shorthanded/heads up nl strategy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i really recommend watching the entire turning stone broadcast from last summer. the play is six handed and down. it's john juanda, randy jensen, paul phillips, robert williamson, john d'agostino and phil ivey. if you like poker on tv, this is the BEST broadcast that has ever graced the airwaves. you'll learn a LOT from watching these guys play..
Do you happen to know how to get a hold of this broadcast?

sketchy1, I agree:

never post again you embarrasss this forum
I play $5.25 heads up matches on PS for fun. They are a hoot. 36-12 but I wouldn't say it's +EV. They're for when I have 15 minutes to kill and want to play a little no stress NL against amazingly bad players.If you have that sort of W/L record for $100 matches that's pretty amazing (actually, kinda unbelievable). You're making $91 70% of the time. The other 30% you're losing $109. So let's say you've played 500 matches in those 500 hours (probably a little bit more? I'm not sure). 350 X 91 = $31,850.150 X 109 = $16,350Net gain $15,500.Smash says playing 10 handed he makes $100/hour. 500 X 100 = $50,000.Understand yet?

sketchy1 said

no i won't play you heads up because i'd hate to embarass you and take you from your self-appointed head dip censored crown of FCP.
Game Set Match ....SMASH ! ! !
do you know what EV is? you obviously don't.let's say i am playing player x. i will win 70% of the matches. the buy-in is $109. the 9 is a house fee. winner gets $200. that means 70% of the time i win $200. 30% of the time i lose my $109.my EV is $107.3. there, there's positive EV. now try and write about things you don't understand and get people to listen to.
your math is off.70% of the time, you are +$91.30% of the time, you are -$109.0.7 * (+$91) + 0.3 * (-$109) = $63.7 - $32.7 = +$31 per match.now considering that being a 70% favorite against an opponent is downright impossible, your actual EV is much lower, probably around $10 per match, at the most $20 (that's honestly ridiculously high, still).considering the bankroll you need for $109 heads-up matches (at least 20 buy-ins, more likely 30 buy-ins, but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt at 20 buy-ins), you need $2,180 to gamble with.that's a pretty high risk versus reward, isn't it? that's also a very low return on investment.all in all, smash is right. heads-up matches are a waste of EV because you have a considerably smaller edge, and combined with the horrible risk versus reward and return on investment, it's literally a waste of time and EV.aseem
do you know what EV is? you obviously don't.let's say i am playing player x. i will win 70% of the matches. the buy-in is $109. the 9 is a house fee. winner gets $200. that means 70% of the time i win $200. 30% of the time i lose my $109.my EV is $107.3. there, there's positive EV. now try and write about things you don't understand and get people to listen to.
your math is off.70% of the time, you are +$91.30% of the time, you are -$109.0.7 * (+$91) + 0.3 * (-$109) = $63.7 - $32.7 = +$31 per match.now considering that being a 70% favorite against an opponent is downright impossible, your actual EV is much lower, probably around $10 per match, at the most $20 (that's honestly ridiculously high, still).considering the bankroll you need for $109 heads-up matches (at least 20 buy-ins, more likely 30 buy-ins, but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt at 20 buy-ins), you need $2,180 to gamble with.that's a pretty high risk versus reward, isn't it? that's also a very low return on investment.all in all, smash is right. heads-up matches are a waste of EV because you have a considerably smaller edge, and combined with the horrible risk versus reward and return on investment, it's literally a waste of time and EV.aseem
owned
take that smash u smarty pants.just face it, he is rupper and you are glue.he is the yoda to your stupid emperor gimic, eventually vader is just gonna chuck your sorry as.s.
What is rupper?
i don't play cash games, and i don't even play many tournaments right now.
So what do you play, slots?Looks like Smash extended a heads-up challenge....not taking sides, but I would think that if you are going to talk smack then you might as well be prepared to back it up. Otherwise you look like, you know, a douchebag.
smash, you're a complete waste of time. i never said i sit around and play heads up matches all day. in fact, i don't. i play single tables all day long. i don't play cash games, and i don't even play many tournaments right now.no i won't play you heads up because i'd hate to embarass you and take you from your self-appointed head dip censored crown of FCP.i'm done arguing with you because it's obvious the metal plate in your head prevents any intelligent thoughts from penetrating it.
never post againyou embarrasss this forum
Thankfully he seems to have taken your advise, first smart thing he's done in his life.