A H L Discussion

Serge has a 1.0 pt lead, and his OT player (Brandon Prust, naturally) has 3 pts... sweating it out! Need to fade Daley and Roy basically.

I'm going to lose despite having 5 of my forwards put up points, including 3 goals!

Opening up a 6-point lead in the race for last would be nice!

Im so tilted..I won like 3 in a row..

I win because of Brandon Prust..A player that I hate, on a team that I despise.

FML

• Replies 20.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FCP Bob

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• serge

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and sorry about not having everything up to date yet contract wise. I'll be working on that the next couple days and will have it all done hopefully before the weekend but if not over the weekend for

Unlike other predictions, these are meant to insult and offend both finalists.   #1 Eddie Shack Conference vs #1 Tiger Williams Conference   Steelheads (56-25-1) +/- 167 vs Big M (52-25-5) +/-

AHL GM's European Summit 2015 was a blast! Whalers really embraced the culture....     As per tradition of trades whenever owners cross paths... Whalers and Swackers have agreed to swap .25 both

Posted Images

Yeah, he's pissing me off in the fchl too. Lol

He is like best friends with my neighbours son..They grew up playing together in London..

Apparently he wanted to come to the Leafs but Montreal made a better offer. There is a chance Ill see him in the off season and give him a piece of my mind.

Is this where we meet for the I hate Brandon Prust club?

I released him this week from my roster, cause I had to call up Malkin from injury reserve. (was using Prust for pims, and some pts)

So naturally, in his first game off my team, he had 3pts. Malkin had 0.

Duh, should have just released Malkin obv.

Is this where we meet for the I hate Brandon Prust club?

I released him this week from my roster, cause I had to call up Malkin from injury reserve. (was using Prust for pims, and some pts)

So naturally, in his first game off my team, he had 3pts. Malkin had 0.

Duh, should have just released Malkin obv.

I think Brandon Prust is solely responsible for the success of the Canadiens..And it has nothing to do with his offense..

Matt Moulson and Sidney Crosby have the same number of points.

I don't know what the hell you're talking about, but I am floored that Moulson became and NHL player, let alone a constant 30-goal guy. I wrote him off ages ago. Good for him.

I don't know what the hell you're talking about, but I am floored that Moulson became and NHL player, let alone a constant 30-goal guy. I wrote him off ages ago. Good for him.

I think he means AHL points

I think he means AHL points

Yeah, I did, hence the placement of my post in the "AHL Discussion" thread.

They both have 18 points.

This is the one thing I think is really flawed with the AHL and that's basing contracts on the smallest sample sizes you could come up with.

You're talking about AHL points scored in AHL games on AHL game nights.

Meaningless, statistically.

This is the one thing I think is really flawed with the AHL and that's basing contracts on the smallest sample sizes you could come up with.

nope

you base the increase in salary on the production you got out of that player during the AHL season. If we wanted to base things on NHL production then we would be using the NHL salaries.

What they do when they aren't being used doesn't matter to the AHL.

I hate the Steelheads.

In fact, I downright despise the Steelheads, Underdogs and now the Cheap Thieves.

How Daniel has managed after 32games to be behind both the Steelheads+Underdogs, is beyond me. WTF?!?!?

(yes, I own both Steelheads+UDogs picks)

nope

you base the increase in salary on the production you got out of that player during the AHL season. If we wanted to base things on NHL production then we would be using the NHL salaries.

I dont know why it doesnt matter, since it gives a much more accurate depiction of the players ability.

I agree with Zach, and I hate that people manipulate it.

So using Crosby's NHL totals even though he's only been available for 18 AHL games thus far would be meaningful?

I dont know why it doesnt matter, since it gives a much more accurate depiction of the players ability.

Because a players salary isn't based on their ability it's based on their production in the AHL.

Sometimes it hurts teams and sometimes it helps.

I guess the poker player in me likes that there is more randomness. Pure skill games are really boring.

Manipulation = team management

So using Crosby's NHL totals even though he's only been available for 18 AHL games thus far would be meaningful?

So Anaheim players should be signed for less, because they usually play less AHL games, and Carolina players should be payed more, since they play more games, is that it?

And if they get traded, its just good luck then?

Pure skill games are really boring.

How about we just each get a random computer to draft our teams for us?

Or forget hockey, lets just bet on coin flips.

Randomness makes me think why bother.

nope

yeah, that's what i said, you're using the smallest possible sample size based on complete randomness.

I get what you're saying, I just think it's flawed.

A more fair way would be to base it on their expected performance in a random game (based on a more reasonable sample size ie 82 games vs 30? 40? AHL games), not the actual results in a tiny, statistically insignificant sample size.

No, that's completely incorrect.

We're basing it on pool points PER GAME when in the lineup. How does that account for fewer AHL games for certain teams?

And regardless, one season where the Pens play 30 doesn't mean they'll only play 30 AHL games the next season.

How about we just each get a random computer to draft our teams for us?

Or forget hockey, lets just bet on coin flips.

Randomness makes me think why bother.

Games without elements of randomness are horrible.

The beauty of the AHL in my opinion is that the format has a lot of short term luck involved which makes things a lot more interesting. It's a lot like poker in that in the long run skill is the most important thing in building a successful team but in the short term anything can happen.

I guess there are 2 points in determining the salary.

Point 1 is whether AHL games or NHL games should be used

Point 2 is how few games to use as the minimum for ranking.

One reason to use AHL games played is in cases where a player is injured so that a team doesn't get the value out of that player in the current season and they maybe come back and play later in the year when we aren't playing games.

Also average points per game is better than total points for the reason that Zach says that it is a better representation of the player ability. We have to set some arbitrary minimum number to get ranked and 10 it is.

Also average points per game is better than total points for the reason that Zach says that it is a better representation of the player ability. We have to set some arbitrary minimum number to get ranked and 10 it is.

I agree with that, but would rather use NHL games, not AHL games. Sure we play 75ish games in a regular year, but there are about 180 days in a regular NHL season, NHL teams play on fewer than half of those, so in general, the average MAX number of games an AHL player could play in a regular season is about 35-40. Whereas we could double the sample size using a player's full NHL season. You'd then need to set a minimum like 25 NHL games played or something along those lines. This doesn't allow for "team management", as Dale put it, however. I tend to think that's a bizarre concept anyways, as more often than not it leads people to playing sub-optimal lineups because they want to get a certain guy in for a game, or don't want to mess with someone's PPG, etc.

In another pool, we use total points which obviously doesn't use the average, but it does give a lower ranking to players who were injured, which I think is ok. You get hurt by not having them in your lineup, but you can sign them cheaper if it's a contract year, to balance it out. It doesn't take into account any sort of differences between teams game night days, and I'm fine with that. That gets sorted out in the auction, for people who pay attention to that kind of thing, and in the decision whether or not to re-sign the player.