how would you play this hand

OK this was a home game, and the buy in is 20$ with 6 people, blinds are 25 cents 50 cents. One of my friends is by far the most aggressive/dumb player, and he is sitting to my left. Its about two hours into the game, and I up 40$ right now, and he is probably up around 30$. Keep in mind that most of his wins are the small to medium pots where he just bets people off there hands, and he is lucky not to run into a big hand yet, as every once in a while, he does and loses all his stack. I had two black nines, and raised to 1.5$ preflop UTG (its now 5 handed as someone busted and is just chilling and not playing) and everyone folded and my crazy friend called in BB. Flop is 9 7 2, and the 9 and the 2 are diamonds. What he likes to do is lead out into the preflop raiser and try to bet him off his hand right away. of course, I had top set and wasnt going anywhere. On this hand, he led out with 2.5$ into a 3.25$ pot. Now, his range of hands is literally anything, from bottom pair to top pair, high cards, any kind of draw, or nothing at all. The only hands that should worry me out of those holdings are the flush and straight draws. With all this being said, do you think i should raise here, or wait until the turn, or possibly wait until the river? I'll post what actually happened soon.

id reraise thinking he has the flush draw. and if hes as crazy as you think he'll either reraise you, which would be lovely. or you could flat call and wait to reraise on the turn. id reraise him right away and put the heat on him. i dont like slow playing trips. especially with draws out there. now leave me alone. im gonna go do some CALIFORNIA GIRLS

If the villian in as unpredicatable as you say, that is, you know he would make that bet with essentially any hand he has, then he is less likely to have the flush draw. If you think he might not have the flush draw, and you think he will lead out on the turn for sure if you just call, I would take a chance and just call and then raise him on the turn if no diamond falls. If a diamond does fall, you will have to play cautiously, but if no diamond falls, you might be able to trap him for a big pot. However, if you do feel that he PROBABLY has a flush draw, then a good sized raise in in order. Personally, though, if he is the type of player who would try to push you off the hand with any two cards, I try and trap him and go for the big pot.

you said he occasionally runs into a big hand and loses all of his chips. this would suggest to me that he makes poor decisions/calls when people play back at hime. I'd probably raise hard and try to get him all in on the flop.

This is what happened: I raised to 6.5$ total on flop, and he call 4$ more. The turn was a black Ace, and again, he led out for 5.5$, and i was thinking on whether to raise or not. But I figured that no matter what the river bet was, he would lead out for a monster bet, so i don't want to take him off that, and that i will raise big on river unless its a 6 or a 10 or a diamond, which is probably around high 20%. So i call, and the river is unfortunatly a 10 if diamonds. He bets 11$, and i call, and he turns over 7 8 for a pair of 7s. If i had raised him on turn, he probably would have checked the river, even though he is a crazy player, he still sees 3 overcards and the flush, so figured best play was to call on turn, cuz its not absolute in the slightest that he has the flush draw.Also, hes not the type of player that reraises a raise usually, he likes to call a reraise, and then lead out with a big bet on the next street if nothing threatening comes. So i wouldnt be able to get him all in on the flop. Just responding to a post on the thread.

I'm checking/calling until the river. Chances of a scare card hitting aren't that great, and if the scare card hits you still probably have him beat. On the river if it's a safe card I raise, if it's a scare card I call. Assuming he's as aggressive and loose as you say, I want to keep him in and give him more chances to bluff at it.

I'm checking/calling until the river. Chances of a scare card hitting aren't that great, and if the scare card hits you still probably have him beat. On the river if it's a safe card I raise, if it's a scare card I call. Assuming he's as aggressive and loose as you say, I want to keep him in and give him more chances to bluff at it.
so during the whole hand you never value raise with a set. wow. sorry but thats just bad poker

Actually thinking it through again, I'd raise flop and turn, and then check/call the river if a scare card hits. At first I was just thinking about the flush draw and not 6 8 or 8 10 for the straight draws. I didn't read it carefully enough, with that many draws and knowing he's a loose/aggressive player that could have those hands, I'd charge him for the possible draws.I read how it ended before posting, which I think clouded my judgment at first and made me discount the straight draws for some reason.

I'm not sure why anyone would need to think twice about raising a set against a LAG who has a tendancy to put himself all in with marginal hands.Scare cards are bad for two reasons. If you flat call and the diamond comes, even if he doesnt have you beat, he is much less likely to pay you.Raise the pot on the flop, and then the rest on the turn. On the turn if he calls your pot raise, the pot is $25 and your friends stack is less than $20. There's no turn that can have you folding to any bet that he can make unless he comes out and _shows_ you the flush.

against a maniac like him i think the kneejerk reaction is to go ahead and reraise him right away. to me thats too scared. putting him on the exact draw that hit the board is giving this maniac way too much credit. i would play that hand for maximum value against him.

OK this was a home game, and the buy in is 20$ with 6 people, blinds are 25 cents 50 cents. One of my friends is by far the most aggressive/dumb player, and he is sitting to my left. Its about two hours into the game, and I up 40$ right now, and he is probably up around 30$. Keep in mind that most of his wins are the small to medium pots where he just bets people off there hands, and he is lucky not to run into a big hand yet, as every once in a while, he does and loses all his stack. I had two black nines, and raised to 1.5$ preflop UTG (its now 5 handed as someone busted and is just chilling and not playing) and everyone folded and my crazy friend called in BB. Flop is 9 7 2, and the 9 and the 2 are diamonds. What he likes to do is lead out into the preflop raiser and try to bet him off his hand right away. of course, I had top set and wasnt going anywhere. On this hand, he led out with 2.5$ into a 3.25$ pot. Now, his range of hands is literally anything, from bottom pair to top pair, high cards, any kind of draw, or nothing at all. The only hands that should worry me out of those holdings are the flush and straight draws. With all this being said, do you think i should raise here, or wait until the turn, or possibly wait until the river? I'll post what actually happened soon.
I would re-raise him the minimum after he bet on the flop. If he just calls then you are sure he is on a draw. When the turn comes and if it is a scare card and he bets thne I would minimum re-raise again. This tells him you have a strong hand and he either go's all in or folds. If he went all in I would make the call based on his style. If he just calls, which would tell us he is a moron and that diamond came I would still call his next bet but I wouldn't re-raise the river.

Depends how hard he likes to push. If he likes to push really hard, then by all means just call and give him the chance to keep pushing. You've got position on him, so you can easily call this round and bet the next round if he checks to you. I think if you raise now, though, you give him a chance to get away from it easy. If he checks the next round, he probably didn't have enough to call your raise anyway (or going for a check-raise, if you're lucky). I think you wait for the turn to raise, that way there's more in the pot for him to chase if he has a real hand, or more in the pot to make him want to bluff.