It's definition time!Budget Deficit: the shortfall between what the government spends during a single year compared with what it brings in during a single year. National Debt: the accumulation of all the Budget Deficits for every year since the United States has been in existence.During the last 50 years, thre have been seven years in which the US had either a balanced budget or a budget surplus. They are:1956 -- Eisenhower1957 -- Eisenhower1969 -- LBJ1998 -- Clinton1999 -- Clinton2000 -- Clinton2001 -- ClintonThe national debt can continue to climb during a period of balanced budgets because we only pay service on the debt rather than paying down the debt itself. Interest on the debt continues to be added to the sum total of the debt.Sigh, I guess nobody else here loves early modern playwrights quite like I do.<exits glumly, pursued by a trudging bear>

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<exits glumly, pursued by a trudging bear>
SOUNDS LIKE ANOTHER VICTORY FOR BALLOON GUY! Well done, Buddy!

I just want to go back to the time when we recognized the inherent problem with big government spending+small government taxation. clinton is high up on my list for that reason alone.

The national debt can continue to climb during a period of balanced budgets because we only pay service on the debt rather than paying down the debt itself. Interest on the debt continues to be added to the sum total of the debt.
Has there ever been a time where we haven't had national debt?Let me phrase that in another way. Our country is always in debt. Pretty much every country is always in debt. And yet we've survived being hundreds and thousands of billions of dollars in debt. So, maybe people shouldn't look at our raw level of debt as an indication of how well this country is doing financially.
I just want to go back to the time when we recognized the inherent problem with big government spending+small government taxation. clinton is high up on my list for that reason alone.
Moron. Taxes are evil. Reagan taught us that.
Let me phrase that in another way. Our country is always in debt. Pretty much every country is always in debt. And yet we've survived being hundreds and thousands of billions of dollars in debt. So, maybe people shouldn't look at our raw level of debt as an indication of how well this country is doing financially.
I agree. We should look at it as a percentage of GDP.
1998 -- Clinton1999 -- Clinton2000 -- Clinton2001 -- Clinton
For the record, monetary policy during this time period- which can certain create the illusion of 'prosperity- was the absolute groundwork for the mess we're in now. Remember when Greenspan was a hero? Remember when Candidate McCain 1.0 said that not only would he keep Greenspan at the fed, but if he died, he'd prop him up like in Weekend At Bernies? Remember all that?Well, no one thinks that about Greenspan anymore and those years, right there- 1998, 1999, 2000- were the absolute catalyst for the economic curb-kisser we took in 08 (and we're for damn sure still in the middle of, irrespective of whatever 'green chutes' are now sprouting atop the 100' high pile of shit-stinking economic manure dumped there by years of fiscal disingenuity- that we're desperately trying to hold our noses pretend doesn't exist) I ****ing hate this whole idea that Clinton was somehow the architect of prosperity. He wasn't. He was absolutely not. No.Those years were like the college kids dorm room the day after he just got done maxing all his credit cards... Pizzas, parties, beer, games... Now, the collection agents are calling and the movers from the store are knocking on the door to repo the furniture.Republicans and Democrats alike are equally guilty, in different ways.Democrats make the effort to put in the right people, but they always fail miserably since everything they do is tempered by this delusional idealism that is as fictitious as the Republicans god.
talking about someone who isn't on our roster...yet
She was the Republican nominee for Vice-President 2 years ago. The only reason she isn't "on the roster" is because her team got eliminated in a fair match. She was a joke of a nominee, and the continued support for her is strange and embarrassing. palin-russia-idiot.jpg

Also, I'm not sure this has been pointed out often enough:going_rogue_american_life.jpgMain Entry: 1 rogue Pronunciation: \ˈrōg\Function: nounEtymology: origin unknownDate: 15611 : vagrant, tramp2 : a dishonest or worthless person : scoundrel3 : a mischievous person : scamp4 : a horse inclined to shirk or misbehave5 : an individual exhibiting a chance and usually inferior biological variationMain Entry: 2 rogueFunction: intransitive verbInflected Form(s): rogued; rogu·ing or rogue·ingDate: 1766: to weed out inferior, diseased, or nontypical individuals from a crop plant or a fieldMain Entry: 3 rogueFunction: adjectiveDate: 18721 : resembling or suggesting a rogue elephant especially in being isolated, aberrant, dangerous, or uncontrollable 2 : corrupt, dishonest <rogue cops>3 : of or being a nation whose leaders defy international law or norms of international behavior <rogue states>That's the full definition - that's it. Other dictionaries have very similar definitions.

Hope:

# a specific instance of feeling hopeful; "it revived their hope of winning the pennant"# the general feeling that some desire will be fulfilled; "in spite of his troubles he never gave up hope"# promise: grounds for feeling hopeful about the future; "there is little or no promise that he will recover"# expect and wish; "I trust you will behave better from now on"; "I hope she understands that she cannot expect a raise"# someone (or something) on which expectations are centered; "he was their best hope for a victory"# be optimistic; be full of hope; have hopes; "I am still hoping that all will turn out well"# United States comedian (born in England) who appeared in films with Bing Crosby (1903-2003)# intend with some possibility of fulfilment; "I hope to have finished this work by tomorrow evening"# one of the three Christian virtues
Change:
# cause to change; make different; cause a transformation; "The advent of the automobile may have altered the growth pattern of the city"; "The discussion has changed my thinking about the issue"# an event that occurs when something passes from one state or phase to another; "the change was intended to increase sales"; "this storm is certainly a change for the worse"; "the neighborhood had undergone few modifications since his last visit years ago"# undergo a change; become different in essence; losing one's or its original nature; "She changed completely as she grew older"; "The weather changed last night"# a relational difference between states; especially between states before and after some event; "he attributed the change to their marriage"# become different in some particular way, without permanently losing one's or its former characteristics or essence; "her mood changes in accordance with the weather"; "The supermarket's selection of vegetables varies according to the season"# the action of changing something; "the change of government had no impact on the economy"; "his change on abortion cost him the election"# switch: lay aside, abandon, or leave for another; "switch to a different brand of beer"; "She switched psychiatrists"; "The car changed lanes"# the result of alteration or modification; "there were marked changes in the lining of the lungs"; "there had been no change in the mountains"# change clothes; put on different clothes; "Change before you go to the opera"# the balance of money received when the amount you tender is greater than the amount due; "I paid with a twenty and pocketed the change"# exchange or replace with another, usually of the same kind or category; "Could you convert my dollars into pounds?"; "He changed his name"; "convert centimeters into inches"; "convert holdings into shares"# a thing that is different; "he inspected several changes before selecting one"# exchange: give to, and receive from, one another; "Would you change places with me?"; "We have been exchanging letters for a year"# a different or fresh set of clothes; "she brought a change in her overnight bag"# transfer: change from one vehicle or transportation line to another; "She changed in Chicago on her way to the East coast"
Looks like both candidates were a little loose with their definitions.

Well that's changing the topic. My point was that the whole idea of making herself out to be "rogue" implies a failure to understand what the word rogue means. It has nothing to do with whether or not she lived up to her roguish promises.

Well that's changing the topic. My point was that the whole idea of making herself out to be "rogue" implies a failure to understand what the word rogue means. It has nothing to do with whether or not she lived up to her roguish promises.
Dude she got rogue from McCain who was trying to lock up the independent vote by running as a republican who wasn't really a republican.You are trying to make something a big deal that isn't there.
why not?https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/th...r/2186rank.html china's one of the world's biggest creditors. why are they carrying debt?
Well at least the amount they are owed must be greater than the amount they owe, right? "In debt" to me doesn't just mean you are carrying unpaid debts. My understanding is that we owe more than we are owed. I don't see how that could be true of everyone.edit: I guess it's just that the public debt is owed to private creditors? I'm confused. Seems to me someone must be in the positive, or nothing makes sense.
According to all the posts surrounding SB's book, the publisher is in complete control of book titles. You can make suggestions, but that's it. You are probably assigning blame to the wrong person.
edit: I guess it's just that the public debt is owed to private creditors? I'm confused. Seems to me someone must be in the positive, or nothing makes sense.
I'm not an expert but, for example, if every country had exactly $0 debt and then I went out and bought $1 worth of 10 year treasury bills from every country, then every country would be in debt (to me). I guess that's the simplest possible example.Actually, I like that idea. I'm going to buy a T-bill from every country and then go around the world asking for the favor to be returned, like a bad friend or Mafia boss. "Hey, Poland, you guys owe me $10. Now, I'm going to let it slide for now, but I DO need a place to crash tonight, so..."
Well at least the amount they are owed must be greater than the amount they owe, right? "In debt" to me doesn't just mean you are carrying unpaid debts. My understanding is that we owe more than we are owed. I don't see how that could be true of everyone.edit: I guess it's just that the public debt is owed to private creditors? I'm confused. Seems to me someone must be in the positive, or nothing makes sense.
yep. private investment is why every world government is able to be in debt simultaneously. this episode of this american life touches on the subject a little. tl;dl: pension funds have to find low risk places to park excess capital, sometimes they buy lolbad things.as for why governments feel compelled to be in debt at all times, some of it can be explained by the fact that economic cycles and big projects (wars, etc.) tend to be 'lumpy', while tax rates must stay relatively stable. some of it might also simply be currency manipulation. china keeps the yuan pegged to the dollar by buying or selling yuan-denominated bonds. the yuan would definitely be weaker if not for this policy, which means they're borrowing their own currency from the rest of the world to maintain the peg. this could explain some of the debt they're carrying.I'm sure there are lots of other reasons for why this happens, but I skipped everything but the exam days in macro econ.

The trick is to owe everyone lots of money, but use that money to build your military to the point you don't have to pay anyone back.Any left over money can go towards helping big business.

According to all the posts surrounding SB's book, the publisher is in complete control of book titles. You can make suggestions, but that's it. You are probably assigning blame to the wrong person.
That was specific to SB. Often-times the author has final say on everything, including the title. I think it depends on the type of book and also on the acclaim of the author. As in, if Stephen King wanted to call his next book "Pooping For Answers," his publisher would let him, because otherwise he'd just go to another publisher who would jump at the chance to publish anything with Stephen King's name even near it. Wikipedia:
Palin said she took the title from the phrase 'gone rogue' used by McCain staffers to describe her behavior when she spoke her mind on the issues during the campaign
Just sayin...
That was specific to SB. Often-times the author has final say on everything, including the title. I think it depends on the type of book and also on the acclaim of the author. As in, if Stephen King wanted to call his next book "Pooping For Answers," his publisher would let him, because otherwise he'd just go to another publisher who would jump at the chance to publish anything with Stephen King's name even near it. Wikipedia:Just sayin...
I spent a legitimate 50 seconds laughing at this before I could stop. And it's true!
I spent a legitimate 50 seconds laughing at this before I could stop. And it's true!
Maybe you should smoke so much pot... 'for your back'.

My original book title mentioned a corporate name. That was why the publisher nixed it. Palin, like King, could certainly pick her own title. But thanks, Tim, now I have a title for my second book!Our national debt, by the way, goes back to the beginning of the country. I believe Jefferson inherited an $18,000 debt from Adams.As for ShakesPalin, I realized the appeal really is solely for Shakespeare nerds. We just love opportunities to quote Shakespeare ... we're like Monty Python nerds crossed with Ren Fair nerds.I saved this lolcat mainly because it references a line from Marlowe (a line most people know, but probably don't know the source of): "Is this the face that launched a thousand ships / and burnt the topless towers of Ilium?" --Faustusfunny-pictures-cat-is-this-the-face.jpg

For extra credit (my grad school job as TA is getting to me!): what is "Ilium" in the above line?

For extra credit (my grad school job as TA is getting to me!): what is "Ilium" in the above line?
What kind of fools do you take us for to not know Ilium? Give us a little more credit then that.