worst beat i ever put on anyone

Sometimes your opponent is more likely to call a bet with a marginal hand than to bet when checked to.I would probably bet on the turn, making it look like I'm trying to steal (it's a common play after your opponent shows total weakness). If the opponent has anything he'll call or raise; if he folds it's unlikely you'll get much on the river. If he calls on the turn he'll call on the river unless he misses his draw and has nothing. If he raises, you can go nuts and jam the pot.

First of all,It says at the top that this is a (LIMIT) tournament. So, to the poster that suggested raising 5xBB....just be quiet.Secondly, how in the world did the guy play his aces badly? Its a limit tournament, he is heads up against an extrememly small stack...you )
The AA was the small stack. so i think u need to be quiet
Im sorry I didnt attribute my pronouns properly........I was of course referring to the opponent and got my grammer backwards....I still don't see how you can blame the fellow for slow playing a monster hand.
I still don't see how you can blame the fellow for slow playing a monster hand.
Flat calling the BB actually telegraphs a monster hand, IMHO. 3-handed, if the button folds a raise by the SB means only that the SB has two cards that don't completely suck and the BB will often play back with any piece of the flop or any high card. The smooth call means the SB is up to something sneaky, and the BB might be more inclined to only play back with a hand.So if I'm in that situation, I'll raise the aces, just like I'd do with K7 or J9 or any number of marginal hands. And if that means I just win the blinds, so be it - if I can win the blinds every time I raise 3-handed, I'll be in pretty good shape. I don't think the guy's play in the original post was awful, but from my (admittedly light) experience in limit tournaments, it's not the best way to take down a decent sized pot.
I still don't see how you can blame the fellow for slow playing a monster hand.
Flat calling the BB actually telegraphs a monster hand, IMHO. 3-handed, if the button folds a raise by the SB means only that the SB has two cards that don't completely suck and the BB will often play back with any piece of the flop or any high card. The smooth call means the SB is up to something sneaky, and the BB might be more inclined to only play back with a hand.So if I'm in that situation, I'll raise the aces, just like I'd do with K7 or J9 or any number of marginal hands. And if that means I just win the blinds, so be it - if I can win the blinds every time I raise 3-handed, I'll be in pretty good shape. I don't think the guy's play in the original post was awful, but from my (admittedly light) experience in limit tournaments, it's not the best way to take down a decent sized pot.
I don't see how it telegraphs a monster hand, I'll call the big blind with an average hand very frequently. If I find the big blind constantly raising when I limp, I'll start limp re-raising. This deep into a tournament, your playing to get chips, as many as you can, Aces in the hole is the best spot you can hope for. You always run the risk of being outdrawn on, but I'd take this risk to try and get more chips. Slowplaying a hand does not depend on how strong your own hand is, but rather what your opponent has and the chances of them outdrawing on you. You don't always need a set to slowplay, a hand like AK against AJ with an Ace on the flop is a sometimes a good time to slowplay because you have that hand dominated. On the turn with Aces full, you have just about every hand dominated, so checking is fine here to let your opponent catch up and make a 2nd best hand or bluff at the pot.It's really your own preference to play this hand fast or not, but your not giving yourself much of a chance to get chips if you fast play a hand like this where most of the time you have your opponents drawing slim.
It's really your own preference to play this hand fast or not, but your not giving yourself much of a chance to get chips if you fast play a hand like this where most of the time you have your opponents drawing slim.
There's three people left in a limit holdem tournament, it's not a time when anybody's likely to sit back and wait for hands. Chances are, unless you really hate getting chips, you're fastplaying hands like A3o and getting action from equally shaky hands. Lots of pots are decided by high cards and low pairs. Anybody who suddenly backs off and changes their style just because they caught a hand that'd be huge in a full ring game is hanging up a big neon sign that says "great huge hand here, don't call my river bet unless you have the stone cold nuts."
He didn't play it perfectly.  He played it donkishly.  He deserved that.
This is about the silliest post ever. He lost to running 8's, if he goes all in on the turn with the fullhouse he loses as the guy with 8's is going to call. Would I have raised on the river after the 3 8s were out there...no, but to blame the guy for slow playing till the river is clearly idiotic.
Folks ... This was limit poker.... Never slow play those in limit.
Guest XXEddie
I agree in this situation being severly behind that playing for the trap was a good play , however as a general rule always bet AA.
no, raise if you pick up the blinds thats fine, even the BB is a healty part of your stack

One thing everyone is forgetting is his table image. If he was playing really agressively i think he needs to raise with aces preflop because people will call or reraise with a wide range of hands but if hes playing tight i dont mind the limp. In terms of post flop he played the hand fine, he probally would have got all his chips in on the turn with 28 had he bet there but post flop he had a virtually unbeatable hand and got very unlucky

If you can't slowplay when you are a 99.9% favorite, then when can you slowplay. Once the turn came, neither player was folding, so why say that this is the worst way to play AA? Should he fastplay when the other person is only going to win 1 times out of 1000?

Guest XXEddie
If you can't slowplay when you are a 99.9% favorite, then when can you slowplay. Once the turn came, neither player was folding, so why say that this is the worst way to play AA? Should he fastplay when the other person is only going to win 1 times out of 1000?
slowplaying the flop or turn wasnt that bad to me, it was limping with AA to begin