Random News Observations

Yes, it is. It just says "Tripod is hosting this."
It works on my computer.Are you sure your disgronificator is plugged in correctly?
  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The most interesting thing about the worlds largest beaver dam is that it was discovered via Google Earth and some guy trekked out there to see it IRL and was the first person to ever set foot in that

Beware of overcharging someone. Thats the #1 lesson learned from the Zimmerman case. He was guilty of avoidable behavior that ultimately culminated in a fatality- manslaughter- but he was not guilty

You should've tried to get on the jury and convince the rest that he was not guilty.

Posted Images

I'll take a win however it comes. But the guys I'm talking about - Hannity, O'Reilly, Beck, and that ilk - are, perhaps not idiots, but huuuuuuuuge assholes with little-to-no journalistic integrity.
I totally disagree with you on the first two. I disagree with Hannity a lot, but I think he is serious and thoughtful. I think O'Reilly is also extremely smart, honest, and a master showman. He was Colbert before Colbert. Beck... well, we all know Beck. I think for him it's showtime first, reality second. He tries to get as much of the latter involved as possible, but not at the expense of entertainment value.
I remember seeing that, it also said that the Wall Street Journal is more left leaning in its news stories.(not its editiorial page) than The Times or the Post. Do you remember where you read that study. Was it on ReasonTV?
It was a long time ago, but pretty sure it wasn't on Reason. I thought it was posted here by BG.
Doesn't the president's party usually get slaughtered in mid-term elections? I'm sure that the Dems didn't lose out in 2010 largely due to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, because hardly anybody knew what it was/is and it hasn't become a big story until recently.
They usually drop, but not get slaughtered. This was record-breaking slaughter, and a large part of it was Obamacare. Even now, it is many people's top issue. People who might not get out and vote are saying "I don't care how much Romney sucks, we need to repeal that atrocity." It was unpopular when it was passed and has mostly dropped since then.
I mean, we're going in circles here and I really don't understand what you are saying at all. Who is forcing religious groups out of society? Again, the 1st amendment does not say that religion exempts one from the law. You can believe whatever the hell you want. You cannot do whatever the hell that you want just because it's part of your religion.
So does this mean you are fine with a law against gathering in building, kneeling, and reciting texts in unison, led by a man in robes who gives inspirational talks?After all, they can still be religious, just not if it means breaking the law.
Also, claiming "religious freedom" in a case like this is totally selfish and counterproductive. If you think a law is bad you should fight for everyone to be free of it -- instead of trying to get an exemption for yourself. The only effect of these exemptions is to leave bad laws in place. Peyote is a good example. If your religion thinks peyote is good, you can't rally think it is good for only you. The exemption for the NAC has served to keep a bad prohibition in place. If you think the contraception law is bad, fight the law for all of us, don't codify religious discrimination to suit your purposes. That is just obnoxious.
Uh, lots of us are fighting against these harmful and immoral laws; it's not really working because the Teeming Masses think the Government Wizard can wave a Magic Health Care Wand and give them something for nothing. But yes, your point is correct. I always heard the best way to bring down a corrupt bureaucracy is to give it its way, and I think in this case, it may be true.
Because in Utah (where bigamy is practiced), it is notoriously sleazy and rapey. Like, girls are essentially forced at age 14 to marry a 50-year-old man because they have the "permission" of their parents. Obviously that's not always the case, but it is widespread (within bigamist communities) and horrible.
Presumably rape and statutory rape would still be illegal, since those involve forcing people against their will.
It also subjugates women, pretty much as a rule. Who's ever heard of a woman having multiple husbands? No, bigamy is always the other way round.
This is such a patronizing argument, I'm surprised you would even type it. Basically, you are saying "women are too stupid to make decisions about how many spouses their husband should have, so society needs to help these poor, helpless, defenseless women from harming themselves." Why do you have such a low opinion of women?EDIT: I saw your next post about consenting adults, and it seems we basically agree, but I will leave this response anyway... for, um, historical purposes.
lololololololol. Thanks for the belly laugh.
Disagreeing with someone /= they are dishonest.Really.Having said that, I will admit I don't watch these people, none of them. I've seen all of them at one point or another, and from what I've seen of Hannity he is among the most sane -- far better than Maddow, e.g. But it is likely I see a distorted view of all of them, since I basically see the highlight reel version of each of them. I tried watching Maddow one night, though, and wanted to break my TV.
Disagreeing with someone /= they are dishonest.Really.Having said that, I will admit I don't watch these people, none of them. I've seen all of them at one point or another, and from what I've seen of Hannity he is among the most sane -- far better than Maddow, e.g. But it is likely I see a distorted view of all of them, since I basically see the highlight reel version of each of them. I tried watching Maddow one night, though, and wanted to break my TV.
Hannity drives me crazy. He is not a good representative of the conservative movement imo.O'Reilly is okay to watch, he loves his own voice though obviously.But the Dennis Miller section is the best.My wife watches some of their shows, and I usually get up and leave when Hannity is on.I've never watched Beck, but he's not on Fox anymore I think.

I must have insulted hannity's intelligence five or six times in this space. it's really sad, how he wears his lack of a college education as a realness badge or something. come to think of it, the man kind of represents everything I hate about conservatives today.guys like rush and o'reilly actually bring some wit and intelligence to the table. but what about all these clips of o'reilly yelling and being stupid on his show, you say? check out his appearances on the daily show. it's half-character, half-genuine, but there's clearly a smart man underneath it.

Hannity drives me crazy. He is not a good representative of the conservative movement imo.O'Reilly is okay to watch, he loves his own voice though obviously.But the Dennis Miller section is the best.My wife watches some of their shows, and I usually get up and leave when Hannity is on.I've never watched Beck, but he's not on Fox anymore I think.
I pretty much agree with this. Hannity is the worse. I like a lot about O'Reilly, and I find him entertaining, but I disagree with him a lot.Beck was just a lunatic.
Beck was just a lunatic.
beck was purely opportunistic re: the great recession. look no further than his radio ads: apocalypse garden seeds, goldline, etc. etc. looks like he streams his show online now. I don't know if this means his viewership was massively down, or what, but he had a really good gig scaring people there for a long time.
Hannity is awful, his double standards are amazing and he is completely dishonest and hypocritical.There is a reason Fox has ratings that dwarf MSNBC. Liberals are generally too smart to watch/enjoy partisan hackery unlike conservatives. I don't watch maddow or Schulz but the highlights I've seen are pretty awful.I have no problem with O'Reilly. He leans right of course but he is generally fair and has had some great interactions with jon Stewart.
So did David Koresh.
I am mildly sympathetic there. look, I'm not about to say it was cool to be diddling 14 year old girls and what have you, but the government couldn't have handled it worse. crazy religious lunatics who think it's the apocalypse? sure, why not blare distorted noises at their complex at all hours of the day and night.
I am mildly sympathetic there. look, I'm not about to say it was cool to be diddling 14 year old girls and what have you, but the government President Clinton and Janet Reno, Clinton's choice to run the Justice Department, couldn't have handled it worse. crazy religious lunatics who think it's the apocalypse? sure, why not blare distorted noises at their complex at all hours of the day and night.
Corrected for accuracy
Hannity is awful, his double standards are amazing and he is completely dishonest and hypocritical.There is a reason Fox has ratings that dwarf MSNBC. Liberals are generally too smart to watch/enjoy partisan hackery unlike conservatives. I don't watch maddow or Schulz but the highlights I've seen are pretty awful.I have no problem with O'Reilly. He leans right of course but he is generally fair and has had some great interactions with jon Stewart.
Here's a fun spin.It of course ignores reality, that liberals are nothing but hate spewing idiots who can't point to any ideas that they enacted and show any successes.They even tried to spend their way into their own network, and it failed miserably.Liberals are not capable of competing in the arena of ideas, therefore when they talk about their ideas, they only can attract a few rabid sheep.Conservatives on the other hand are funny, smart, and people like to hear their point of view. At least on radio and TV and any other place where they must stand on their own merits.You'll notice today that Oprah had to fir Rosie because no one is watching her show or Oprah's network. Funny how she isn't willing to write a check from her billion dollar bank account to keep the show going. When its the tax payers money, liberals love to spend it on wasteful stupid things, when its their own....they become conservatives
Presumably rape and statutory rape would still be illegal, since those involve forcing people against their will.
The problem is that girls can get married at shockingly young ages if their parents consent. So at age 15 a girl might have the choice of marrying a man 3x her age or running away from her insular community and everyone and everything she's ever known. Seriously though, you can get around statutory rape by marrying the girl. I feel like there's something wrong there.
BG, trolling you gets easier and easier.
That's because it comes natural to the left.People on the right have to overcome our natural tendencies to be nice