** official full contact hockey league thread **

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OMG I think I have memory loss.

Wow, at first I was thinking you must be thinking of someone else, but then I slowly started to recall something about feeling a little screwed but willing to say f it, and whatever. I love being the

(Note: My "like" on the previous post was regarding the friendships made and in no way related to the quip about last Thursday)

If we get the league running for the new year that gives us a 16 game schedule playing weekend games.... which should be good enough I think?Say then take top 4 teams, and let them redraft for the first round of the playoffs, then top two draft for the second round of the playoffs to determine winner? that might be fun?

If you only did Saturday games, you'd only need about 15 players tops. The coolest thing about the AHL is that depth is a factor as some nights you'll have to look deep into the bench for a lineup. As for how it first started, that was simple. Everyone got together for a free agent draft where every player was available to the highest bidder. Everyone had a $60 salary cap and bid on the players they wanted. If Gretzky went for $9.75 then that was his base salary for that year. Then, at season's end his salary would be adjusted based on the AHL formula. I'd like for Travis to get in the pool too, that way I can help manage his team.

If you only did Saturday games, you'd only need about 15 players tops. The coolest thing about the AHL is that depth is a factor as some nights you'll have to look deep into the bench for a lineup. As for how it first started, that was simple. Everyone got together for a free agent draft where every player was available to the highest bidder. Everyone had a $60 salary cap and bid on the players they wanted. If Gretzky went for $9.75 then that was his base salary for that year. Then, at season's end his salary would be adjusted based on the AHL formula. I'd like for Travis to get in the pool too, that way I can help manage his team.
When you did the draft originally, how did you decide what player was first up for auction?

Just some ideas as far as schedule.If the first week games would be played in the week ending 1/15/06, we could have weekly games up to the week ending 4/11/06 resulting in a 13 game schedule. If this is a 16 team league, than 8 teams could qualify for the playoffs. Playoff schedule could be as follows: Quarterfinals would be on 4/12/06 and 4/13/06 ( 15 games total )Semis would be 4/14/06 and 4/15/06 (15 games total) Final on 4/17/06 and 4/18/06 (16 games total)

If you only did Saturday games, you'd only need about 15 players tops.  The coolest thing about the AHL is that depth is a factor as some nights you'll have to look deep into the bench for a lineup.  As for how it first started, that was simple.  Everyone got together for a free agent draft where every player was available to the highest bidder.  Everyone had a $60 salary cap and bid on the players they wanted.  If Gretzky went for $9.75 then that was his base salary for that year.  Then, at season's end his salary would be adjusted based on the AHL formula.  I'd like for Travis to get in the pool too, that way I can help manage his team.
When you did the draft originally, how did you decide what player was first up for auction?
Each participant takes a turn and names a player to be bid on.

Hey guys, just to add my 2 cents, since I have asked to be in this. Some good dialogue going on, certainly an interesting read. I think its important that we do the $20, to ensure we have true participation. Otherwise, and maybe even with the $20, we may have some who stop participating. Nothing peeves me more! For this year at least, maybe Sat games only will have to do. Its a lot to take on for a commish if you have 2gms a week. That said, if he is willing, to go 6gms or 8gms per night and up sounds great too. The draft would have to be done on some live site, on a thread would be crazy and take all day. I like the pkr private room idea, if its doable. Im fairly easy on whatever the majority decides, I just look forward to yet another hockey pool! thanks for trying to get it off the ground goose!

Alright,First off, $20 entrance fee definately, as most people want it,and also I agree it'll help people stay motivated to participate.I've decided that I don't mind running two games a week, because as DN said, it forces participants to dig deeper into their lineup, and doesn't penalize players whose team doesn't play on a particular night very often. I'll go through the schedule and pick two games a week, starting the first week of 2006, which gives all the NHL teams roughly the same number of games, so everyone is roughly equal in case their lineup is heavily stacked in one team's favour.The AHL commish has been kind enough to allow us to use AHL rules and regs, so I'll have a website up and running at www.hockey.nategosse.com probably by the first week in Decemeber.I think I've figured out a good way to work the draft. I'lll create a forum on my website, which will have 30 different team sub-forums... inside of those forums I'll create a thread for each player listed on the team roster. League participants will be able to go into the threads and bid on players, and whoever has the highest bid by the cutoff date/time will get the player. There will be no farm picks, junior drafts etc. As I'm not sure how well this will work, or how people's interest will remain over time, we'll reeavulate at the end of the season those types of options, and if everything works out well, then maybe set up something more long-term at the end of the year for next season. There'll be 15 teams in the league, and 14 spots are taken. 13 are taken for sure, and I'm holding one for digitalmonkey, as he said it depends on the AHL and as the most frequent poster in this forum, he probably deserves a spot. That leaves one spot open to whoever e-mails me next.

The forum is up at http://hockey.nategosse.com/forum, i think this is by far the best way to do the draft.The league so far:1. AJs510, "Game Misconduct"2. Ottawa_Biatch,"The Ottawa Biatch's"3. Tailspin, "The Demons"4. MapleLeafPoker, "Hartford Whalers"5. DaveyG, "The DaveyG Crew"6. Mekanic, "Pond Soccer Hooligans"7. Fenxis, "t.d.b"8. Crumpentunt, "Riverdeuce"9. Booyaga, "NJ Hooliganz"10. Untitled, "Broadway"11. Goose, "Noble House"12. Rinswum, no name yet13. Dubey, no name yet14. MapleLeafs, Tragically Canadian