ok, i made the jump to 2/4 nl from limit. wanted to see if i got it or not. put a part of the bankroll aside for finding out if i suck or not. 3 times now, i put all my chips in the pot with the best of it and have come up bad. flush draw ran me down with all the money in on the flop, queens beaten by a-5 all in preflop, and kings beaten by a-j suited allin preflop. i am most likely a weak player, but i am pretty solid pre-flop, well i hope. i was up a little money in all these games and ran into some maniacs and i tried raising them strong with great hands. i still have some buyins from my trial period to keep on, should i keep playing and mark this up as bad variance, or should i go back to my safe 2BB/100 hand limit game. i can beat those somewhat consistantly.

Quit getting all of your money in pre-flop.Coin flip hands won't be your best source of profit.If you can't, then go back to limit where the capped betting prevents this from happening.

ok, i made the jump to 2/4 nl from limit. wanted to see if i got it or not. put a part of the bankroll aside for finding out if i suck or not. 3 times now, i put all my chips in the pot with the best of it and have come up bad. flush draw ran me down with all the money in on the flop, queens beaten by a-5 all in preflop, and kings beaten by a-j suited allin preflop. i am most likely a weak player, but i am pretty solid pre-flop, well i hope. i was up a little money in all these games and ran into some maniacs and i tried raising them strong with great hands. i still have some buyins from my trial period to keep on, should i keep playing and mark this up as bad variance, or should i go back to my safe 2BB/100 hand limit game. i can beat those somewhat consistantly.
If your going to try to switch to NL, don't make it a lateral movement. 2/4 limit requires a much smaller BR than 2/4 NL. I would recommend $100 buyin tables, which are either .25/.50 or .50/1. A 2/4 table would probobly require a $500 buyin, and Im guessing your BR is in the $1000-$1500 range based on your limit play.
uh, those arent coinflips, hes a huge favorite in all of themcoin flips are queens vs AK or tens vs KQ. Ill take Kings vs AJs for all my chips every hand for the rest of my life
It's not that I disagree that he was a favouritebut in both cases he had underpairs taken out by a lone ace.If he showed some patience and allowed a flop to come, he could limit his losses when the dreaded ace comes.
uh, those arent coinflips, hes a huge favorite in all of themcoin flips are queens vs AK or tens vs KQ. Ill take Kings vs AJs for all my chips every hand for the rest of my life
It's not that I disagree that he was a favouritebut in both cases he had underpairs taken out by a lone ace.If he showed some patience and allowed a flop to come, he could limit his losses when the dreaded ace comes.
I guess that would depend on who's raising or who's calling. If the OP with the high PP's is calling, there is no problem. However, he probobly would be better off raising 5-6BB with the Kings and queens and seeing a flop. Going all in with those cards is like trying to hit a home run every time.
It's not that I disagree that he was a favouritebut in both cases he had underpairs taken out by a lone ace.If he showed some patience and allowed a flop to come' date=' he could limit his losses when the dreaded ace comes.[/quote']Going all in with those cards is like trying to hit a home run every time.
Yea, its bad to get all your money in pre-flop as a large favorite. I hate doing that.

Yea, its bad to get all your money in pre-flop as a large favorite. I hate doing that.I think the point he and I are trying to make is that there AREother ways to play these hands other than just pushing all inevery time.Just because you were a favourite when only 2 of the 7 totalcards were showing, in the long run, I think he's better offshowing a little restraint, at least until we see a flop.

It's not that I disagree that he was a favouritebut in both cases he had underpairs taken out by a lone ace.If he showed some patience and allowed a flop to come' date=' he could limit his losses when the dreaded ace comes.[/quote']Going all in with those cards is like trying to hit a home run every time.
Yea' date=' its bad to get all your money in pre-flop as a large favorite. I hate doing that.[/quote']I guess I should've been a little more clear. Going all-in every time with Q's and K's will give you the home runs (called and winning) but a lot of times everyone may fold, giving you only the blinds.. A large raise will Isolate and build the pot more often, and if no ace hits, you can make another large bet and most likely take it down.

acesfullmike, I say keep at it but drop down to $0.50/$1.00. That's where you should be playing if you're playing $2/$4 limit. You'll find that the kill and bankroll requirements are similar at this level. Additionally, you'll find that your "test NL bankroll" will last longer, allowing you to (hopefully) overcome the variance.If the only significant pots that you lost are the ones you described, then obviously you did well to get your money in the pot with by far the best hand. Ignore all the monkeys above who are saying to avoid getting all-in preflop with big pairs. If you can manage to pull an aggressive playing all-in preflop with you, that's exactly what you want. It'll pay off in the long run.

Ignore all the monkeys above who are saying to avoid getting all-in preflop with big pairs. If you can manage to pull an aggressive playing all-in preflop with you, that's exactly what you want. It'll pay off in the long run.
Thank you. To the Op, if you want some good advice on how to play hands post in strategy. Don't post in general because you get monkeys telling you its not good getting it all-in preflop with big pairs, because "an ace might spike."

i guess i should have been a little clearer. on most of these hands i got raised into or reraised. that is why i pushed so hard. currently crushing a 5/10 limit game right now with a bunch of clowns. candy from a baby. think me and my math minor will stick there. i cant take the allin losers when i have people crushed. :cry: :cry: thanks again for all the advice.

Sounds like youre applying the survival strategy of tourneys to the concept of always getting it all in as a favorite in a cash game.