wake up xmas morning, and not have a present under the tree, because people remember their own youth, and their own joy at opening a present from santa xmas morning. And yes, giving a gift to a poor little kid will make that kid smile xmas morning. But then morning of the 26th, Dad is still a meth addict, and mom still works 80 hours a week to support the family, and that child's future is just as bleak.Poverty is the issue in these childrens lives, and all the ancillary issues that go along with poverty. People think they are helpless or they are just plain uninterested in help solving the issues of poverty, so they instead help solve the issue of waking up on xmas morning without a spongebob squarpants doll. I just have a major problem with the concept that some how giving material gifts and toys makes peoples lives better. All it really does is make them a little more paletable, and allow the fortunate to continue to ignore the real issues, thinking they have done something.If you really want to help poor children, you'll donate your time, not your money in the form of toys. You'll volutenteer in Big Brother programs, or after school sports programs, or mentoring programs, and trying and help people personally. YOu'll give money towards education grants and scholorships. You'll educate your selfs on the terror that poverty reaks on children, all over the country. Or you can buy a barbie doll, and have a warm fuzzy moment for yourself.I know it sounds kinda scrougey, but that's how I feel about the issue. My two cents, take it or leave it. Flame away, if you want, I won't be responding to any flames this time.
i can't help but agree with this. giving toys to tots is of course a meaningful and worthwhile activity. but there are still billions of people in Asia and Africa living in abject poverty, far worse than any but a tiny amount of North Americans live in. Some people may feel it is more important for a child who has lived a hard life to have a day of happiness Christmas morning, and some may feel it is more important for a child who may not live to his next birthday to have some food and medicine, and maybe education in his country.I don't think you can say for certainty whether either causes are more important, or other causes which I have not mentioned (for instance, cancer and AIDS research) but I do think people should consider them all, since every donation does make a difference.Daniel
$300 to a toys-for-tots drive. I figure someone else will do better buying the presents in bulk than me trying to pick gifts....
that's awesome. Feels good, doesn't it?
  • 4 weeks later...

can we please un-sticky this now?Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please?Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please?Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please?Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please?Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please?Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please?

can we please un-sticky this now?Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please?Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please?Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please?Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please?Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please?Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please? Please?