tough luck? variance? or my leak

I play in a live game with a couple buddies every couple weeks or so. Nothing fancy just a $10 buy nlhe with 1/2 blinds going up every 20 minutes. I kid you not the last three games I have gone out to the same guy in roughly the same way. THREE TIMES! I find it hard to believe this is just bad luck, help me find the leak!Tonight's events went down like this:6 players all starting with 200 in chips, blinds 1/2, first levelThis is the fifth hand dealt, and my second of the night. Lost a little pot with AQ outkicked by AK so I'm down to about 175. In first position I limp with Q :club: K :D . Normally in a shorthanded game I'd raise with this, but I didn't feel comfortable doing it from first position. Guy directly behind me (my nemesis, we'll call him the devil) limps in as well. SB raises 15, BB folds, I call, the devil calls as well. Pot sits at 53Flop: Q :) K :) 9 :) Immediately the SB fires 35 into the pot, and I go into the tank. I was trying to put him on a set of nines, but that didn't seem likely, he would have checked. I decided he had AK, but I had the devil behind me. I suppose I got greedy because I just smooth called to bring the devil in as well, thinking he might have caught a little piece of it. Devil min raises to 70..shyt.SB immediately folds. Pot sits at 193 (i'm estimating at the time of course)With the SB laying down so quickly I now assumed the devil was playing an AK or even a K9, with 123chips left I pushed, he called..and it's history.Flips up J :D 10 :D ..turn and river brick out and i'm spent.This scenario has played out three times in a row. Should I quit playing poker right now? Or is there no way I can get away from that hand?Thanks for the input.D

That is just tough luck. Your running a little cold right now. It will change over time.

I don't really like the limp UTG with a marginal hand like that, if you are not comfortable raising, fold. I'm raising the lead bettor here not only for information but to make it unprofitable for the devil to draw if he has a drawing hand. Although there arent many draws. But anyways, once you get minraised you should know you are beat and should muck.

funny I almost had the same hand in a tourney yesterday had KQ flop came 9KQ I betout he calls flop was blank I check he bets out bigger I call river Q he goes allin I call he turns over 79s "ok" :club:

the Limp is horrible then you call a stiff raise with another playing sitting behind you. I also don't like the flop call I def would have came over the top but unfortunately the devil had JT.. I've been getting cooled lately specifically in short-handed games too and it SUCKS.

Preflop, I raise with that hand... if the cards are good enough to play UTG, raise with themIf he calls, he's a donkey and got lucky... personally short handed, I call the J10 suited in mid position

10 J sooooted. Its a sooooted conector. I know a lot of people, myself included, who will call 10% of their stack with a sooooooted connector. 10J suited is great, because you know that when they are that high, your up against something like 99 or maybe lower, or most likely AK in which case you have a ton of outs, 10 and jack being one of them!Even if he did raise UTG, do you think the guy would lay down the 10J sooooted? No of course not. Especially when the person UTG only raises with good hands, (do you only raise utg with good hands, or are you tricky?) If I knew you always raised with AK/AQ UTG Id take a 56 soooted to the flop with you every chance I could. Thats only if I knew you were playing AQ/AK though.Anyway, raising PF would not have changed anything, he would have called, and the same flop would have come down. That guy's just very lucky. You both played it correctly I think. I might have folded after he raised. After all, he had someone raise, and then someone after the raiser JUST call. It would be fairly reasonable to assume that he knew you had atleast top pair, maybe he even thought you had a set, and were trying to trap him. By just calling you showed strength. And by raising, (the guy who raised first on the flop) showed strength. He might have had K9 and he knew to lay down his K9 to the call by you and the raise by the guy with 10JI think the problem here was that you didnt lay down your hand to someone who was representing a lot of strength. He could have easily had a monster hand like a set of 9s. When the pot was raised on the flop and you called, he figured he was going to get some action from atleast one of you, maybe both of you. It was clear that you had something. And if there are 2 of you in the pot, he knows that if he raises a lot, youll either call, or go all lin with a set/2 pair. When he's holding the nuts, its a great play. Plus, theres no reason to slowplay a hand like that when there are 3 people in the hand. If the board paired on the turn, he might have a tough decision to make. If you had AJ, its possible for you to hit that 4 outer for a higher straight. Perhaps if it was you and him only he would slow play it, but like I said, there were 2 others in the pot and they both were looking to put chips in the potIts still a very very tough fold to make :club:

Normally in a shorthanded game I'd raise with this, but I didn't feel comfortable doing it from first position.
So fold...drip, drip.The reason ? You give good drawing hands ( like j-10 ) the pot odds to call. Why is j-10 a good drawing hand ? Because it is the only 2 cards that make 4 nut straights. Think about it.:think:
I suppose I got greedy because I just smooth called to bring the devil in as well, thinking he might have caught a little piece of it.
No way to know it helped him that much...but the logic behind the smooth call is flawed. If he caught a piece of it...make him pay to hit his trips. Drip,drip.This was a poorly played hand from start to finish. The best play in the hand was the SB bet of 35. It allowed him to see where he was at in the hand and, when raised ,he knew his hand ( jacks?) was no good and got away from it.Good luck against the devil ! :evil:

With the SB laying down so quickly I now assumed the devil was playing an AK or even a K9, with 123chips left I pushed, he called..and it's history. Why in god's name would you put the devil on those two hands? With AK he raises preflop, with K9 he folds.