I've been playing poker for about a year and a half with friends in small home games and I've won over $1k. I'm wondering which poker book would most help me get better and improve my skills. I'm not trying to advance to "fulfill my dream of becoming a poker pro", rather, I want to further my knowledge of the game and become a better player. We play exclusively NL holdem cash games with a $20 buyin and .25/.50 blinds...any suggestions?

Phil Hellmuth's book is not bad based on what you typed. It is not hard to understand and may be helpful. Or not. 8)

I would suggest SSHE, but you probably know most of what Sklansky has too say there.Go for Theory of Poker, Caro's Book of Tells, and Hold'em for Advanced Players.

Phil Hellmuth's book is not bad based on what you typed. It is not hard to understand and may be helpful. Or not. 8)
Sure... Great book....If you like losing tons of money!!
I would suggest SSHE, but you probably know most of what Sklansky has too say there. Go for Theory of Poker, Caro's Book of Tells, and Hold'em for Advanced Players.
Did you bother to read the question?He said NL!

Even SSHE can, why not? It gives a good starting hand guide depending on how many players are in the game, just because there is NO limit doesn't mean you can't convert it, just adapt the theories, and besides... I didn't recommend SSHE, I thought he would be too advanced to be wasting his money on it in the first place.

Now that I've finished puttin the smack down and Keepin it :realplayer:Allow me to make an educated response.There aren't any very good NL Cash game books out there.. But Harrington on Holdem is made for NL Tournaments, and most of the ideas in the book could carry over into a cash game if you know how to adjust a bit. Really what you need to do is read a lot of books and kind of average it out. There is another book I haven't read that's fairly new called No Limit and Pot Limit something or other. Supposedly it's decent. But really i'm not sure. Can't go wrong with Harrington, although some tournament ideas won't matter... but it can't hurt to learn it anyway. If anyone says SS2... Ignore that, you will lose a lot playing Doyle's style in a casual cash game. It's meant for high limits.SSHE is the best if you ever want to learn limit.That's about all.Hopefully someone puts out a good NL cash game book sometime, it's definitely an area that's lacking.

So what? TOP converts too NL too.
First of all... Not really.But secondly, it's not a strategy book.... It's not really going to teach you how to play better, not in the traditional sense at least.

Unless a book is SPECIFICALLY for limit, I don't see why you can't adapt it. SSHE improved my game in both areas, I've never read a SS, what are they like? I know... I know... I'm a 2+2 whore :club:

Unless a book is SPECIFICALLY for limit, I don't see why you can't adapt it. SSHE improved my game in both areas, I've never read a SS, what are they like? I know... I know... I'm a 2+2 whore :club:
It IS specifically for limit. And it's completely different game. It tells you when to play specific hands and when to fold and so on. NL is not like that at all... everything is much more variable. You can play 9-7s in NL and take down a huge pot. I don't think that's on the list in SSHE. He also sounds like he hasn't read any books, so I don't think he's up to adapting strategies if he would be reading a limit strategy without any background in NL strategy from any other books. In order to take bits and peices and adapt, you need to have read at least a few books already, so you have bits to put together. He'd be much better off with a NL tourney book than SSHE.
Kurt, what are the Super System's like?
I haven't read 1, but the NL is the same.As far as the NL... it's very aggressive. Lots of betting out whether you have something or not. Taking down a ton of small pots, so that if you do pick up some kind of draw and someone shows strength, you can just push, and afford to be a dog because of all the pots you picked up along the way.Basically, you're betting so often that eventually they'll play back at you... but when they do, you just push in, with outs of course, and try to suckout on them, cause you can afford it.Give or take.

Any decen't Stud section? I'm debating getting 7CSFAP or something else for my stud needs. 2+2's been good too me so far though :club:

Kurt, what are the Super System's like?
I haven't read 1, but the NL is the same.As far as the NL... it's very aggressive. Lots of betting out whether you have something or not. Taking down a ton of small pots, so that if you do pick up some kind of draw and someone shows strength, you can just push, and afford to be a dog because of all the pots you picked up along the way.Basically, you're betting so often that eventually they'll play back at you... but when they do, you just push in, with outs of course, and try to suckout on them, cause you can afford it.Give or take.
Aptly put. As Kurt stated, it generally doesn't work for low limit games. You can't buy pots against people who don't fold. Of course, hopefully one would be able to adapt to such a game.
Any decen't Stud section? I'm debating getting 7CSFAP or something else for my stud needs. 2+2's been good too me so far though :club:
SS1 has an excellent stud section.SS2 has an excellent stud 8/better sectionAt least, that's what I've heard anyway.
I haven't read it through fully, but it's supposed to be very good. Todd Brunson does it.. but It's Stud 8. The normal stud is in the first version. I started to read it a lil but moved on at some point, lol. The limit section is real good though. Nothing too in depth, but still lots of good stuff in there.
There is that idea, but I always feel like such a weirdo having like 6 poker books in my arsenal. 8)
I have 5 right now, and 4 more on the way.

I think the best book for NL is Harrington now. It gives you a solid basic tight strategy and goes over the basic principles behind your betting, odds and reading opponents hands. The case examples are solid and Vol. Two is just around the corner (but that will really help your tourneys more with inflection points and what not).It does not take much to apply to cash game -- basically play more patiently because the blinds are so low. Have discipline online (or live) and you will be a sure money maker.Harrington was a great cash player and much of his book applies to my stnadard NL game.

There is that idea, but I always feel like such a weirdo having like 6 poker books in my arsenal. 8)
I've got 12. That makes me the lamest one. I even have Johnny Chan's piece of crap.
Aptly put. As Kurt stated, it generally doesn't work for low limit games. You can't buy pots against people who don't fold. Of course, hopefully one would be able to adapt to such a game.
Well, I've only skimmed through SS1, but Doyle does cover that in the book. Not for low limits specifically, but for player that dont fold. He tells you that you have to make a hand against these people.Quite honestly I havent read many poker books, but to my knowledge Doyle's Super System is the best for NL cash games. But you have to be sure to read the Holdem (both limit and no-limit) in its entirity. Also try to under the concepts. Its not going to tell you how to play hand XYZ. For beginning players, there are subtle things in his advice that they are going to miss.