dustin dirksen

Posted: Sun, Nov 20th, 2005 10:55    Post subject:  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------  I agree on the "without much good play involved" part.  He looks like a donkey to me. He's a straight up BetMonkey! He bets at everything.    I disagree that he is not a good player. He plays an extremely aggressive game and will make large bets with nuts and on a bluff….I have seen him several huge pots while leading at the pots with nuts and having callers that shouldn’t even dream of being in the pot. The only reason they call him down is anger.You can tell me he is a fish but if he is playing with in his bankroll the man is tough to beat. I have been watching that game pretty close as I am planning on buying into it in the 6 or 8 months.  If you underestimate him the kid will have you entire stack and you’ll be with quite a few others on the rail whining about how “lucky” he is….
President of the Fan Club
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I am not president of his fan club. I have every intention of going after him hard. The man will give action there is no doubt about it. My point is if you under estimate him your will get crushed.

DD is a very good player. Does his style reming you of another great online NL player? Bet huge with your big hands and draws???? That is Prahlad. He is using his style which is mathamatically unbeatable in the long run. Alot have tried to copy his style, but few have the heart to actually make the bet. I actually thought he was Prahlad at first.

DD is a very good player. Does his style reming you of another great online NL player? Bet huge with your big hands and draws???? That is Prahlad. He is using his style which is mathamatically unbeatable in the long run. Alot have tried to copy his style, but few have the heart to actually make the bet. I actually thought he was Prahlad at first.
I admit to not knowing much about Prahlad and his style, but if any style is mathematically unbeatable, why would it take heart to use it? You know you're winning money in the long run, so just keep pounding away. And if your bankroll takes a short-term hit, there are sure to be backers of a mathematically unbeatable style. Maybe I don't understand what you mean?
I'd love to see this math.
I'm not sure i could beat his style with math, but i'm pretty sure you could beat it by being the first one with all your chips in in the middle.
Excellent point. Please change your avatar.
when will then be now
I'm not sure i could beat his style with math, but i'm pretty sure you could beat it by being the first one with all your chips in in the middle.
Excellent point. Please change your avatar.
when will then be now
I've been mad about that show ending for years. Make it stop.

what is prahlad's name on tilt?I saw Dirksen reraise a huge amount with KJ yesterday. Then he bet the pot on a A, 10, 3 board. Turn Q he goes all in other guy insta calls. Good to run hot.

what is prahlad's name on tilt?I saw Dirksen reraise a huge amount with KJ yesterday. Then he bet the pot on a A, 10, 3 board. Turn Q he goes all in other guy insta calls. Good to run hot.
Spirit Rock
I admit to not knowing much about Prahlad and his style, but if any style is mathematically unbeatable, why would it take heart to use it? You know you're winning money in the long run, so just keep pounding away. And if your bankroll takes a short-term hit, there are sure to be backers of a mathematically unbeatable style. Maybe I don't understand what you mean?
You don't think it takes heart to bet 4,000 on the flop or turn with just a draw. Prahlad style (read Phil Gordon's book, he goes into it extensively) is to see as many flops as possible for the lowest price possible. He will drastiacally overbet the pot if he has a draw or a huge hand on the flop and the turn. It's basic game theory. If you call him everytime, regardless of whether he is on a draw or has a hand, you will lose money in the long run. This means that you should just fold. His bets make it mathimatically impossible to come out on top in the long run. Gordon breaks down the math in his book and shows the proof. That is why he has such HUGE swings.... he will miss his draws, but he usually wins it all back. When he has a huge hand, people call him because of his huge bets on draws. When he is on a draw, he will hit them sometimes as well. That could really mess with your head.

i think he really is Dustin Dirksen, you can google his name and see that he has left a trail of posts to message boards, tourneys, etc. that show he has a history. i watched him win 250,000 over two nights last week against Phil Ivey, John D'Agostino, and others and he did it by being hyper-aggressive. i was often amazed at the balls it must have taken to go over the top of raisers almost every time, often with the worst of it (though the aggression often forced a fold), only to either suck out, or lose and take back twice as much on the next hand when he hit a monster. if you can catch him playing, it's really worth watching as there will not often be a dull moment when he is at a very short table (4 or less).

I'd love to see this math.
its actually not that complicated. essentially, he uses game theory to optimize his betting. his strategy is to see lots of flops cheap and make massive overbets with premium made hands and premium draws. if his bets get called, he wins all of the pots with the premium made hands and some of the time he gets there on the draws. If he never gets called he wins all the pots (0bv). his opponents must try to guess which type of hand he holds, but since he plays them both the same way this is pretty much impossible. therefore the only way to counteract the strategy is to adjust how often you call his bets with regard to how often you think hes putting it in on the come. of course, he will adjust for this - betting less draws when opponents call toften and more draws when they call less. essentially, he makes it impossible to make an optimal percentage of calls. there is math behind this, its really quite complicated and involves a lot of 0,1 analyses. chris ferguson's brother has a paper published by UCLA on game theory which explains a lot of the number crunching (indirectly) behind prahlads strategy.

I have chatted with Dustin Dirksen lately and I in fact know who he is.He does go to U of Iowa Law School and is from Hampton, Iowa. His younger brother is a very good golfer and I have played with him in some tournaments. I have seen Dustin at some of his brothers tournaments and was amazed to see him playing such high limits when I joined Full Tilt this year.He is hyperaggressive and is doing well currently even though I don't think he will be able to stay at the limits he is playing at.DD is a good player but is still inexperienced. He is definitely hard to play against though due to his extreme aggressiveness. I wouldn't want to play him short-handed, but in a larger game I would be more comfortable.Maybe DN will play DD someday and we can see how good DD really is.

i have to keep reposting this theory until someone responds to it.my theory is that dustin dirksen is actually darrell dicken aka "gigabet".reasons:both live in iowa, have similar names, and play big limits loose agressive.this will be the last time i post this theory.just food for thought i guess.

he plays nowhere near perfect and he's been getting killed lately. he's just hyperaggressive. and i've watched dagostino beat him like 5 times in a row when theyve played headsup. they have huge swings due to both their styles, but dags wins every time. i have seen dustin do well a few times with the game 3/4/5 handed, but everytime him and dags have played heads up dags wins. Did u guys see that 82k pot they played the other day. Board 2356 on turn, dags bet 5k, dustin raised 15k, and moved in on river. dags called with 222 and dustin had a8 off, no flush draw, no nothin.

he plays nowhere near perfect and he's been getting killed lately.  he's just hyperaggressive.  and i've watched dagostino beat him like 5 times in a row when theyve played headsup.  they have huge swings due to both their styles, but dags wins every time.  i have seen dustin do well a few times with the game 3/4/5 handed, but everytime him and dags have played heads up dags wins.  Did u guys see that 82k pot they played the other day. Board 2356 on turn, dags bet 5k, dustin raised 15k, and moved in on river.  dags called with 222 and dustin had a8 off, no flush draw, no nothin.
the river was an ace. giving dustin top pair. im sure that calling a 20k river bet after a 15k turn bet with only bottom set and a straight draw out there was not an easy call.
he plays nowhere near perfect and he's been getting killed lately. he's just hyperaggressive. and i've watched dagostino beat him like 5 times in a row when theyve played headsup. they have huge swings due to both their styles, but dags wins every time. i have seen dustin do well a few times with the game 3/4/5 handed, but everytime him and dags have played heads up dags wins. Did u guys see that 82k pot they played the other day. Board 2356 on turn, dags bet 5k, dustin raised 15k, and moved in on river. dags called with 222 and dustin had a8 off, no flush draw, no nothin.
how many hands did you see? 200? 1000? it doesnt matter because you didnt see enough to make any conclusions about his style.