Random News Observations

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The most interesting thing about the worlds largest beaver dam is that it was discovered via Google Earth and some guy trekked out there to see it IRL and was the first person to ever set foot in that

Beware of overcharging someone. Thats the #1 lesson learned from the Zimmerman case. He was guilty of avoidable behavior that ultimately culminated in a fatality- manslaughter- but he was not guilty

You should've tried to get on the jury and convince the rest that he was not guilty.

Posted Images

Really nice article describing the corruption in congress. It's written by one of the better thinkers of our time, imohttp://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405...share_tweet_bot
Is that like a 'really nice article about how water is wet?Cause it really achieves the same thing in my book.But I am glad you are keeping with the left's required way of thinking: Destroy the messenger, ignore the message.Unless of course you are not trying to ignore the message, I am just defending the poor woman because you lefties are so full of hate for her.Did I call you a lefty yet? Cause if not, LEFTY

Gas taxes to fund infrastructure maintenance actually make sense. One argument I've never accepted, though, is that if a particular nation has low taxes in one regard relative to other nations, that by itself is an adequate reason to raise them. It's a pathetic, meritless argument. If you want to raise taxes, articulate a position why you need to generate this revenue to pay for something needed.The argument of "Yeah, well, our taxes are low relative to what Europe pays, so we're going to raise them to pay for (insert good intention here) because, ya know... They pay TWICE that in Germany!" is always stupid. That essentially engages every nation in a taxation race which makes sense to politicians, but is pretty awful overall.

Good article, I think the important point they missed though: the myth that gas taxes are used for road building. With each year, more and more has gone to politically motivated mass transit boondoggles. Basically, at this point, if you drive, you are subsidizing empty train cars.
Good article, I think the important point they missed though: the myth that gas taxes are used for road building. With each year, more and more has gone to politically motivated mass transit boondoggles. Basically, at this point, if you drive, you are subsidizing empty train cars.
This was the sad thing about the ARC project being shut down or delayed. It's one if the few mass transit systems that gets incredibly heavy use.We collect so little in gas taxes though that I'm sure if we collected more we could find a way to use some to fix bridges and roads.Scram, I agree that argument is of little use but since she presented plenty of actual arguments I didnt care. Also, she drew a parallel between other countries having higher tax rates and also having better infrastructure projections.

are gas taxes regressive? I searched the article for the term and it landed in the comments, so I just closed the tab. my gut is yes, they are regressive, so why's the left pushing for it?

are gas taxes regressive? I searched the article for the term and it landed in the comments, so I just closed the tab. my gut is yes, they are regressive, so why's the left pushing for it?
A lot of the left likes gas taxes for environmental reasons. Tax gas and less oil will be needed or pollution produced.All sales or excise taxes are regressive.Some people on the left like gas taxes since they see them as being a fair tax. By taxing gas you're charging those who use the roads and infrastructure for them which is fairer than just paying for everything out of general tax revenues.
In Case You Were Wondering Why We Keep Bailing Out Wall Street...
Not that there was any mystery about why the government keeps shafting Main Street and bailing out Wall Street, but in case you had any doubts, this chart excerpt below from XKCD should put them to rest. More than anyone else, Wall Street has the power to hire and fire our elected officials. So it's no wonder that those officials take care of Wall Street first. (The Wall Street money, by the way, goes to both sides of the aisle. And that's to be expected. If you're a bank, there's no sense in picking a side when you can just own both teams.)Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/in-case-you...1#ixzz1edsFOuPz
I1ITbPgysRisVI6bpi8L.png
All sales or excise taxes are regressive.
I don't see how this is the case. If there's a 5% yacht sales tax, how is this regressive? The poor pay nothing and the fabulously rich pay a tax proportional to their dollar consumption of yachts. Maybe I don't understand how you're using the word.
I don't see how this is the case. If there's a 5% yacht sales tax, how is this regressive? The poor pay nothing and the fabulously rich pay a tax proportional to their dollar consumption of yachts. Maybe I don't understand how you're using the word.
I guess I should have qualified it by saying general sales or consumption taxes are regressive.
Umm, did they just use unverified material from a comedy blog for their research?
he posted a link to his sources for it on xkcd.saw that comic whenever it was released, spent precisely no time examining it. infographics are, by and large, fucking terrible. sometimes the creator doesn't even intend to mislead you, but they still fuck it up, because it takes a lot of thought and effort to get it right. this turd from a few days ago exhibits exactly what I'm talking about.
he posted a link to his sources for it on xkcd.saw that comic whenever it was released, spent precisely no time examining it. infographics are, by and large, fucking terrible. sometimes the creator doesn't even intend to mislead you, but they still fuck it up, because it takes a lot of thought and effort to get it right. this turd from a few days ago exhibits exactly what I'm talking about.
Another strong nonsensical pie graph:smoking.jpg

guess the Democrats finally found enough women to pretend Herman Cain sexually harassed them to force him out of the race. They obviously feared his grasp of foreign policy issues and ability to say the number 9.http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/herman-...-165214461.html

guess the Democrats finally found enough women to pretend Herman Cain sexually harassed them to force him out of the race. They obviously feared his grasp of foreign policy issues and ability to say the number 9.http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/herman-...-165214461.html
It was inevitable- Cain is a complete joke. I stand by my theory that the Republicans don't actually want to win this election. Does anyone else find it funny that many tea partiers refuse to vote for Romney because he isn't "christian" enough, but instead support Gingrich, who is about as unchristian as you could possibly get?
It was inevitable- Cain is a complete joke. I stand by my theory that the Republicans don't actually want to win this election. Does anyone else find it funny that many tea partiers refuse to vote for Romney because he isn't "christian" enough, but instead support Gingrich, who is about as unchristian as you could possibly get?
i don't know that the Christain part of it that big of a deal, I know i am not a big fan of romney's history. the heathcare is a deal breaker.
i don't know that the Christain part of it that big of a deal, I know i am not a big fan of romney's history. the heathcare is a deal breaker.
Yeah creating the most popular, well run state healthcare system was terrible of mitt. Conservatives: where wild success is a deal breaker. It's the same reason why conservatives hate Barack's foreign policy.
You have never met, talked to, or read anything written by anyone in the Tea Party have you?
Yeah creating the most popular, well run state healthcare system was terrible of mitt. Conservatives: where wild success is a deal breaker. It's the same reason why conservatives hate Barack's foreign policy.
Its so popular that everyone wants to move to Mass...oh wait...and President Obama's foreign policy? What exactly is it? I mean besides "Do what Bush did", what other foreign policy does President Obama have? Please enlighten us, cause we can't see anyone other actions done independently off shores other than taking vacations