linda rulez! get your "big game" fix

If you haven't read Linda's blog yet, you're in for a treat. She's a long time Las Vegas dealer, opened the Mirage, then moved to Bellagio. (Yes, she's the one who now donates all measly high limit tokes to charity - $3-5 average, per half hour-)Here's an excerpt to get you hooked :)Friday, December 13, 2002But back to the real world of poker. The tournament is over but the games aren’t. It starts like this. Surround yourself with your own sense of insanity and it fits better, much easier to see and understand what happens in poker games.Table 1. a little nightmare of high limit but actually quite entertaining and funny if you have the insanity shield installed before you enter the game as a dealer. 1 seat, Doyle. 3 seat, Ming La. 6 seat, Chau, 7 seat, Sammy. Sammy never stops talking while he’s trying to get everyone to gamble with him, explaining now and many more times, that he’s stuck $1,000,000 in this game. Is he exaggerating? Probably not.The game? $2,000 - $4,000 Omaha 8 or Better and Pot Limit Omaha. There’s lots pancakes on the table - yeah, $25,000 chips - and stacks of $5,000 chips along with $1,000 and $500 chips. Doyle has a zillion chips surrounding his position and half filling a play over box that’s laying on its side…almost as if the play over box would keep any of his chips from escaping to the other players.Sammy keeps up the jive talking, telling Doyle that Doyle’s winner and Doyle starts telling him that he will sell all of his chips for $200,000 as he thinks he’s stuck in the game. Which in turn causes Doyle to start counting down and then he decides he’s actually winner. This process takes two or three hands to complete and the banter is still going back and forth.Chau is pretty quiet and Ming La isn’t saying anything.There are two Dealer buttons on the table. One is for the Pot Limit Omaha and the other is for the limit Omaha 8 or Better. The game switches to Pot Limit Omaha and Ming La takes a walk to the next table to visit with his friend Danny D. Sammy starts the argument that Ming can’t walk, he’s got to play both games. Ming argues over his shoulder that he doesn’t play Pot Limit.In the meantime, Chau and Sammy go to war. To add a clinker to the affair, there’s a cap on how much a player can put in the pot on each hand. $60,000. Chau and Sammy do exactly that, plus $3,500 from Doyle before the flop.The Flop is Jack-9-little, with two spades. The Turn is a Spade when the last $13,000 each goes in… they talk briefly about a deal, Chau does not have a flush, Sammy has top set and the decision is to deal. Sammy wins.Chau picks up his chips, prepared to leave the game, swearing and cursing about the Pot Limit Omaha and he doesn’t want to play it. Ming La comes back into the game and it’s Sammy’s button.Doyle and Ming La tell Chau they want to play only the Omaha 8 or Better Limit game and Sammy begins to moan and lament that they are trying to shut him out because he only plays the 8 or Better so he can play the Pot Limit as that’s his game. An argument ensues for a few minutes between all of them.The decision is made to play limit and Sammy takes a walk. Doyle tells the other two that they really want to keep Sammy in the game. What’s a fish without any eyes…f-s-h-h-h-h, silly.Sammy comes back. He has the Button in the Pot Limit but he’s going to lose it if they switch to Omaha 8 or Better Limit because it’s Doyle’s Button. Another argument begins.Doyle asks if Sammy has the button if he’s happy…yes! Sammy gets the button and Ming La has a fit because he posted the big blind already when the game changed. So….Doyle opts to post the Big Blind, let Sammy have the button, and let Ming La post the Small Blind. The hand is dealt and played out. Now Doyle opts to give Ming La the Button which puts Chau in the Small Blind and Sammy in the Big Blind.Sammy has a fit and says he’s leaving. He takes a short walk. Doyle gave up his Button and posted the Big Blind to keep Sammy and Ming La happy. He knows when he’s got the best of it.When the Button gets back to Doyle, Sammy returns and they all agree that he can be dealt in without posting. What a happy little crew!By the end of the night it was Eli E., Chau, Sammy, Jennifer, Jack G., Howard (not Howard L.), Ming La, and they moved to Table 3 because Sammy felt Table 1 was very unlucky. The game? $2,000-$4,000 Omaha 8 or Better and David S. made the comment that any $30-$60 Omaha 8 or Better player would have the best of it in that game. Read between the lines here.Well…on to Table 2. Yen (known to play for 3 days straight and get stuck $100,000 and then get even), Danny D., (friend of Ming La), and David from France, all three of them like to put chips in the pot, were playing $400-$800 Deuce to 7 Triple Draw and 7 Card Stud 8 or Better.Danny D. took a walk after a few hands and David and Yen stayed and played. Yen ran over David the first 15 to 20 minutes of the game and then David did a little running over, backing up, and running over again move on Yen.The funniest part of all of it was that during the Yen reign, when Yen raised or bet and David folded, David threw all five of his hole cards into Yen’s hand each time…not Yen’s cards but Yen’s hand. Much better than the dealer having to fade it. Yen never said a word or flinched, just stacked the chips.The rest of the night? $60-$120 Omaha 8 or Better with a 1/3 Kill, $30-$60 Holdem, $15-$30 Holdem, $20-$40 Omaha 8 or Better with a Kill, $8-$16 Holdem, more $8-$16 Holdem, $15-$30 7 Card Stud, and on and on. TGIF.http://table-tango.pokerworks.com

... and just found this...:Tuesday, December 24, 2002Last week in a Mixed $1,500 - $3,000 Omaha 8 or Better Limit game and Omaha Pot Limit game, Doyle B. was giving Black Birds as Christmas presents to the dealers when they went through his game. Yep, that’s a $100 Toke. Thank you, Doyle!On Christmas Daniel N. came into the room, appeared to be slightly on the tipsy side. U-m-m-m-h-h-h-h, slightly?Evelyn was playing $15-$30 Holdem and he ran up to her and demanded, with his impish little grin, that she raise in the dark. He knew she would win if she did. She said, “No!”As her cards were dealt, Daniel picked up six $5 chips and threw them out at the same time that she threw her cards into the muck. It was simultaneous raise/muck. Funny! He rambled on with her for a few more minutes before he moved off to create havoc with other players. Who’s Evelyn? A tall, sleek, Asian Beauty from Canada. She’s been in and out of town since the Mirage days. Graceful and beautiful, she’s an asset to any poker room.But let’s get back to Daniel. A few hours later he was walking through the poker room with a stack of $10 chips in his hand and stopping at each table, he threw each dealer a chip, “This is for you!” until he ran out of chips.Dealing isn’t always easy and sometimes it makes such a huge difference in your night if someone even tells you that you do a good job, let alone throw extra money at you. So to all of you that spent Christmas Eve and Christmas and will spend New Year’s Eve and New Years with us and give us money on top of that…Yippeee! Thank you.

Nice to read the perspective from a dealer, but good lord that's badly written. I had a hard time getting through it. I guess I'll just stick to DN's blog. It was kinda surprising to see how much the guys in the bigger games b itch and moan over the smallest little things. I thought it was only the idiot small-time amateurs who thought that "this table is unlucky."

Here we have a minimum wage employee, who works for/apparently expects gratuities, who feel like she has the right to comment IN PUBLIC about her patrons. No wonder her tips blow.

Doyle tells the other two that they really want to keep Sammy in the game. What’s a fish without any eyes…f-s-h-h-h-h, silly
Let's even assume this is even accurate...that would be the last tip she ever got if I were Sammy.
David S. made the comment that any $30-$60 Omaha 8 or Better player would have the best of it in that game. Read between the lines here.
Between what lines ? Is that suppose to be a slick way to insert her opinion ? David may or may not have evn said this...but if he did, he is certainly in a better position to judge than the DEALER.Are there banner ads on her site? Is she profitting from this...or trying too ? I did not, and will not, visit her site and generate her hits. Why are you ?

i dont know what ur problem is potdragon did she cost u any money?Any one get hurt? if she profits from it then great. im gonna visit her site like 20 times now. u like that? ur post really irked me for some reason, so i think ill visit her site 30 times now, then im gonna go start a thread about how great it is on rgp and 2 + 2, hows that sound?

i dont know what ur problem is potdragon did she cost u any money?Any one get hurt? if she profits from it then great. im gonna visit her site like 20 times now. u like that? ur post really irked me for some reason, so i think ill visit her site 30 times now, then im gonna go start a thread about how great it is on rgp and 2 + 2, hows that sound?
I'm with you on this. For some reason that post just seemed overly vindictive. There didn't seem to be any reason for it that I could see.
i dont know what ur problem is potdragon
1...These players go out of their way to maintain privacy.2....Gossip mongers annoy me.3....Her opinions mean as much as the valets.4....People who expect tips make me sick.5....People who complain in public about tips is even worse.6....I have respect for the game, the players, and their wishes.You have every right to disagree.
so i think ill visit her site 30 times now, then im gonna go start a thread about how great it is on rgp and 2 + 2, hows that sound?
Sounds like you are 12. :roll:
On Christmas Daniel N. came into the room, appeared to be slightly on the tipsy side. U-m-m-m-h-h-h-h, slightly?
I guess she wasn't paying much attention to the table she was dealing at the time. :roll:

4....People who expect tips make me sick.How the heck to u think dealers make money? Its kinda like a waiter at a restraunt..They expect to get tipped and it is assumed thats how they make most of their money. I bet u cant find any dealer that doesnt expect a tip and if u dont tip then ur just a cheapskate player

ur obviously a tightass potdragon, and i think most people will agree with me. dealers deserve a tip, they earn it. i dont look down my nose at anyone, if she wants to share her experiences she has every right to. And also, when u get that stick out of ur ass u might enjoy life a litte more. maybe smoke a little pot?

Working for and expecting are two different things. That seems obvious. :roll: Just to clarify...I worked in the service industry for many years in every position from busboy to waiter to bartender to floor captain to General Manager. I owned my own Party Planning business in New York until I sold out to my partner in '02 . As an owner, I employed a staff in the average of 150...much more during season.I say all that to say that after my years of experience in the industry... I find it is always the worst waiter/waitress who complains about tips. Those providing prompt friendly service never have any problem...even if you do have an occasional cheapskate. I will not even lower myself to mention how much I give out a week in tips.

ur obviously a tightass potdragon, and i think most people will agree with me.
Some would even say....douchebag.
Forming your opinion off someones elses misrepresentation is unwise to say the least.
ur obviously a tightass potdragon, and i think most people will agree with me.
Some would even say....douchebag.
Forming your opinion off someones elses misrepresentation is unwise to say the least.
I formed my opinion off of your posts. And you are, in fact, a douchebag.
i dont know what ur problem is potdragon
1...These players go out of their way to maintain privacy.2....Gossip mongers annoy me.3....Her opinions mean as much as the valets.4....People who expect tips make me sick.5....People who complain in public about tips is even worse.6....I have respect for the game, the players, and their wishes.You have every right to disagree.
so i think ill visit her site 30 times now, then im gonna go start a thread about how great it is on rgp and 2 + 2, hows that sound?
Sounds like you are 12. :roll:
sounds like your mad at the world :roll:
sounds like your mad at the world
I make one post saying how I don't like gossip mongers and I am mad at the world ? :think: Hey...different strokes...People Magazine sells alot of copies...so I never said everyone feels this way.