• The Wire
    • Other

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i cant wait until next week when GOV is all like i dont even get why mcnulty is on the show.

The blood bank

baskets took a few episodes to get its see-legs, then was overall pretty good to very good.

The list of Deadwood/Justified crossovers is super long. Off the top of my head, apart from the people I think I've mentioned, Harry Manning and Danny's sidekick Johnny are both in Justified, and I know I'm missing people.

My favorite cameos, though, are Patton Oswalt and Mike from GUTS

Yeah, I don't think he's bad. He's exactly what he has to be. He's Percy Harvin, and I'm a man who happens to not like watching slot receivers.

I think he's better than Percy Harvin, because I have always pretty much hated Percy Harvin, and isn't Percy Harvin still hurt?

I am too drunk to continue this conversation but tomorrow I will read whatever nonsense I wrote, correct it, and offer an intelligent opinion. For now however I CHOOSE TO VOMIT ON MYSELF AGAIN

Deadwood was such an amazing cast of characters. Almost every little character was awesome, and I didn't mind the side track stories ( except Bullock's home life troubles) because the side characters were awesome. N1gger General, Racist Steve, EB, the gimp jizz mopper, Wu. But my favorite non-main character, and it's not even close was Richardson

Ep27-Richardson2.jpg

And I'm not even saying that just for laughs. One of the things the show did really well, was portray how brutal Deadwood and the west could be for the weakest. The whores, the minorities, the mentally and physically ill, the alcoholics and junkies, the children, all their vulnerabilities were shown to, if not a realistic degree, at least to a compelling degree.

• Like 1

I am too drunk to continue this conversation but tomorrow I will read whatever nonsense I wrote, correct it, and offer an intelligent opinion. For now however I CHOOSE TO VOMIT ON MYSELF AGAIN

I think we were both a lot more coherent than we realized last night. It goes to show you what consummate professionals we are when it comes to pretending to know about things. I consider this thread a resounding success already.

• Like 1

Olyphant ain't no Percy Harvin, he's Edleman at best.

The only thing I regret in this thread was not putting in a little google effort to come up with a B+ slot guy who doesn't play with Manning or Brady. Harvin was the only slot receiver I could think of off the top of my head, and a sober me would have put in three minutes and nailed it.

The guy who plays Wynn Duffy...I've seen him in a bunch of other things, and he was terrible. But he is amazing in Justified.

The only other thing I've seen him in is Breaking Bad, and I thought he was just fine. He didn't have that big of a role.

I don't know why, but I really like way Daniel Faraday plays Dickie Bennett. I didn't love him in LOST, but some reason the way he plays Dickie just kills me. "Put your foot in, Walt. (does weirdly smooth snake thing with his arms and points gun at Walt's head)"

Frankly, the show is filled with top-notch actors, even in the small roles. Stephen Root is good as Judge Reardon (though I've always had a soft spot for him), Nick Searcy as Art, and I really like Jacob Pitts as Gutterson. Margo Martindale won an Emmy for her portrayal of Mags Bennett. And most of the one-off monster-of-the-week guest actors are great, too. I think the only character I never really bought into was Dewey Crowe, and that's more a function of him just being too goofy for my taste, and less a function of the actor's chops. I'm pretty sure the guy that plays him is Australian, and I could never tell listening to his hick fuck Kentuck accent, so good on him. I don't remember when Stephen Tobolowsky (Ned Ryerson in Groundhog Day) shows up, but he's one of my all time favorite character actors.

The bad guys in Season 4 are pretty sweet, too. Mike O'Malley shows up, and he's pretty awesome.

I think, maybe, this is part of the reason why I really like what Olyphant does with Raylan. He's surrounded by talent. Pretty much every scene he's in, he's acting with somebody who has serious chops, and the writing is so good, the biggest disaster would be if he tried to do too much. His character, for the most part, is incredibly simple, and just as cliched. He's a cowboy, he's fiercely protective of his loved ones, he trusts almost no one, and he's supremely confident in both his ethical system, and his ability to get out of trouble. (I'm drunk again, so I'm probably missing stuff/wrong.) He plays "badass," incredibly well, and he delivers some REALLY over the top lines in such a way that we don't think twice. I mean, he's a renegade US Marshall Cowboy, and the series starts with him counting down on a Miami thug, then out drawing him and shooting him at a crowded restaurant. Despite all the absolute badass, head-slamming, quick-drawing, trash-talking, shot-calling NONSENSE he pulls, he is absolutely convincing.

I guess what I'm saying is, if that man asked to **** my girlfriend, I'd be like, "I'd be honored."

Oh man, I just watched S1E11, and I think I kind of forgot how banging Winona was. That dress, with the belt, and the hair, as she's fumbling around, desperate to get a deep dipthong from Raylan....

Your list looks like my all-time top list for some reason :)

If you haven't seen any of them and you have all the time in the world, watch Dexter. You'll blow through all 8 seasons in a week, it is that good. If you don't have all the time in the world, watch Game of Thrones since you've only got 3 seasons to blow a week on.

Nick, do you find that this show causes you to drink a lot more bourbon than you normally would? I was already a bourbon man, but this shit's getting ridiculous.

Every time I watch the show, I end up casually polishing off half a bottle of bourbon, yes. What is your "house bourbon?" As much as I drink, it's never really made sense to me to get all hammered on expensive liquor, so I usually keep a few bottles of something nice around for my first drink, and then transition to something that I can use to get ****ed up, something that's drinkable, but not prohibitively expensive. To that end, I drink Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig 12, and Old Grandad 114 proof for the nights I happen to accidentally make eye contact with myself in a mirror, but I'm open to suggestions.

Every time I watch the show, I end up casually polishing off half a bottle of bourbon, yes. What is your "house bourbon?" As much as I drink, it's never really made sense to me to get all hammered on expensive liquor, so I usually keep a few bottles of something nice around for my first drink, and then transition to something that I can use to get ****ed up, something that's drinkable, but not prohibitively expensive. To that end, I drink Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig 12, and Old Grandad 114 proof for the nights I happen to accidentally make eye contact with myself in a mirror, but I'm open to suggestions.

I like all of those bourbons. I even like the regular $10 OGD, tbh.

The bourbon I drink the most of is probably Eagle Rare Single Barrel, at about $30, but it's just been unseated at that price point by Elmer T Lee. I also have a special fondness for Wild Turkey 101, at about 2/3 the price. But all things consider, my favorite reasonable sippin' whisky is Booker's. I'm picky about scotch, but not so much about bourbon.

I like all of those bourbons. I even like the regular $10 OGD, tbh.

The bourbon I drink the most of is probably Eagle Rare Single Barrel, at about $30, but it's just been unseated at that price point by Elmer T Lee. I also have a special fondness for Wild Turkey 101, at about 2/3 the price. But all things consider, my favorite reasonable sippin' whisky is Booker's. I'm picky about scotch, but not so much about bourbon.

Isn't Bookers like $70 a bottle? I'm not nearly baller enough to consistently down $40 bucks of a booze a night and not hate myself

Isn't Bookers like $70 a bottle? I'm not nearly baller enough to consistently down $40 bucks of a booze a night and not hate myself

It's like $50, depending on the region. I don't buy it as often as I should.

I can't stress how good Elmer T Lee is for $30, btw. I'm not 100% sure it isn't my favorite whisky right now, at any price point below Pappy.

I've never had it. I'm actually going to a liquor store now. If they have it, I'll pick up a bottle.

EDIT: Pretty much everything from Buffalo Trace is good, so far as I know, and I just saw they make Elmer