flopping a set with an under pair

remember a lot has to do with the limits you're playing...in low limit, if you raise with aces, and get 4 callers behind you, you could conceivably have to dodge several small pocket pairs. In a high limit or N/L game, if you lead out with something convincing, you thin the field dramatically. Unless Farha's in the game :club:

remember a lot has to do with the limits you're playing...in low limit, if you raise with aces, and get 4 callers behind you, you could conceivably have to dodge several small pocket pairs. In a high limit or N/L game, if you lead out with something convincing, you thin the field dramatically. Unless Farha's in the game :club:
You do realize that in a deep stack nl game its nearly impossible to get people to fold PP's to just a 4-5X the bb raise no matter what the limits.

good looks on that, Forrest. Someone with a cognizance beyond poker. Interestingly, seems you and I joined FCP on the same day. Poker, absolutely. I was thinking the same thing whilst typing my initial post. Was trying to somewhat assuage the discouraged OP, and offer a counterpoint that in, say, a 2/5 NL game when some maniac opens up for $80 under the gun, he gets no action, but clears out those middling pairs.OP has to realize that aces, despite their lovely look, are just that, another pocket pair.

OP has to realize that aces, despite their lovely look, are just that, another pocket pair.
Right. Anyways:I was just wondering what were the statistics on some one flopping a set on you with an under pair. Whether it is Aces vs Kings or 3's vs 2's.Nothing more, nothing less.

It's funny that Farha's name would come up in this discussion. I learned alot from that seemingly ridiculous hand he played at the World Series when Anthony Curtis opened for 1000 with (AA) and the blinds at 25 50 and then Sam called him with (33) only to flop a set and bust Curtis. Immediatly Sammy's play made sense to me because he had about 20k and his opponent had 10k. By overbetting so dramatically before the flop Curtis essentially announced that even at that low blind level a court order couldn't make him pass at any point in the hand. So hence Sammy took a7 to1 chance to flop a set for 5% of his stack when the payout after calling the bet was 9 to 1. Pretty good odds for perhaps the only cognizant guy in the history of man kind with the balls to call that bet. 8)

Prob he gets a set on the flop: 12.23%
Assuming a single opponent in the hand has a pocket pair to begin with. If no one has a pocket pair they're not flopping a set. If more than one person has a pp the odds are higher of course. How many people in the hand are likely to have a pocket pair varies based on the number of people at the table, the nature of the players (do they always play small pp), the pre-flop action, etc.At any rate the odds are fairly low so yes online poker is rigged/you're unlucky/you're experiencing the downside of variance if it happens 5 out of 6 times.
Prob he gets a set on the flop: 12.23%
Assuming a single opponent in the hand has a pocket pair to begin with. If no one has a pocket pair they're not flopping a set. If more than one person has a pp the odds are higher of course.
I'm not sure if you're qualifying my response; but it doesn't need it.If you are simply adding another new comment, then my bad.OP:How often is some one going to flop a set against you when you have a higher PP than them? someone = singular.They have a PP.No one can answer..what's the probability of a set being flopped by at least one of my opponents when I too have a pair.....The likelihood of no one flopping a set given they have a PP is around (7/8 ) ^ n. where n = number of players with a unique pair. This is actually lower due to cards in paired-players hands increasing liklehood that set-cards remain in deck...

Dont know if anyone has mentioned it....While the odds posted of him hitting a set are correct, dont assume thats how often you might be behind there. Your odds of flopping a set are exactly the same as his. So you need to accout for the conditional probablity of both of you flopping a set.And BTW, if you have AA, most of the time your probably going to take it all the way to the river. So your going to have more chances to run him down with a set of your own. This is in contrast to something like 22 which most people will fold is they miss the flop.Dont worry about running into so many sets. Just bad luck.