a little gossip from t. brunson...

Found this in an ESPN feature on Todd Brunson (whose chapter on stud 8OB in SS2 is excellent, by the way). Given the prediliction of everyone on this site (myself included) to gossip like fishwives about this type of thing, I was wondering if anyone had any guesses on who he might be talking about. Anyway, here is the quote...Todd won $255,945 in copping his first WSOP bracelet, and it was the cash that he seemed most interested in after his victory Thursday, not talk of a bracelet, not an accounting of the number of WSOP final tables made."It's totally meaningless,'' Todd says. "It only recently became a big deal. What matters is if you win or lose. It's how you do at the end of the year. You see these guys win – I want to name somebody, but I won't – he wins all kinds of bracelets and at the end of the year, he's broke every year since I've know him for 15 years. No matter how much money he wins, I wind up with all of it. He wins all the bracelets, comes to play, then I get his money (in cash games).''I thought it was interesting (and catty, which is always fun). It's also very revealing of the guy's mindset -- money first and foremost, glory far afield.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt it's Gus, since he hasn't been playing for 15 years.  My only guess would be TJ Cloutier.
try another guy who is in Todd's age bracket that he cited in his section stud8 section about not berating bad players
I doubt it's Gus, since he hasn't been playing for 15 years.  My only guess would be TJ Cloutier.
try another guy who is in Todd's age bracket that he cited in his section stud8 section about not berating bad players
*Raises Hand*Phil... Hellmuth....?
Would that be the bad boy of poker himself Phil Hellmuth?
I didn't say and, and neither did todd :club: (plus, todd has known tj for much longer than 15 years, tj has known doyle for a long time)
Would that be the bad boy of poker himself Phil Hellmuth?
I didn't say and, and neither did todd :club: (plus, todd has known tj for much longer than 15 years, tj has known doyle for a long time)
TJ Seems more or less the right answer as well but TJ's played for longer than 15 years... I dont think Phil's going broke all the time though is he?

while tj has been playing longer than 15 years perhaps 15 is the years that Todd has played him. make sense?That could be...because I really don't think it is Phil Hellmuth

TJ Seems more or less the right answer as well but TJ's played for longer than 15 years... I dont think Phil's going broke all the time though is he?
I'm not sure if Todd been playing for more than 15 years.
 I want to name somebody, but I won't – he wins all kinds of bracelets and at the end of the year, he's broke every year since I've know him for 15 years. No matter how much money he wins, I wind up with all of it. He wins all the bracelets, comes to play, then I get his money (in cash games).''
look at the bolded portion. think about when tj came onto the scene, and think about when a certain someone had his first big tourny win(yup about 15 years ago)
The bracelet comment seems like a pretty big dig at Hellmuth. Although I didn't really think he played in the high cash games either.
ya, I was also under the impression he doesnt play much of the side games and only other person that comes to mind about the bracelet comment is Chan but I cant see that as the person either.

just cause we don't know about phil playing certain limits, doesn't mean that he doesn't. I can't see how his ego would keep him any lower than 400-800. I'm pretty sure that the money he makes now comes from endorsements, and let us not forget, his wife is a rich doctor, and the rest of his family is not exactly hurting for $$$$

Chan is nowhere near broke. He plays big cash games (although i'm not sure about the "big game") and does quite well.Phil does play in "lower" high limit games though, like 200/400. Although from what I hear even Jerry Buss kicks his ass in those.

i just don't see how it's possible it could be phil, with his infinite endorsements.
Those just started 2 years ago though
*shrugs* if i were a betting man, i'd take chan over hellmuth.
phil plays in cash games but usually around the 300-600 or 400-800 level.    Most likely he is talking about johnny chan.  Its pretty well known that chan has some major holes in his game outside of holdem
funny, as chan is one of the best plo players out there. I really don't think its chan. remember people, the 4K-8K game isn't exactly being spread every single night