is abc poker real poker

1st of all i admit i am not a good poker player i am a student and learning but i have made some observations. please blast all of what i have to say to hell or agree with it as you please.#1 bankroll management is important but believeing in yourself and your skill lvl and your ability to read the players and the table is more important(i do not advocate sitting in a game with a patheticly small buy in either)#2 playing abc poker might make you money but it wont make you a real poker player. I personally do not see how sitting around waiting for the nuts hour after hour is real poker thats just me. I have watched alot of the pros on full tilt and rarely do i see them play anything like you would expect minus andy bloch & quiet lion.#3 i think playing from instinct aka D.N. owns any ammount of satisfaction that a person like howard lederer aka a abc poker machine must feel.i am a disabled vet with a secure income a car and home i have a wife and two daughters. I use to play for cash alot when single and graduated to online some when i got married never really taken it serious until recently. I started playing some 50 1 dollar and some 25 or 50 nl and i just went insane over the crazy calls and i decided that i didnt want to truely gamble i wanted to compete so i started playing freerolls i play a ton of em. I am trying to learn how to play tournies and figured that was the cheapest education i could get i have had mixed sucsess but i have made around 2k in freerolls.anyways please flame me or enlighten me

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

1st of all i admit i am not a good poker playerStopped reading about there.
Good call.I read the whole thing. I'm still formulating a response. Right now I have:--------------------EV

I also only play freerolls. It's called 1/2 at party poker. That's 1/2. Party. Poker. 1. 2. Poker. That's a party.

what's there to flame.. You didn't ask a question. You made statements.If playing freerolls works for you then good. If you don't want to risk real money and instead like playing for "free money" go for it.ABC poker wins money. In limit, ABC poker at low limits is pretty much all you can play. You can get fancy and try to bluff people out of hands, but if you are playing against a sheriff who will call down any pair and you have A high what's the point in trying to get fancy?I think you are confusing the pro's "unorthodox" style with not playing ABC poker. They still bet when they have good hands, bluff occassionally, and call down in spots where they have showdown value. Same things that happen on a 1/2 limit table.In closing, if you want to write general thoughts or musings on poker, start a blog.

#1: Bankroll management is AS important as confidence.#2: Playing ABC poker doesn't make you a real poker player? Are you drunk? ABC poker is the most successful poker up until about 5/10 online.#3: DN doesn't play just off of instinct. He plays off of instinct, odds, ABC poker, and reads. Howard Lederer is a great poker player and takes just as much satisfaction out of his style as DN. And if you think Howard Lederer only plays ABC poker, you couldn't be more wrong.I love how you state that freerolls are more competitive than cash games, which are more "gambling." This could, quite possibly, be the stupidest thing ever said on this forum. Okay, maybe not, but it's close.Winning tournaments involves a ton of luck - but I wouldn't expect you to figure that out.Keep playing your freerolls. Clearly you know more than any of us on this forum ever could.

what's there to flame.. You didn't ask a question. You made statements.If playing freerolls works for you then good. If you don't want to risk real money and instead like playing for "free money" go for it.ABC poker wins money. In limit, ABC poker at low limits is pretty much all you can play. You can get fancy and try to bluff people out of hands, but if you are playing against a sheriff who will call down any pair and you have A high what's the point in trying to get fancy?I think you are confusing the pro's "unorthodox" style with not playing ABC poker. They still bet when they have good hands, bluff occassionally, and call down in spots where they have showdown value. Same things that happen on a 1/2 limit table.In closing, if you want to write general thoughts or musings on poker, start a blog.
Are you insinuating the OP is out of line for creating this thread? If you don't like his post, why bother responding at all? You should learn to use a little more tact in your responses. Maybe they'll teach you that this coming school year.
Are you insinuating the OP is out of line for creating this thread? If you don't like his post, why bother responding at all? You should learn to use a little more tact in your responses. Maybe they'll teach you that this coming school year.
How's this for tact? Shutup.Seriously - not only was the OP a self-righteous post, it was full of fishy ramblings that were dead wrong. The OP deserves any and all flaming he gets. This is nothing compared to what he'd get on other forums.

HAHA, that's what keeps me coming back to this forum:The guy asks for advice . . .Doesn't say anything even remotely inflammatory . . . Is humble in doing so . . . And gets torched nonetheless.Awesome.

Yes he is out of line creating this thread. Why bother responding? Well to tell you the truth, I hope I hurt him so deeply he never comes back.I should learn to use more tact? Um...yeah..Maybe he should use alittle more "tact" before he goes ahead and aborts this entire board with his ****ing pointless rambling threads.As for the upcoming school year, unfortunately it's not going to be coming..You see, I graduated 7 years ago. So luckily I don't have to deal with ****tard kids like yourself. Thank god!
Guest XXEddie
Amazing. I feel stupid even responding. That's just.....wow. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
its amazing that numberous people post crap like that knowing they will get flammed
Are you insinuating the OP is out of line for creating this thread? If you don't like his post' date=' why bother responding at all? You should learn to use a little more tact in your responses. Maybe they'll teach you that this coming school year.[/quote']Yes he is out of line creating this thread. Why bother responding? Well to tell you the truth, I hope I hurt him so deeply he never comes back.I should learn to use more tact? Um...yeah..Maybe he should use alittle more "tact" before he goes ahead and aborts this entire board with his censored pointless rambling threads.As for the upcoming school year, unfortunately it's not going to be coming..You see, I graduated 7 years ago. So luckily I don't have to deal with censored kids like yourself. Thank god![/quote]Congrats on your graduating. I did so also, in 1987. If you're being honest about your age, maybe you should try acting it.

I am acting my age, I am old enough to not have to deal with veterans which would indicate an older gentleman, making pointless threads on the internet. On top of that if you read the OP, the guy flat out says "please blast to hell all I have to say" Why are you making it an issue?Do you see why?Do you?

I am acting my age, I am old enough to not have to deal with veterans which would indicate an older gentleman, making pointless threads on the internet. On top of that if you read the OP, the guy flat out says "please blast to hell all I have to say" Why are you making it an issue?Do you see why?Do you?
As far as the first bold statement goes, did you actually just say that? LMAO, I'm not even going to touch that one.As far as the second bold statement goes, I was wondering when you'd get around to pointing that out. So if I said shut off ur pc and go to bed, would you?

I remember telling some of my friends that I don't, as a rule, like poker players. Too busy validating their egos through needless cruelty. Of course, he DID ask to be flamed, so I shouldn't REALLY complain.I agree the OP has a lot to learn, and doing freerolls is not a bad way to get the nuts and bolts. and let's face it, the 0.50/1 on party or wherever is hardly a place to find serious, competitive people. I would actually argue that free roll tournaments (once you get past the first few hands where people are REALLY stupid) are generally a much better place to learn.I just don't get the point of flaming, I guess.To the OP:1. Bankroll management is nothing short of ESSENTIAL.2. Playing the scale on a piano won't make you a concert pianist, either. But it's not like there are many concert pianists who didn't have to play scales at some point in theri education. Learn the fundamentals before you trying to develop a more sophisticated game. If you don't know how to play KJs from position, you'll never know how to play 78s from out of position. (or when the situations that you should even consider it arise)3. The only satisifaction comes from winning and losing, not how you got there. DO what wins and is good for buisnes (yeah, you can win by making the whole table hate you and putting people on tilt, but that's not good for buisness, in the long term).

As far as the second bold statement goes, I was wondering when you'd get around to pointing that out. So if I said shut off ur pc and go to bed, would you?
What kind of idiotic rhetoric is that?Terrible analogy.