i know it may sound stupid, but im sure everyone deals with them, whether they are real or all mental.......i do well consitantly, whether its live cash games or small live tourneys (no big ones exist around her....yawn.) or online......but i do so well consitantly that when i do hit a few down days it really strikes me as odd, and eats away at me a bit.....today im dealing with that again.........played in 5 mtt's online, and out of the 5 i won 2 hands.....but after the first 2 tourneys i noticed my play changed, i was scared of the cards, i wasnt reading people properly, i was laying down some hands that in hindsight were probably winners, generally i was running scared.........so what do you guys do? time off? different game? keep going? im not looking for help so much as im curious if anyone else ever feels this and what you do to combat it..........meanwhile, im hitting another table

i know it may sound stupid, but im sure everyone deals with them, whether they are real or all mental.......i do well consitantly, whether its live cash games or small live tourneys (no big ones exist around her....yawn.) or online......but i do so well consitantly that when i do hit a few down days it really strikes me as odd, and eats away at me a bit.....today im dealing with that again.........played in 5 mtt's online, and out of the 5 i won 2 hands.....but after the first 2 tourneys i noticed my play changed, i was scared of the cards, i wasnt reading people properly, i was laying down some hands that in hindsight were probably winners, generally i was running scared.........so what do you guys do? time off? different game? keep going? im not looking for help so much as im curious if anyone else ever feels this and what you do to combat it..........meanwhile, im hitting another table
BOLD SECTION!After the 1st tourney, I'll play a second, and a 3rd. But if i get to 5, and have not accomplished anything, then yes. Time off.Look over your plays, was there anywhere you really screwed it up?. were you just not getting cards?.check stats. etc..

What i try to do when im on a downswing (and im just recovering from my worst this year) is try to focus even more on every single decision im making. Really think it through, ill be happy to let the clock run down a bit if it means im actually thinking about my decision.I've also found myself re-evaluating some strategies and reassuring myself that what im doing is correct to the best of my knowledge. I also find it useful to look around a few other poker forums and, as well as reading some threads, look for those also on downswings. It helps me a lot to know im not playing badly, and that its happening to many other players. Also, another mental thought i try now and again, mainly about 10-15 minutes after the losing session, is to imagine myself in a poorer financial state, say ive got $x less. I then realise the winnings ive made and in fact ive actually got more than that money and i start to feel better.Too often i think i, as well as others, think too comparatively. We are always looking to make more money than we have at the poker sites. Its natural. But at the same time we must sit back and think how much success we've had and this is just a speed bump.

if it starts to bother you, take time off. Otherwise just keep playing through it, variance is a bitch. I seem to hit a rough week every couple months or so, no matter what I do I can't win a pot.

About 2 months ago, I hit a slump. I hadnt cashed in my regular home game in about 4 months at that point when I had gone on a tear of 1st, 3rd, 1st, and then 3rd 4 games in a row.Best thing I ever did was evaluate my play, and found some leaks. Un/suited connectors from early position were killing me, and I started to overvalue-my small-medium pocket pairs. Plugged the leaks, and now Im back to crushing the game. Variance has swung back my way a little bit as well. What also helps, is take a little more time on your decisions every head. Justify to yourself the reasons you are making a particular raise, call, fold at that certain point in time paying more attention to what has been going on in the hand. This should help a lot.Im playing better, and my confidence is up which helps as well. Best of luck, and just take a good look at your play, variance will swing back your way, and you'll be back to kicking ass.

I had a very bad July, lost half of what I had gained in the previous two months, when cashing seemed certain. I took time off, in part because I was gun shy and had worked very hard to overcome the passive nature of my play. My main problem was that I got cocky and was then shown that adding hands to what I play and not paying attention to position as close as I had, really isn't something I should attempt.Go back and read books you have that have helped, pick up new ones that are recommended by better players, and don't forget the strategy section.Good luck.

well, last two tourny i played i got knocked out with AA to 44, and QQ to 66, so i kown what your talking about. Every hand i play i feel like ill get out drawn some how.
WOW DOOD!!! YOU HAVE IT ROUGH, HOPEFULLY YOU DON'T JUMP OUT OF YOUR BASEMENT WINDOW BECAUSE OF IT.

I have been playing almost exclusively PLO8 for the last two weeks, yesterday I lost my buy in (twice) for the first time since I started focusing on the game. In the past, I would play the game occasionally, maybe one table to go with a couple of HE tables, but I went on a great run 3 tabling PLO8. Today, all I can think about is how I lost yesterday, and I think I figured it out. The run I went on was the result of playing a little loose pre-flop, and only playing pots with scooping posibilities after the flop. Yesterday, I was chasing half the pot all the way and being forced to fold to small bets on the river. Not that anyone cares, but I just needed to get that in writing so that I understand what a donk I was yesterday. I turned $60 into $700 in two weeks, and pissed almost $250 away yesterday. I think my point is that if you are on a winning streak, you can start to feel unbeatable, and I think that's when I usually hit a downswing.