• The Wire
    • Other

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i cant wait until next week when GOV is all like i dont even get why mcnulty is on the show.

The blood bank

baskets took a few episodes to get its see-legs, then was overall pretty good to very good.

You'd take Winona over Ava? I'd make them both wish for death, obv, but I think I'd make Ava wish she'd never been born.

Yeah. Ava has the most retarded voice on the planet, which is a bit hot in a way, but I'm #TeamWynnona.

Yeah. Ava has the most retarded voice on the planet, which is a bit hot in a way, but I'm #TeamWynnona.

I wouldn't be able to get sword wholly unsheathed with either, so I'm not going to put up much of a fight, except to say that I dated and am still friends with a stripper who looks kinda like Ava

I'm early in season two.

In addition to having a perfect body, a much prettier face, a less revolving accent, a good job, a good education and being a lot smarter, I appreciate that Winona (is that really how she spells it? -5 points) doesn't live in "the holler."

It also really turns me on the way she cheats on her little bitchboy husband with a real man.

In Ava's defense, I like that she seems to have a soft spot for violent criminals.

I'll give her some time to develop, but given her social caste and Winona's looks, Ava is in an extremely deep hole.

Your projected OTP will be introduced later in the season.

Ava blew her husband's face off, and makes fried chicken. She has a whole drawer filled with lingerie to wear when the repair man or letter carrier comes around.

Winona lives in a McMansion on a cul de sac, bangs around in a cheap hotel room, and constantly announces she would never (NEVER!) ask Raylan to change. Hey, Winona, go type on your silent keyboard and get a storyline that doesn't depend on who you're sleeping with.

Your projected OTP will be introduced later in the season.

Ava blew her husband's face off, and makes fried chicken. She has a whole drawer filled with lingerie to wear when the repair man or letter carrier comes around.

Winona lives in a McMansion on a cul de sac, bangs around in a cheap hotel room, and constantly announces she would never (NEVER!) ask Raylan to change. Hey, Winona, go type on your silent keyboard and get a storyline that doesn't depend on who you're sleeping with.

I like that Ava gets whored up for the mailman, but I also like that Winona lives in a mcmansion and only exists to in terms of her man.

Here is another thing: trashy girls are exactly the kinds of girls who make and pride themselves on fried foods. There are a lot of hot girls in the south who can compensate for that in part with lucky genetics. In their 20's anyway.

Counterpoint: who wants to date a chick older than that anyway?

More questions than answers today.

Ava and Winona are about the same age, right?

Ava is living correctly. Winona acts like a shrew in her 50s. Yes, she's the prettiest girl in the office (snore), but she should be using sex as a weapon. Her brains and personal taste will soon her to a life of Bed Bath and Beyond assistant manager.

Ava and Winona are about the same age, right?

Ava is living correctly. Winona acts like a shrew in her 50s. Yes, she's the prettiest girl in the office (snore), but she should be using sex as a weapon. Her brains and personal taste will soon her to a life of Bed Bath and Beyond assistant manager.

Using sex as a weapon is super hot. She'll be a lawyer with a nice body, shitty taste and weaponized sex. Sounds pretty good to me.

I can't state how much worse the show was early on, btw. Other than actual plot development, I think a lot of that is just that there is less Olyphant and more Boyd. Olyphan's somehow made a career out of being an ostensible protagonist who I can't wait to see leave the screen so likable, charismatic people can entertain me. He's never played a character who anyone actually wants to have a conversation with. It's not that it doesn't work for the roles he's played (i.e.Bullock and Raylan sort of need to be terrible and humorless), but it does mean that shows he's on are a lot better when he appears in fewer than half the scenes, and I'm yet to see a floor for how little Olyphan they can use before I start thinking, "needs more Olyphant."

• Like 1

OK, you guys were right, I see what you were saying. #TeamBoydAndAva.

Do you mind if I asked what scene/episode/whatever made you change your mind?

I can't state how much worse the show was early on, btw. Other than actual plot development, I think a lot of that is just that there is less Olyphant and more Boyd. Olyphan's somehow made a career out of being an ostensible protagonist who I can't wait to see leave the screen so likable, charismatic people can entertain me. He's never played a character who anyone actually wants to have a conversation with. It's not that it doesn't work for the roles he's played (i.e.Bullock and Raylan sort of need to be terrible and humorless), but it does mean that shows he's on are a lot better when he appears in fewer than half the scenes, and I'm yet to see a floor for how little Olyphan they can use before I start thinking, "needs more Olyphant."

I like Olyphant in Justified, but I do take your point. He's a loner-type, which makes it hard to build stories around his interactions with other people. Whenever he's around another person, the interaction is certain to become antagonistic, and that makes identifying with the main character difficult, if not impossible. Now, that can work in film, because we don't have to spend too much time with the protagonist, and the time we DO spend with him is in service to a single, driving plot. And it also works when the main character is an anti-hero, because that's the whole point, there; that guy is just an *******.

Edit: I have more thoughts, specifically on Raylan and why I like him, but I'm so drunk I can barely type word thoughts. I don't trust myself to handle any large scale arguments, now.

I enjoy watching him kill 11 people every episode.

"Well I hope you understand, Raylan, that I can't let anything stand in the way of my divine calling."

Good luck with that

"No luck needed. Hello daddy!"

(goofy Goggins trot)

Do you mind if I asked what scene/episode/whatever made you change your mind?

When Boyd bust out of his rut and scammed his way back into being a crime boss, him and Ava splitting was the first legit moment of emotion the show gave me. Their friendship was the only thing keeping me interested for a while, and it was sad watching that. Then she slept with a violent sociopath (her second if we are being honest) and agreed to a life of crime, which stunned and delighted me, even with the warnings I got that it was going down. I guess the exact moment that I switched teams was when they showed her agreeing to support the life of crime during afterglow, but I started to turn the corner when Boyd said he was leaving because she'd asked him not to commit crimes in her house, and she incredulously asked, "how strictly have I enforce that policy so far?" or something to that effect.

And their relationship just clicks for me.

Re: Olyphant

I'm pretty ****ed up too, and reading that back, it seems more anti-Olyphant than I really am. Deadwood is my favorite show ever. I wouldn't for a second consider recasting Bullock. He's really perfect for the role. And I can't think of anyone who would be better as Raylan. I just happen to hate both characters as people, and if I ran into those characters at a bar, I'd rather stare at the wall of bourbon bottles than engage them in conversation. And both shows also happened to feature actors and characters who I could listen to forever. Like, Goggins is plausibly the most interesting thing on basic cable not named Louie, and Swearengen is one of maybe five Deadwood characters who have had at least one soliloquy that was better than anything that's ever been captured on camera. And he's had at least ten of those. So a lot of why I hate Olyphant characters is that he's a limited actor who happens to've been cast amongst actors and monologue writing that is completely out of the stratosphere. Like, even Olyphant's own mother had to've been just waiting for him to shut up about his stupid little shit so he could see dialog read like this:

• Like 1

I'm trying to find the soliloquy that Jack Langrishe (the theater guy) has in "Tell Him Something Pretty," but am coming up short. Jack's not really that memorable a character, but in the last episode, he ****ing blasts off for like 4 minutes and it shows just how ****ing amazing the writing and acting were on that show. I think every single character but Bullock has a moment where they just floor me.

• Like 1

Also, Ellsworth is in Justified with makes me happy. I think the first scene in Deadwood involves Al serving him rye, with him stating that he's "beholden to no human c0cksucker," which is such an amazing line.

• Like 1

You'll be really happy to know that Jim Beaver (AKA ELLSWORTH) plays a huge role in season 4, and is the impetus behind my favorite episode of the series, s04e11.

When Boyd bust out of his rut and scammed his way back into being a crime boss, him and Ava splitting was the first legit moment of emotion the show gave me. Their friendship was the only thing keeping me interested for a while, and it was sad watching that. Then she slept with a violent sociopath (her second if we are being honest) and agreed to a life of crime, which stunned and delighted me, even with the warnings I got that it was going down. I guess the exact moment that I switched teams was when they showed her agreeing to support the life of crime during afterglow, but I started to turn the corner when Boyd said he was leaving because she'd asked him not to commit crimes in her house, and she incredulously asked, "how strictly have I enforce that policy so far?" or something to that effect.

And their relationship just clicks for me.

Re: Olyphant

I'm pretty ****ed up too, and reading that back, it seems more anti-Olyphant than I really am. Deadwood is my favorite show ever. I wouldn't for a second consider recasting Bullock. He's really perfect for the role. And I can't think of anyone who would be better as Raylan. I just happen to hate both characters as people, and if I ran into those characters at a bar, I'd rather stare at the wall of bourbon bottles than engage them in conversation. And both shows also happened to feature actors and characters who I could listen to forever. Like, Goggins is plausibly the most interesting thing on basic cable not named Louie, and Swearengen is one of maybe five Deadwood characters who have had at least one soliloquy that was better than anything that's ever been captured on camera. And he's had at least ten of those. So a lot of why I hate Olyphant characters is that he's a limited actor who happens to've been cast amongst actors and monologue writing that is completely out of the stratosphere. Like, even Olyphant's own mother had to've been just waiting for him to shut up about his stupid little shit so he could see dialog read like this:

I agree completely that Olyphant has had the misfortune of being cast alongside some of the greatest characters in history (Ian McShane). Having to compete with Swearengen is like pitching to Bonds: it doesn't make any difference how good you are, he's going to make you look stupid.

But I don't think that means Olyphant doesn't have range. I could be wrong. I really like Olyphant as Bullock, and I love him as Raylan. I honestly can't imagine anyone else playing either role. He's playing characters that are absurdly inflexible much of the time, so maybe Olyphant can't do anything else, but the fact that he does it so convincingly suggests to me that he's not a terrible actor.

Raylan Givens is an *******. But I like him, despite that. I think Olyphant is a good actor. (I lost steam at the end, there, I think. I'm still pretty wasted.)