a night at the cardroom (long post no content)

Quick history... When I got back to Athens for the fall semester at UGA, I promptly looked up some old buddies and found the best card game in Athens. It's 1/3 NL, and there are about 4 rocks there and the rest are tight/passive.Unfortunately, I underestimated how rocky they were, and promptly dropped 1400 in 5 visits. It was rough, but because I can deal I made almost all of it back just dealing over the next month.Now (for a multitude of other reasons) I withdrew from almost all my classes in UGA and work in Atlanta and make occassional day trips to Athens for class.I hadn't played live poker in Atlanta since I ran a cardroom and got robbed at gunpoint almost a year ago (another story for another time)... but the robberies have at least subsided and poker is going strong again.Partypoker has helped me keep my confidence up playing .50/1 limit. I couldn't really afford to play anything bigger at the time, and it's good to be seeing the hands and getting experience to beat limit, and it constantly reminds me that poker is a long run game. I don't have pokertracker, but I'd estimate I've seen 25,000-50,000 hands in the last 6 weeks at .50/1, with about a 2-3 bb/100 hand winrate.I made my first trip to a cardroom in Atlanta after getting reamed in Athens last week... and I was utterly shocked by how bad the play was. Everyone was loose/passive or loose/aggressive, and I got up to +150 quickly, but ran into a 3-outer and lost a lot, and ended up -100 for the evening.I went out to play last night... and it went awesome. I got 60% of the money cashed out and effectively broke the game for +$730 from a 200 dollar buy in... and the stuff I was doing to win wasn't incredibly difficult. I pretty much got it all in about 5-6 hands.I get TT in the BB. A hyper loose hyper aggro (but makes weak bets) raises from the button, LP limper and I both call. Flop AKQ rainbow, I check, and he bets 10 bucks at 30. I call on my read, turn comes an undercard. Check/check, river a 9, I check, and he bets 10. I call, he turns up 88 and I win. He says he should have bet more, and I (truthfully) tell him I was more likely to call 50 instead of 10. Then he says that I would have definitely folded if he moved in (at 50 bucks when I have 200 in front of me).Next hand: AA in the SB. 4 limps, I raise to 18. 2 calls, including home boy. Flop Q-T-4, and I come out shooting 50 bucks. One fold, and my pal thinks about it for a second... and "Caro's it up" bigtime (that's my expression for someone who has textbook tells). Stares at the flop, stares at me, and then moves me in. He had like 500 at the time, and I insta-call with 200. He shows me Q-2, I double up.Then, I fold preflop or on the flop for literally about the next 40 hands in a row. Just wasn't getting any cards. I'm sitting back, reading the new players like a book, and they're all playing SOOO bad. One other guy goes on a little rush, and huckles his way to a 700 dollar stack. Then, for about a round he's raising every other pot... thinkin he's the coolest kid ever. I get 8d9d on the button, and he raised to 18 (his standard) from UTG. I put him on a weak-ish hand, and for one cold call from MP, I'm DEFINITELY calling 18 on the button with a suited connector. Then SB goes all in for 20 more, and the other two call. Flop A-8-8, and he bets 50 into me immediately. I put him on an ace and plan to raise the turn... and the turn comes the case 8. He pushes in to me, and I make the easiest call in the world.3 hands later, I get 5d6d in MP2, and a pretty tight/passive player raises to 18 UTG. I give him credit for a real hand, but for a call from UTG+2 I'm comin at him. Flop comes Q-4-3, and the raiser looks funny and checks. I think about betting the flop for fold equity and maybe a free river... but I smell a checkraise so I check through. Turn is the money card, offsuit deuce. The raiser bets 20 into me, I raise 50 more, he pushes for 150 more instantly, and I beat him into the pot calling. He had AA and proceeds to tell me how terrible a player that I am (now stacked at 9 bills from showing down 5 hands in 4 hours).If there's anything to learn from it all... game selection is important. Last night was awesome, but I wasn't doing anything remotely special or conceptually difficult. Anybody that posts regularly in strategy could do it too... and I'm not that big a deal for being able to win that good (which is an improvement in humility from other times I've won big).I just wanted to get it all out... and y'all are the only people besides my friends in real life who can understand how awesome it feels... because I definitely can't tell my parents about the dime in my pocket.I credit a lot of it to what I've learned here. Thanks FCP.

I've been looking for somewhere to play cards in Atlanta. Sounds like fun. I bet you could teach me a lot, too.
Hmmmm...I'm somehow flattered that Poker Cutie 19, located in my fantasies, has responded to this as "her" very first post.good times.
I've been looking for somewhere to play cards in Atlanta. Sounds like fun. I bet you could teach me a lot, too.
Hmmmm...I'm somehow flattered that Poker Cutie 19, located in my fantasies, has responded to this as "her" very first post.good times.
I'm not just in your fantasies, I'm in a lot of peoples fantasies....but yours could be fun, too. It definitely could be good times...
I'm not just in your fantasies, I'm in a lot of peoples fantasies....but yours could be fun, too. It definitely could be good times...
what a funny sig whiskey. easily the funniest on here, good shit.
probably soon to be very popular on this forum
Probably soon to be revealed as a 40 year old man who likes to flirt and get attention on internet forums.