The Official Lethbridge Golden Seals Thread!

Trade Anouncement:

Press release. Coaldale, Alberta. August 16th, 2014. 12:23 PM local time

The Lethbridge Golden Seals have acquired Jamie Benn (signed through 2017-2018 at $0.75 per season), and Derek Stepan (Signed through 2017-2018 at $1/$1.25/$1.50/$1.75) from the Lost Cause in exchange for: Brent Burns (Signed through 2018/2019 at $5 per season), Jake Muzzin (Signed thorugh 2017-2018 at $.25 per season), and Joe Pavelski (Signed for 2014-2015 at $9.25, UFA at seasons end), plus $9.75 in 2014-2015 cap, and $5 in 2015-2016 cap.

More details to follow.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

wow, you threw my own life motto right back at my face. well done.

News Release: February 7th, 2013   The Lethbridge Golden Seals have anounced 2 major trades in the last week.   Golden Seals acquire F Vincent Lecavalier from the Douchegators in exchange for Ales

I don't always reply to a post without quoting it, but when I do, I prefer it to be the first post on a new page.     /leastinterestingmanintheworld

• 1 month later...

Golden Seals Acquire:

Brad Richards $3.25 RFA

Kyle Brodziak $.25 $.25

Jason Demers $1 UFA

Arizona Goaltending $0.75 RFA

Anthony Mantha $2 (Farm)

Tulane flyers 2015 2nd round pick

Tulane Flyers 2017 2nd round pick

from the Tulane FLyers, in exchange for:

Wayne SImmonds $0.50 UFA

Niklas Kronwall $6.25 UFA

Ryan Clowe $1.75 $1.75

Boston Goaltending $4.25 UFA

Does UFA mean you cant sign that guy, and he is back into the auction?

If thats the case you made a great trade..

If you traded Wayne Simmonds at .50, with the AHL rules..The trade is really really bad for you.

UFA means he goes back into the auction at the end of the year. RFA means he can be resigned at the end of the year.

No, if I had Simmonds at $0.50 and RFA, I would not be trading him.

With that said, for a cap floor team like myself, Simmonds at $0.50 is a nice asset, as I can easily trade him without worrying about cap considerations.

No offence and I dont want to make this an AHL vs FCHL thing..But that UFA , RFA rule is really bad...IMO

I dont understand the whole process, and I would be in favour of players all being RFAs, up to a certain point..ie two contracts, 6 years of service...Much like the NHL model..

But how is a .50 Simmonds a UFA.?? Can you give us a history of his status, like his draft , when he was called up etc..Im curious

Simmonds is an elite fantasy player, that is coming into the prime of his career..

Again not a knock, just want to understand how it works..

this was the last year of a 5 year contract at $0.50. I inherited him, so I'm not sure if he was drafted in the farm draft, or picked up at the auction. Whichever year was his first year (2009?), he obviously did not make a tier, so was signable for up to 5 years at no raise. In the FCHL, you only have 1 chance to sign a guy, and it is for a maximum of 5 years after his first year on your team.

My guess is he was drafted in the 4th or 5th round in 2007, which carries a $0.50 starting salary. Nell gambled and called him up in 2009-2010. he had 40 points that year, missed out on a tier, and was signed for 5 years at no raise.

Ya, I was going to guess something like that too. Essentially someone could have had him on their farm for years, and then signed him for $.50 for 5years.

If you ask me, that much more resembles the NHL (if that kind of thing matters to you) than the AHL way. AHL way, people get to keep resigning Getzlaf for $3 for 5yrs at a time at age 28.

The fact that Simmons is a UFA about 7-10yrs after being drafted is the right way if you ask me.

• Like 1

Interesting...5 years at .50 is a bargain in the FCHL as well I am assuming

I can see the merits of the RFA and UFA distinction..But its different.

Ya, I was going to guess something like that too. Essentially someone could have had him on their farm for years, and then signed him for $.50 for 5years.

If you ask me, that much more resembles the NHL (if that kind of thing matters to you) than the AHL way. AHL way, people get to keep resigning Getzlaf for $3 for 5yrs at a time at age 28.

The fact that Simmons is a UFA about 7-10yrs after being drafted is the right way if you ask me.

Ya I understand the argument.

I am assuming though this sort of thing isnt normal..You dont see too many 30 goal scoring 26 year olds for .50?

5 years at 0.50 is definitely a bargain, but it's not like he was a "superstar", or even "above average" for all of those years.

On my championship team in 2011, he was maybe my 9th or 10th best forward. Only last year, in the 4th year of his 5 year deal, did he become a guaranteed top 5 starter in my lineups.

No offence and I dont want to make this an AHL vs FCHL thing..But that UFA , RFA rule is really bad...IMO

I dont understand the whole process, and I would be in favour of players all being RFAs, up to a certain point..ie two contracts, 6 years of service...Much like the NHL model..

But how is a .50 Simmonds a UFA.?? Can you give us a history of his status, like his draft , when he was called up etc..Im curious

Simmonds is an elite fantasy player, that is coming into the prime of his career..

Again not a knock, just want to understand how it works..

Yeah, you don't know the details and it's clearly not objectively "very bad".

You get up to 6 seasons of any one player.

The first year, whether it's someone you called up from the farm, or a player you won in the auction, is their RFA year. After that, you can sign for up to 5 years.

It makes decisions different, of course, but it's not "very bad".

You're still controlling 6 years (consider them his NHL RFA years), and after that, you can keep the player, but you're bidding against other teams, like the real NHL (even if you re-sign a UFA before July 1st, you still need a competitive offer vs what he could get on the market).

IMO it works well. There are pluses and minuses just like with the AHL system. I don't think either are better, to be honest.

Ya I understand the argument.

I am assuming though this sort of thing isnt normal..You dont see too many 30 goal scoring 26 year olds for .50?

It's rare, but forcing him to be a UFA balances this out, whereas in the AHL, the owner would get 3 more cheap years.

It's rare, but forcing him to be a UFA balances this out, whereas in the AHL, the owner would get 3 more cheap years.

There is no scenario where a player in the AHL would be worth .50 in the 5th year of a contract.

There is no scenario where a player in the AHL would be worth .50 in the 5th year of a contract.

It used to be possible...But not anymore

isnt that still possible? Aren't there contracts you can sign with no raise?

It's possible, but tough.

It's a different structure though. This guy had the foresight to sign him 5 years ago. There's a gamble in there too.

I signed David booth for 5 years after his 30 goal season and how do you think that worked for me. Lol. AHL is interesting since you can re-sign more than once. Totally different dynamic. I like both.