Boston Marathon Bombing

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I usually think of the sick thread first, and go there first. Then I go to twitter, cnn, 4bb, and then usually back to the sick thread, which might be finished loading.

Humans are the worst.

I'm pretty sure that the response to the marathon bombing vs the response to the Texas explosion are vastly different because one was an accident, and the other was purposeful.

islamists can be used to describe a follower of Islam, or it can be used to refer to a follower of the strictly fundemental sect. Sorry, if I confused that you were refering to the latter. I can agree that a case could be made that the desire to believe in fundamental Islam or be an Islamist is not a good desire, and could be considered immoral. Same goes for fundamentalist Christians, Mormons, etc.. if we are going to refer to the parts or the specific reasons why they are immoral.

One difference is that fundamentalist Christians very rarely murder scores of innocent civilians. Fundamentalist Muslims do it weekly.

No, that's exactly my point. An atheist ideology that promoted killing innocent people would be unethical. That doesn't make all athiests unethical.

Edit- That is not to say that we can't be critical of specific policies of an ideology. Just that we should be careful when using blanket statements. I mean, don't get me wrong, I think religon is a huge problem, but simply pointing the blame at Islam is short sighted in this case. Why aren't we going bonkers on what religon the old white terrorist that blew up half of Texas is?

So the recent attempts to blame 'old white men' for the boston bombings before the facts didn't deter you one iota from doing the same thing that was an accident?

Conservative Christians:

120620-baptist-gay-rights-308pm.photoblog600.jpg

Islamists:

nikab-22.jpg

So you can tell ethical people from looks? Look, I think bagging women is unethical. I also think people that if that first group has the desire to teach creationism in schools they are unethical as well.

Another intellectual giant from the left.

We have to ask ourselves: What did we do wrong? How did American intolerance alienate the Tsarnaev Brothers? Perhaps the political climate was not welcoming enough, too conservative, ignorant, xenophobic, and right-wing. A quick search shows that Cambridge, MA was only the second most pro-Obama town in Massachusetts:

So you can tell ethical people from looks? Look, I think bagging women is unethical. I also think people that if that first group has the desire to teach creationism in schools they are unethical as well.

A bit off topic but, we already caught the islamic bomber so we might as well use this thread for something besides revealing the depth of depravity from progressivism.

• How do creationists "pose a serious threat to society"?
  • There are an estimated 1,263,186 animal species and 326,175 plant species in the world. Assuming the age of the Earth is 4.54 billion years, what is the average rate of speciation?
  • How many mutations, on average, are required per speciation?
  • What scientifically significant predictive model relies primarily upon evolution by natural selection?
  • Which of the various human sub-species is the most evolved; i.e. modified by mutation and natural selection from the most recent common human ancestor? Which is the least evolved?
  • Is the theory of evolution by natural selection strengthened or weakened by the claim that most DNA is devoid of purpose?

Teaching darwinian evolution has led to eugenics, communism and nazism.

Creationism has led to most Ivey League schools being founded.

As Tim has so eloquently put it,

You're insane

creationists_la_la_la.png

and your revisionist history leaves much to be desired.... Denying children an education and understanding of our most basics understanding of science can lead to them not be prepared for jobs, etc. It amounts to incompetence and moral negligence, the same things you are accusing Islam of when teaching misogyny and violence. Knowing the earths history, knowing our past is vitally important to our future. It's a subject all of humanity has an interest in getting right.

Try understanding evergy resource management, or nuclear waste disposal, or gene therapy if you believe in creationism. We wouldn't even have those fields of study. And denying the basic science behind them amounts to incompetence and moral negligence.

We have to ask ourselves: What did we do wrong? How did American intolerance alienate the Tsarnaev Brothers? Perhaps the political climate was not welcoming enough, too conservative, ignorant, xenophobic, and right-wing. A quick search shows that Cambridge, MA was only the second most pro-Obama town in Massachusetts:

So you won't consider that our alienation of muslims over the years contributes to their radicalism? Man, you need to upgrade your reading material. But as I said, laying the blame on ideology for what was likely a sociopathic person is missing the problem. If there is an issue perhaps it is better mental health care an effort to identify sociopaths in school.

A bit off topic but, we already caught the islamic bomber so we might as well use this thread for something besides revealing the depth of depravity from progressivism.

• How do creationists "pose a serious threat to society"?
  • There are an estimated 1,263,186 animal species and 326,175 plant species in the world. Assuming the age of the Earth is 4.54 billion years, what is the average rate of speciation?
  • How many mutations, on average, are required per speciation?
  • What scientifically significant predictive model relies primarily upon evolution by natural selection?
  • Which of the various human sub-species is the most evolved; i.e. modified by mutation and natural selection from the most recent common human ancestor? Which is the least evolved?
  • Is the theory of evolution by natural selection strengthened or weakened by the claim that most DNA is devoid of purpose?

And the purpose is???

More Toronto Islamic terrorists stopped, similar to the Toronto 18.

http://www.thestar.c...ed_sources.html

The RCMP says it has thwarted a terrorism plot to derail a VIA passenger train bound on an undisclosed route with support from Al Qaeda in Iran, police announced Monday.

As part of a co-ordinated effort between the national police force, local police in Toronto and Montreal and the FBI, two men were arrested Monday as part of “Project Smooth,” police announced at a news conference.

Raed Jaser, 35, of Toronto, and Chiheb Esseghaier, 30, of Montreal, both face terrorism-related charges for allegedly conspiring to carry out an “Al Qaeda-supported attack,” said the RCMP’s assistant commissioner, James Malizia.

“Had this plot been carried out, it would have resulted in innocent people being killed or seriously injured,” Malizia said. “Our primary focus was the safety and protection of the public.”

Police said although there was never any imminent threat, the accused had the “capacity and intent” to carry out the attack.

Malizia said “Al Qaeda elements in Iran” were providing support to the two men in the form of “direction” and “guidance.”

Esseghaier and Jaser, who are not Canadian citizens but whose nationalities police did not disclose, are charged with conspiring to interfere with transportation facilities and conspiring to murder persons unknown for the benefit of a terrorist group.

The two men did surveillance on trains and railways in the GTA, police said, adding they are still executing search warrants related to the plot, which they said was in the planning stage.

A group of prominent Toronto leaders from various Muslim communities attended a briefing at the RCMP’s Toronto division before the news conference took place.

Among them was Muhammad Robert Heft, who once ran a counselling program for troubled Muslim youth.

The two men did surveillance on trains and railways in the GTA, police said, adding they are still executing search warrants related to the plot, which they said was in the planning stage.

Also in attendance was Somali Imam Saed Rageah, who said as he entered the police division that he was unsure of the circumstances around the case.

News of the arrests comes a week after a double bombing at the Boston Marathon that killed three and injured more than 170.

The Canadian arrests are reportedly not connected to the Boston bombings, but come at a tense time.

The RCMP is actively involved in another investigation of Canadians at the forefront of a terrorist attack. High school friends from London, Ont., were reportedly among the leaders of a mid-January attack at an Algerian gas plant that killed 37 hostages.

And Mahad Ali Dhore, who grew up and studied in the GTA, is suspected of leading a suicide attack in Mogadishu, Somalia, this month.

An investigation continues and police did not say if they expect any additional arrests.

Much better to teach them that their lives are random accidents with no purpose or future. What could go wrong?

You are demeaning athiesm as promoting no purpose in life, so I have to ask, what is the purpose?

Huh? He's plainly being sarcastic.

And the purpose is???

He fell for the bait,

When there is no way to rationally win the argument for Islamic terrorists, then throw mud around and see what sticks.

More Toronto Islamic terrorists stopped, similar to the Toronto 18.

http://www.thestar.c...ed_sources.html

The RCMP says it has thwarted a terrorism plot to derail a VIA passenger train bound on an undisclosed route with support from Al Qaeda in Iran, police announced Monday.

As part of a co-ordinated effort between the national police force, local police in Toronto and Montreal and the FBI, two men were arrested Monday as part of “Project Smooth,” police announced at a news conference.

Raed Jaser, 35, of Toronto, and Chiheb Esseghaier, 30, of Montreal, both face terrorism-related charges for allegedly conspiring to carry out an “Al Qaeda-supported attack,” said the RCMP’s assistant commissioner, James Malizia.

“Had this plot been carried out, it would have resulted in innocent people being killed or seriously injured,” Malizia said. “Our primary focus was the safety and protection of the public.”

Police said although there was never any imminent threat, the accused had the “capacity and intent” to carry out the attack.

Malizia said “Al Qaeda elements in Iran” were providing support to the two men in the form of “direction” and “guidance.”

Esseghaier and Jaser, who are not Canadian citizens but whose nationalities police did not disclose, are charged with conspiring to interfere with transportation facilities and conspiring to murder persons unknown for the benefit of a terrorist group.

A group of prominent Toronto leaders from various Muslim communities attended a briefing at the RCMP’s Toronto division before the news conference took place.

Among them was Muhammad Robert Heft, who once ran a counselling program for troubled Muslim youth.

Also in attendance was Somali Imam Saed Rageah, who said as he entered the police division that he was unsure of the circumstances around the case.

News of the arrests comes a week after a double bombing at the Boston Marathon that killed three and injured more than 170.

The Canadian arrests are reportedly not connected to the Boston bombings, but come at a tense time.

The RCMP is actively involved in another investigation of Canadians at the forefront of a terrorist attack. High school friends from London, Ont., were reportedly among the leaders of a mid-January attack at an Algerian gas plant that killed 37 hostages.

And Mahad Ali Dhore, who grew up and studied in the GTA, is suspected of leading a suicide attack in Mogadishu, Somalia, this month.

An investigation continues and police did not say if they expect any additional arrests.

Guns and violence is a problem. We've had thousands of murders in the US since the Sandy bombing, almost all of them were Christians that committed the murders as well.

Look, I am saying that any ideology that promotes the desire to commit violence is immoral. But conversely, being Christian or Muslim doesn't prevent you from committing atrocities as well. Acting ethical or with good desires, simply put, is what we should promote. Anything else we have reason to punish or discourage.

He fell for the bait,

When there is no way to rationally win the argument for Islamic terrorists, then throw mud around and see what sticks.

He made an offhanded remark promoting the idea that athiesm leads people to "have no purpose in life". I simply asked what that purpose is? There is no "purpose" to life obviously. He was simply mudlsinging with typical illogical rhetoric.

You are so far off it is scary in your blindness to reality.

This is a real problem, it's sad that there is a ready supply of, you could say "useful idiots" refuse to alter their conclusions in the face of reality.

I hope that he is just playing devil advocate and is not truly brainwashed to the extent that his posts indicate.

Guns and violence is a problem. We've had thousands of murders in the US since the Sandy bombing, almost all of them were Christians that committed the murders as well.

Look, I am saying that any ideology that promotes the desire to commit violence is immoral. But conversely, being Christian or Muslim doesn't prevent you from committing atrocities as well. Acting ethical or with good desires, simply put, is what we should promote. Anything else we have reason to punish or discourage.

Some Muslim leaders have on multiple occasions declared holy war on the westerners which they actively supported an financed, it is not the only evil in the world but the existence of other evils does not excuse or diminish Islamic terrorism, so why keep using that argument?

Some Muslim leaders have on multiple occasions declared holy war on the westerners which they actively supported an financed, it is not the only evil in the world but the existence of other evils does not excuse or diminish Islamic terrorism, so why keep using that argument?

I never said it did. I was pretty explicit that anyone who promotes the desire to inflict harm on others is unethical.

I am saying that everyone automatically getting their feel good jollies that it wasn't a Christian fundie, or placing the blame on all of Islam is missing the boat and won't serve to get the point across as effectively. I can see people like BG and all the Fundies exploiting the bombing to promote their own agendas which is wrong-headed.