"money not won is money lost"

This will probably start some kind of an uproar (most likely laughter). I felt like I had to post it. UTG seems like a solid player.PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cxButton (t3200)SB (t1360)BB (t805)UTG (t1980)UTG+1 (t1935)MP1 (t1475)Hero (t1515)CO (t1230)Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 3:spade:, A:spade:. UTG calls t30, UTG+1 calls t30, 1 fold, SB completes, BB checks.Flop: (t150) K:diamond:, K:spade:, 6:spade: (5 players)SB checks, BB checks, UTG bets t60, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls t60, SB folds, BB folds.Turn: (t270) Q:diamond: (2 players)UTG checks, Hero checks.River: (t270) 7:spade: (2 players)UTG checks, Hero checks.Final Pot: t270I have been trying to get better at hand-reading. You all may disagree here, but on that drawwy board, I don't think a hand like trips is going to play it slow. When he lightning checked the turn, I thought he had the nuts or nothing. With that thinking, a bet on the river is absolutely horrible. Does the villain turn up something like a small flush or trip kings often enough to risk the check-raise on the river?

There are a lot of hands that will call thinking that you are trying to steal with the scare card showing. More importantly, you have position on him and should throw out a semi-bluff on the turn after he checks. With spades and a KQ on the board he would have to protect a set or a pocket pair, and youre probably going to take it down there.

There are a lot of hands that will call thinking that you are trying to steal with the scare card showing. More importantly, you have position on him and should throw out a semi-bluff on the turn after he checks. With spades and a KQ on the board he would have to protect a set or a pocket pair, and youre probably going to take it down there.
You aren't concerned at all about a check-raise on the turn? I didn't even think it was close: a check seems like the right play to me.
You aren't concerned at all about a check-raise on the turn? I didn't even think it was close: a check seems like the right play to me.
I would be very surprised at a c/r after a pre-flop limp, flop probe bet and a check. Thats just too tricky for me with such a scary board and hero not showing any strength. If UTG has a hand there's too much risk of giving a free card (unless hero has shown a history of semi-bluffs).

I think someone with KQ, KK or QQ bets this river rather than risk losing money by you checking behind.He'd also rather you fold and not see his hand, than check and you see his hand - so I think he bets this river with the nuts.Bet the river....there are a lot of hands that will call you down, even with this board.JJ or TT wouldn't surprise me....neither would something like A6s.

I agree with most of what's been said here. You all think a value bet is necessary, 3/4ths the pot sounds great.Why did I post this? Because he was slowplaying a boat, but it was nothing like what I expected: 77. That's a clear cut example of one of the many hands that can check-call on the river (provided the river is not the 7s) when I hit my flush.Take a look at how he played it. The gin card hits and he didn't even lead into me. You tell me who left the most money on the table :club:

I agree with most of what's been said here. You all think a value bet is necessary, 3/4ths the pot sounds great.Why did I post this? Because he was slowplaying a boat, but it was nothing like what I expected: 77. That's a clear cut example of one of the many hands that can check-call on the river (provided the river is not the 7s) when I hit my flush.Take a look at how he played it. The gin card hits and he didn't even lead into me. You tell me who left the most money on the table :club:
Yup - 77 doesn't surprise me either - up to the river....he basically played the flop and turn like any pocket pair from 2-Q except 66...he left a lot of money in your stack by checking the river.
Yup - 77 doesn't surprise me either - up to the river....he basically played the flop and turn like any pocket pair from 2-Q except 66...he left a lot of money in your stack by checking the river.
One thing I forgot to mention that I didn't see here--a friend of mine who doesn't consider himself to be a great tournament player commented that the pot wasn't really big enough to be concerned about losing it to a bluff check-raise.
Yeah, your hand hates a c/r on the turn. Betting is baaaad.
Yeah, your hand hates a c/r on the turn. Betting is baaaad.
I dont hate a check raise on the turn here after a semi-bluff of 1/2 pot or a little less. There isnt much committed to the pot, and if there is a check raise I'm drawing as at least a 3/1 dog to a hand that isn't the nuts. I have no problem folding it.Not every semi-bluff hates a re-raise...if they did there would never be a semi-bluff.