brent johnson

What in the world happened with this guy? He won 34 games as the starter for St. Louis in 2001, now he's 4th on Phoenix's depth chart at only 27 years old? I think he got himself injured at some point, but I can't remember details and regardless he should be healthy by now...Reason I'm asking is I badly need a second goaltender for a 20 team private league, and my choices are limited to:Pasi Nurminen - Would be Atlanta's starter but he's injured and probably/definitely won't play this yearRoman Turek - Commited to Europe and won't play this yearJean-Francois Damphousse - Hasn't played since 2001, is somehow in the Yahoo system on Montreal's roster.Maxime Oulette - The second string goalie on the worst team in the Eastern Conference (Caps)Mikael Tellqvist - 3rd string in TorontoPascal Leclaire - 3rd string in Columbus (I'm trying to replace the 2nd string Blue Jackets goalie, Martin Prusek, so I'm thinking this would be a bad choice...)Dan Blackburn - Not signed with anyone, hasn't played since 2002. Johan Hedburg - Wouldn't be a bad choice if not for the fact that he backs up Marty Turco in Dallas. Turco started 73 out of 82 games last season. Brent Johnson - I'd snap him up in a heartbeat if I thought he'd actually get some playing time. Reinhard Divis - Might not be a bad grab, he's Lalime's backup in St. Louis. Phillipe Sauve - Backing up Kiprusoff in Calgary, might not be a bad choice if they let him play (he was the backup in Colorado last season). Byron Dafoe - Unsigned, hasn't been a starter since 2001. I think I'm pretty well screwed in this league, my top goalie is Chris Osgood who isn't even a guaranteed starter for Detroit. Not sure what I'll do yet, but Marc Denis started 66 games last season so keeping Prusek as my #2 goalie doesn't seem like a good move. I'm deep at defense so I'll probably have to pull off a trade.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I would decide by trying to figure out which start is most likely to falter for these backups. In my opinion that is Lalime. In which case I would go with Reinhard Divis
That's probably the direction I'll go if my trade's fall through. I've offered up Wade Redden and Prusek for Andrew Raycroft and Rhett Warrener to a team desperate for defensive help. If he's smart he'll take the deal, but he only has two starting goalies as well. We'll see...
Gah, I probably go with Phillipe Sauve. Maybe Hedberg and hope Turco gets hurt or something. My thinking is you are better off getting a good backup on a good team, but this field is very thin.
I'm hoping I can pull off a trade with one of the teams desperate for a top-tier defenseman. I have Wade Redden, Rob Blake, Dan Boyle, Sergei Gonchar, Kimmo Timmonen and Jason Smith on my squad. I'm willing to part with Redden or Blake, rather hold on to Gonchar if at all possible. There's still a lot of time before opening night to pull something out of my....um, hat.
My problem with Divis is St. Louis isn't very good. You may as well gamble on a goalie for a good team.
That's why I'm hoping Johnson gets traded to Atlanta or somewhere like that. The Thrashers are a good team, save for the fact that they don't have a starting goalie. Johnson is very good, I have no understanding of why he's still a UFA. He'll get picked up somewhere, maybe I should just grab him now...
That is a very nice looking D. Timmonen could have a monster year this season.
Yeah, my problem is that D is the only place I have any depth. Check this out... C S. Horcoff (Edm - C,F) C Y. PerreaultNA (Mon - C,F) LW L. Nagy (Pho - LW,W,F) LW O. Kvasha (NYI - LW,W,F) RW S. Donovan (Cgy - RW,W,F) RW T. Letowski (Cls - RW,W,F) W P. Dagenais (Mon - LW,W,F) W M. Nilson (Cgy - LW,W,F) F T. White (Min - C,F) F M. Kraft D S. Gonchar (Pit - D) D W. Redden (Ott - D) D D. Boyle (TB - D) D R. Blake (Col - D) D K. Timonen (Nsh - D) D J. Smith (Edm - D) Util J. Kolnik BN C. Gratton (Fla - C,F) BN M. Chouinard (Min - C,F) I picked up Tim Connolly (Sabres Center) and PJ Axelsson (Boston Wing) to fill my empty bench spots. I forsee a lot of attempted trades in my future, since there is nothing left in the FA talent pool in this league. The Commissioner has waaaaaaaaaaay too many bench spots for a 20 team league, they have 24 roster spots to fill versus only 14 spots in the FCP league. This adds 200 players to the talent pool in our league, it's just too dilluted in the other one.
My problem with Divis is St. Louis isn't very good. You may as well gamble on a goalie for a good team.
That's why I'm hoping Johnson gets traded to Atlanta or somewhere like that. The Thrashers are a good team, save for the fact that they don't have a starting goalie. Johnson is very good, I have no understanding of why he's still a UFA. He'll get picked up somewhere, maybe I should just grab him now...
i doubt atlanta will trade for a starting number 1 goalie. lehtonen is a future franchise star and they'll be looking to get him a lot of ice time this year, sharing with another goalie. maybe someone like fernandez from the wild.
i doubt atlanta will trade for a starting number 1 goalie. lehtonen is a future franchise star and they'll be looking to get him a lot of ice time this year, sharing with another goalie. maybe someone like fernandez from the wild.
I agree Lehtonen is the current #1, and the goalie of the future. I just think Atlanta wants someone to play Garth Snow to Lehtonen's Rick Dipeotro. Johnson could do a good Garth Snow impression. Snow started around 40 games last year, i believe.
What in the world happened with this guy? He won 34 games as the starter for St. Louis in 2001, now he's 4th on Phoenix's depth chart at only 27 years old? I think he got himself injured at some point, but I can't remember details and regardless he should be healthy by now...Reason I'm asking is I badly need a second goaltender for a 20 team private league, and my choices are limited to:Pasi Nurminen - Would be Atlanta's starter but he's injured and probably/definitely won't play this yearRoman Turek - Commited to Europe and won't play this yearJean-Francois Damphousse - Hasn't played since 2001, is somehow in the Yahoo system on Montreal's roster.Maxime Oulette - The second string goalie on the worst team in the Eastern Conference (Caps)Mikael Tellqvist - 3rd string in TorontoPascal Leclaire - 3rd string in Columbus (I'm trying to replace the 2nd string Blue Jackets goalie, Martin Prusek, so I'm thinking this would be a bad choice...)Dan Blackburn - Not signed with anyone, hasn't played since 2002. Johan Hedburg - Wouldn't be a bad choice if not for the fact that he backs up Marty Turco in Dallas. Turco started 73 out of 82 games last season. Brent Johnson - I'd snap him up in a heartbeat if I thought he'd actually get some playing time. Reinhard Divis - Might not be a bad grab, he's Lalime's backup in St. Louis. Phillipe Sauve - Backing up Kiprusoff in Calgary, might not be a bad choice if they let him play (he was the backup in Colorado last season). Byron Dafoe - Unsigned, hasn't been a starter since 2001. I think I'm pretty well screwed in this league, my top goalie is Chris Osgood who isn't even a guaranteed starter for Detroit. Not sure what I'll do yet, but Marc Denis started 66 games last season so keeping Prusek as my #2 goalie doesn't seem like a good move. I'm deep at defense so I'll probably have to pull off a trade.
I have watched Johnson in many a game, but he was the definition of underachiever. His main problem wasn't injuries it was the fact that he got rattled too easily, or for poker purposes he went on tilt. He would completely lose his head when he was scored on, and the 34 wins in 2001 was a fluke. When Turek headed to Calgary the only two options we had at goalie was Johnson and Fred Brathwaite. I would attribute Johnson's good numbers in 2001 to Pronger and MacInnis more than Johnson himself. He's a good guy and all, but I don't think he has the right mentality to be a starting goalie in the NHL.

Kraft is reportedly no longer in the Penguins plans and IS staying overseas. As for your goalie situation, I wouldn't jump the gun on a trade just yet unless you get a fair one. I would keep an eye on the free agent goalies out there. I believe Atlanta WILL sign a goalie and that goalie WILL get plenty of games played. Lehtonen is their goalie of the future, but they don't want to rush him. The development of a goalie is a touchy thing; right Mr. Carey?Assuming they are available, keep an eye on:Fred BrathwaiteRoman CechmanekByron DafoeMike DunhamRon TugnuttSteve ShieldsFelix PotvinI have heard that Potvin has signed to play in Russia, but I have not seen this confirmed anywhere!

Kraft is reportedly no longer in the Penguins plans and IS staying overseas.  As for your goalie situation, I wouldn't jump the gun on a trade just yet unless you get a fair one.  I would keep an eye on the free agent goalies out there.  I believe Atlanta WILL sign a goalie and that goalie WILL get plenty of games played.  Lehtonen is their goalie of the future, but they don't want to rush him.  The development of a goalie is a touchy thing; right Mr. Carey?Assuming they are available, keep an eye on:Fred BrathwaiteRoman CechmanekByron DafoeMike DunhamRon TugnuttSteve ShieldsFelix PotvinI have heard that Potvin has signed to play in Russia, but I have not seen this confirmed anywhere!
The only goalie on that list available is Dafoe, and I don't think he's getting another shot in Atlanta. I'm just going to stick with Columbus' backup, he seems pretty competant and should get 25-30 starts.
Cloutier worst starter in league? He is not the best, but would be better than at least 10 other teams.
Name them
Teams that would rather have Cloutier than their starter:NY Rangers (Weekes)Atlanta (No named starter)LA Kings (No named starter)Minnesota Wild (Roloson)Washington (Kolzig)Carolina (No named starter)Philadelphia (Esche)Tampa Bay (Grahame)Edmonton (Markkanen)That's nine that would jettison their current goalie in a heartbeat to get Cloutier, you could make a case to add Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Anaheim, and Montreal to the list as well.