Degenerate Gambling

I am not a HD slut as some of my friends are...

I am one of your slutty friends. :)

I really cant watch sports without HD, unless I am really dying to watch that game. And thats pretty rare for me to care THAT much.

The only things have been Armenia soccer games.

I also pay for the sports package on Rogers, so Im pretty spoiled with the major sports, ie football, baseball, hockey. The package is even showing the Leafs/Pens/Sens/Habs rookie tourney games in HD, pretty nice.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not clutch.

Glad you won! I'll probably be scalin back the volume for the playoffs, since I never feel too confident on short slates, but we'll see how I feel about my lineup once the weekend rolls around.   Af

At the Pens practice facility and Rick Tochett ends up standing next to me. It took every ounce of self control to not engage him in a conversation about the Rick Tochett Experience.

Posted Images

Are any of the sites doing "drafts", instead of cap system?

Not season long competitions, just daily drafts, for any of the sports?

I havent seen it.

BTW the most fun sport so far I have experienced is GOLF..Best sport to sweat..

Football will be first for me today..Assuming football will be number one.

I have an Android box. There's no need for cable anymore. I expect internet fees will go through the roof in the near future to make up for the lost revenue from people switching over. And we already get screwed in Canada on internet costs.

I have an Android box. There's no need for cable anymore. I expect internet fees will go through the roof in the near future to make up for the lost revenue from people switching over. And we already get screwed in Canada on internet costs.

Me too. However live tv sucks

On the streaming boxes, lots of good android alternatives to Apple TV now. If you don't want to jailbreak your tablet or computer, go to VShare and download the VShare app. It's like the App Store but not controlled by apple. Then search on VShare for Movie Box and download that. Bam. Two minutes and you can watch anything.

I've been doing a lot of writing ( and research!) on DFS for All In. Pretty crazy. I'm of the belief that draft kings right now is like online poker was in 2005. Tons of fish and a few sharps mopping up. If you're playing DFS and just picking players, you're a sucker and almost inevitably a loser. At the very least you need to subscribe to something like Fantasy Cruncher that will do some of the computer legwork that all of the good players do. The things I've learned about DFS are crazy. But I'll say this: I played some DFS hockey last year and thought I'd be good with some basic hockey knowledge. Wrong. Guys who don't know Stamkos from Springsteen will crush you. They have programs doing research that is insane. One of the best DFS baseball guys has a proprietary program that is so in depth that it factors in umps who call more high or low pitches and compares them to hitters who are high or lowball hitters. He has 109 factors in his algorithm. Tough to beat.

Two interesting facts:

- draft kings has the highest advertising spend in the U.S. In the past two weeks. More than coke or McDonald's or Ford.

- the total handle bet on draft kings for week one of the nfl was more than all the Vegas books put together.

Oh, and DFS didn't get approval in Canada. It's running now but sites will be pulling out. Stars new site just opened but they are shutting down in Canada by Jan 1

I've been doing a lot of writing ( and research!) on DFS for All In. Pretty crazy. I'm of the belief that draft kings right now is like online poker was in 2005. Tons of fish and a few sharps mopping up. If you're playing DFS and just picking players, you're a sucker and almost inevitably a loser. At the very least you need to subscribe to something like Fantasy Cruncher that will do some of the computer legwork that all of the good players do. The things I've learned about DFS are crazy. But I'll say this: I played some DFS hockey last year and thought I'd be good with some basic hockey knowledge. Wrong. Guys who don't know Stamkos from Springsteen will crush you. They have programs doing research that is insane. One of the best DFS baseball guys has a proprietary program that is so in depth that it factors in umps who call more high or low pitches and compares them to hitters who are high or lowball hitters. He has 109 factors in his algorithm. Tough to beat.

Two interesting facts:

- draft kings has the highest advertising spend in the U.S. In the past two weeks. More than coke or McDonald's or Ford.

- the total handle bet on draft kings for week one of the nfl was more than all the Vegas books put together.

Oh, and DFS didn't get approval in Canada. It's running now but sites will be pulling out. Stars new site just opened but they are shutting down in Canada by Jan 1

I tend to agree, except that the nature of DFS is more like tournament poker than ring-game poker, with only people consistently finishing high making any actual gains and an enormous group of fish being a small to big loser. Of course, that precludes that sports are far less random than cards, which makes it even easier for the sharps.

Just finished an article, which I'm sorry I can't find at the moment, that indicated the top DFS players complete an average of hundreds of entries per day. I saw another article that implied 90% of winning money went to 10% of players, though that may be misleading. Based on the current size of the site-specific market, and how just about every aspect of DFS favours high-limit, model-driven play, I'd imagine that the proportion of long-term winners on those sites is incredibly small, and the proportion of people who win with any kind of significant rate is a fraction of a per cent.

As always, I'm of the opinion that adults should be able to do consentually what they want, which includes gambling. But the idea that DFS is closer to fantasy than gambling can't be described as anything other than bury-your-head-in-the-sand insanity from the government and major pro leagues. DFS is everything that those who say you shouldn't be allowed to gamble pretend that gambling is, and probably worse, since they pretend it is different. The only benefit is that it is so clearly gambling, that eventually it shouldn't open the door to other gambling types being allowed.

Right now, like Chris says, DFS is probably similar to early poker. Other than the significantly lesser aspects of luck and ability to learn (meaning the peak will likely be shorter, since it will take a lot less time for Joe Public to go broke and a lot less likely he'll ever catch up), I'm curious as to whether the ability for big sites to raise billion-dollar funding valuations in ways that FTP and Pokerstars couldn't (at the time) will mean that they are able to keep out competition.

Great stuff Chris. It pretty much confirmed what I feared, that this is about being the best at solving a puzzle, and not about sports knowledge in any real way.

The growth is unreal. I couldnt help noticing that pretty much all of the pre game shows at some point alluded to how you should play DFS this Sunday.

Did anyone else realize that we suddenly have a Fantasy Sports Channel? For me its #499, right between TSN+Sportsnet, and its on 24/7, pretty much just fantasy talk all the time, all brought to you by DFS. It would appear to be their channel. lol

Great stuff Chris. It pretty much confirmed what I feared, that this is about being the best at solving a puzzle, and not about sports knowledge in any real way.

The growth is unreal. I couldnt help noticing that pretty much all of the pre game shows at some point alluded to how you should play DFS this Sunday.

Did anyone else realize that we suddenly have a Fantasy Sports Channel? For me its #499, right between TSN+Sportsnet, and its on 24/7, pretty much just fantasy talk all the time, all brought to you by DFS. It would appear to be their channel. lol

They've raised large money from investors and are burning through it pretty quickly. The current advertising volume isn't sustainable and I think the sites are currently losing pretty big money but justifying it by thinking it will build the business long term.

Stars new site just opened but they are shutting down in Canada by Jan 1

What do you mean by this?

just picking players, you're a sucker and almost inevitably a loser.

This just describe me.

What do you mean by this?

stars bought an existing DFS site and rebranded it as StarsDraft. They are operating now, but if you have a Canadian account there's a message saying that you must clear your balance out by Jan 1 as they are removing services from Canada

stars bought an existing DFS site and rebranded it as StarsDraft. They are operating now, but if you have a Canadian account there's a message saying that you must clear your balance out by Jan 1 as they are removing services from Canada

They also pulled out of I think Michigan and the other States in the US where it's explicitly not allowed.

I don't think Amaya is going to do anything to piss off the Quebec Lottery Corp and the other Provinces since they are trying hard to make deals with them