Best Short Term (24 Months) Savings Method?

Lets say I wanted to invest $400 - $500/month for the next 18 - 24 months to save for a European Vacation to be taken in summer of 2013. What would be the best vehicle that might provide the best return. I realize it will be fairly minimal any way I go, but if I can get an extra percent somewhere that could make a slight difference.My current savings account pretty much blows chunks:Account Type Savings Interest Rate 0.05%

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets say I wanted to invest $400 - $500/month for the next 18 - 24 months to save for a European Vacation to be taken in summer of 2013. What would be the best vehicle that might provide the best return. I realize it will be fairly minimal any way I go, but if I can get an extra percent somewhere that could make a slight difference.My current savings account pretty much blows chunks:Account Type Savings Interest Rate 0.05%
Ok, here are a few choices:1. Open a new account with American Express Online. They offer a savings account with 1.15% return, and you can set it up with an electronic transfer, so it's easy to get started.2. Buy a 24 month CD from your bank. (the interest will probably be less than 2%)3. Buy some bonds. (many bonds are virtually risk free and can get you a decent return on investment. ( For instance, these bonds are currently at 4.6% and have a minimum one year term)4. Buy into a good mutual fund. (This is the "riskiest" of the choices, but it's definitely one you should consider. If you buy into a mutual fund (like Ticker Symbol: JNSGX), you won't avoid systemic risk, but you'll be diversified. And this particular mutual fund grew 14.24% over the last 12 months.)5. Take your $500 and bet it on black. 50% chance at 100% ROI.
Ok, here are a few choices:1. Open a new account with American Express Online. They offer a savings account with 1.15% return, and you can set it up with an electronic transfer, so it's easy to get started.2. Buy a 24 month CD from your bank. (the interest will probably be less than 2%)3. Buy some bonds. (many bonds are virtually risk free and can get you a decent return on investment. ( For instance, these bonds are currently at 4.6% and have a minimum one year term)4. Buy into a good mutual fund. (This is the "riskiest" of the choices, but it's definitely one you should consider. If you buy into a mutual fund (like Ticker Symbol: JNSGX), you won't avoid systemic risk, but you'll be diversified. And this particular mutual fund grew 14.24% over the last 12 months.)5. Once a month, take your $500 and bet it on black. 50% chance at 100% ROI.
You could also bet on the Titans to win it all. I'd probably go with #1 though and maybe look into a short term CD when you together 5,000 or so if the interest rate is better.
Ok, here are a few choices:1. Open a new account with American Express Online. They offer a savings account with 1.15% return, and you can set it up with an electronic transfer, so it's easy to get started.2. Buy a 24 month CD from your bank. (the interest will probably be less than 2%)3. Buy some bonds. (many bonds are virtually risk free and can get you a decent return on investment. ( For instance, these bonds are currently at 4.6% and have a minimum one year term)4. Buy into a good mutual fund. (This is the "riskiest" of the choices, but it's definitely one you should consider. If you buy into a mutual fund (like Ticker Symbol: JNSGX), you won't avoid systemic risk, but you'll be diversified. And this particular mutual fund grew 14.24% over the last 12 months.)5. Once a month, take your $500 and bet it on black. 50% chance at 100% ROI.
Unless you are investing other funds as well, #1, 2 or 5 are the best coices. With 3 and 4 you will likely end up paying as much in fees as interest. If you are confident you will not need the money, go for #2. Or better yet, 5.
Unless you are investing other funds as well, #1, 2 or 5 are the best coices. With 3 and 4 you will likely end up paying as much in fees as interest. If you are confident you will not need the money, go for #2. Or better yet, 5.
The thing is this will be a compounding savings deal. Not like I have $10K to buy a 24 month CD up front. I will be adding $400 - $500 every month to this account for a 2 year'ish period.
The way I read the original post is that we're starting with 400-500 (the first months deposit) and will be depositing an additional 400-500 every month. Given those parameters I don't think a CD or bond is an option. Wouldn't he have to have a set total that he's looking to receive a return from to use those vehicles?--editgawdamm customer calls making me late post.--edit part deuxnumber 1 is looking like your best option. I don't know of many mutual funds that are going to let you in for under a grand and with the fees etc I just don't think it's a good short term move.

Email response from my financial adviser that handles my 401K stuff:Sounds like a great Vacation plan and I commend you for actually “planning” to make it happen! Unfortunately, we do not have anything that would maintain a stable principal for a 2-year time horizon. Your current rate is close to the best rate available ( told him about the 1.15% AMX option). I have heard of 1.30% from a bank in Columbia and maybe slightly higher from a quality credit union. However, in order to get a slightly higher rate, many banks will require you to set up checking accounts, or maybe jump through a few other hoops (as the saying goes). I would do a little research on credit unions but you probably need to stay where you are and hope that rates creep up over the next two years.Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I would also be glad to talk with you by phone.

You can easily buy into no-load mutual funds on a monthly basis and then fees won't matter.

The way I read the original post is that we're starting with 400-500 (the first months deposit) and will be depositing an additional 400-500 every month. Given those parameters I don't think a CD or bond is an option. Wouldn't he have to have a set total that he's looking to receive a return from to use those vehicles?
Yeah, I didn't really read the OP as good as I should have. I thought he was just investing $500 one time instead of monthly.

Also, bonds are still an option, you just won't be able to buy anymore once you're one year out from your trip.

Here's an idea. Every month go by 400-500 dollars worth of Euros. It'll definitely keep you from raiding the piggy bank and who knows you may even eke out a small return if you exchange some back to dollars to buy your plane tickets etc. With the leftover you can just head out.vacation.jpg

The thing is this will be a compounding savings deal. Not like I have $10K to buy a 24 month CD up front. I will be adding $400 - $500 every month to this account for a 2 year'ish period.
I read your original post wrong.
Yeah, I didn't really read the OP as good as I should have. I thought he was just investing $500 one time instead of monthly.
lolz, me too! I think he performed ninja edits.

just had my personal banks investment dude call me and is going to send over a fact sheet on some kind of absolute return fund by eaton vance. something about c class, no up front money, just basically cant touch it or withdraw without fees until 1 year has passed from your last deposit so recommended that for first year then standard high yield savings for 2nd year.said hasnt lost money in 10 years, but not designed to yield high returns either. when market was hammered in 08 it was still up 1.7% and when market rocked sometime last year and up 30% it yielded 11%.sounds like a decent option, will check out fact sheet.

I thought he was just investing $500 one time instead of monthly.
that would not even get me to vegas, let alone 10 days in Europe! :club:
just had my personal banks investment dude call me and is going to send over a fact sheet on some kind of absolute return fund by eaton vance. something about c class, no up front money, just basically cant touch it or withdraw without fees until 1 year has passed from your last deposit so recommended that for first year then standard high yield savings for 2nd year.said hasnt lost money in 10 years, but not designed to yield high returns either. when market was hammered in 08 it was still up 1.7% and when market rocked sometime last year and up 30% it yielded 11%.sounds like a decent option, will check out fact sheet.
At the very least, sounds like your banker is pretty good.
At the very least, sounds like your banker is pretty good.
good investment planner or good sales person to get me to buy into that? :club:
Pretty sure Beverly is TRASSSHED
I sure hope so...In other news, I thought Beverly was still married to Pacino but I guess not. Chevy is married though...wonder what she thinks about the Griswolds tearing up the town a continent away from home?
I sure hope so...In other news, I thought Beverly was still married to Pacino but I guess not. Chevy is married though...wonder what she thinks about the Griswolds tearing up the town a continent away from home?
Maybe they're in the army so it's not a big deal?
$10-12K seems like a lot for a 10 day vacation. Planning on living like a king over there?
maybe he's planning on bringing back a stable of eastern european hookers.
How is it that Clark and Ellen never seemed to figure out that they came home with different kids after every vacation?
This is actually a running joke in Vegas Vacation. I mean, hell, the girl in Vegas Vacation is Chinese Mexican or something.