• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

obsessed much? none of this changes BP's issues.
But wasn't that statement similar to the complaints about the CEO of BP taking a break and doing something? Shouldn't that be the same standard?
But wasn't that statement similar to the complaints about the CEO of BP taking a break and doing something? Shouldn't that be the same standard?
Exactly...Barack Obama announced back on May 14, 2010 that,“I will not rest until the leak was stopped.“… Except, of course, for the ball games, golf, vacations, parties, etc.
A) irrelevant to my point. The "others have done bad things too" defense is not that persuasive.B) I dont think so. President Obama didnt cut corners on his drilling operation and leak oil all over the Gulf. Could his response be better? Sure. Should he be held to the same standard as the people who actually caused this? That seems unfair.
A) irrelevant to my point. The "others have done bad things too" defense is not that persuasive.B) I dont think so. President Obama didnt cut corners on his drilling operation and leak oil all over the Gulf. Could his response be better? Sure. Should he be held to the same standard as the people who actually caused this? That seems unfair.
I don't think the CEO personally made any of the faulty decisions, and at any rate having him on call 24 hours per day is probably counterproductive.I'm not defending BP, but let's be real, these are just regular people stuck in a horrible situation. A day of relaxing by a guy who doesn't really do anything wont' matter a bit.
“In case you were wondering who’s responsible? I take responsibility. It is my job to make sure everything is done to shut this down. … There shouldn’t be any confusion here: the federal government is fully engaged and I’m fully engaged. … Make no mistake: BP is operating at our direction.” BHO - May 27th 2010
“In case you were wondering who’s responsible? I take responsibility. It is my job to make sure everything is done to shut this down. … There shouldn’t be any confusion here: the federal government is fully engaged and I’m fully engaged. … Make no mistake: BP is operating at our direction.” BHO - May 27th 2010
That is an asinine comment on so many different levels.
That is an asinine comment on so many different levels.
yeah, I am going to have to agree. Still, you cant really make a good case that Obama is as responsible as BP. That's preposterous. More proof, though, that Presidents talk too much.
yeah, I am going to have to agree. Still, you cant really make a good case that Obama is as responsible as BP. That's preposterous. More proof, though, that Presidents talk too much.
Obama is not responsible at all. For him to say that makes no sense. It goes to the very soul of his being that he believes the governement is responsible for everything.Very simply this is a tragic accident, that will have years of environmental and financial repercussions that we cannot even begin quantify. BP is complicit at some level, and as previously discussed negligent or grossly negligent. Bottom line is FEMA or whomever in the government is most apt to deal with disasters such as this should be coordinating a clean up effort and bringing together the worlds brightest minds in regard to deep water drilling and find out what the best course of action to stop this is, then fund it. Think Armageddon.
Obama is not responsible at all. For him to say that makes no sense. It goes to the very soul of his being that he believes the governement is responsible for everything.
He said it at a time when people were questioning his involvement in the crisis. He said it to show that he was attentive and was working on the problem. It was a "the buck stops here" moment.
He said it at a time when people were questioning his involvement in the crisis. He said it to show that he was attentive and was working on the problem. It was a "the buck stops here" moment.
exactly. I agree Guapo that he is not responsible but I think it was more about Obama wanting to look tough than being indicative of an ideology. Of course, it would have been better if he just told the truth instead of bowing to pressure and saying silly things but what can you do.Obama deserves to be criticized for his response in general but this is BP's disaster not his.
exactly. I agree Guapo that he is not responsible but I think it was more about Obama wanting to look tough than being indicative of an ideology. Of course, it would have been better if he just told the truth instead of bowing to pressure and saying silly things but what can you do.Obama deserves to be criticized for his response in general but this is BP's disaster not his.
IT will likely have ramifications on the environment for decades.It would have defied his presidency if he wasn't so busy destroying the entire economy first.As it is his presidency will be defined as the 'guy who ruined the economy, the health care system and also ignored the oil disaster while he golfed and attended fund raisers while the Jones Act prevented help from people who could have helped."Or 'The democrat president who was worse than Carter" for short.

Florida Lawmakers Press President to Remove Bureaucratic Hurdles to Spill CleanupWASHINGTON - U.S. Senator George LeMieux (R-FL) and Congressman Jeff Miller (R-Chumuckla) today asked President Obama to waive portions of the Jones Act so as to allow more resources to take part in oil mitigation activities in the Gulf. The lawmakers also called on the president to press British Petroleum to expedite the payment of claims.The letter states, in part: "We remain concerned that inadequate resources are being dedicated to containing and removing oil from the Gulf before it reaches our fragile coastline. "...there are numerous reports that offers by foreign corporations or governments to send skimmer vessels to the Gulf have been refused as a result of concerns arising from the Jones Act, which, among other things, regulates the use of foreign-owned vessels between U.S. ports. However, your Administration has the authority to waive any bureaucratic barriers that may exist under the Jones Act."LeMieux and Miller also called attention to the need for BP to expedite their claims process."In our conversations with local officials and impacted business-owners and families in the Panhandle of Florida, the issues are clear: BP must fix and enhance its claims process to better address the severe economic stress this spill has caused..."Senator LeMieux and Congressman Miller will be among the principals meeting with President Obama in Pensacola on Tuesday, to discuss the status of the Gulf disaster and efforts to improve the ongoing operation. BACKGROUND: The Jones Act provides a federal framework for maritime labor relations and contains provisions requiring ships working in U.S. waters to be U.S. built, owned and operated. Jones Act waivers are administrative decisions that allow the use of vessels and shipping situations that wouldn't normally be legal under the Merchant Marine Act of 1920. One recent example of a waiver of the act occurred in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

Oil spill updates, from overlawyered:More Incompetence… Crude-Sucking Barges Ordered By Gov. Jindal Shut Down By FedsOil Spill Expose of the Day: Foreign Registration of Rigsin part:Via Cruise Law News comes a link to a lengthy Los Angeles Times article exploring the practice of oil companies registering their drilling rigs in exotic foreign lands to avoid, to the greatest extent possible, oversight by U.S. authorities.The Deepwater Horizon was registered in the Marshall Islands, and some experts quoted in the article assert that the foreign registration resulted in a dual command structure -- both a drilling expert and a sea captain having some command authority -- that likely contributed to the extent of the disaster because the captain felt he needed to consult with the drilling manager prior to taking action.BP Doesn't Deserve a Liability Cap Engulfed in damagesOn The Limitations Of The Tort System In Dealing With Artificial Catastrophe, And Why Americans Should Boycott BP, f/k/a British Petroleum: Your Instructions Follow.

Why do issue like this become a Republican/Democrat issue? Does anyone actually think the Republicans want the gulf to be ruined?I thought the same thing when Katrina happened and all the holler about it being a Republican plot to not provide aid to black people.I was bored so I did some quick research (and by quick I mean less than 5 minutes) on the National Forest Service. It seems to be fairly bipartisan. Set up by a Republican President and furthered by both parties. The reason I looked at that, is because that is our effort to preserve our wildlife and not let it get mined, harvested or developed. Which I am guessing most people would think that is a liberal agenda.

Why do issue like this become a Republican/Democrat issue? Does anyone actually think the Republicans want the gulf to be ruined?I thought the same thing when Katrina happened and all the holler about it being a Republican plot to not provide aid to black people.I was bored so I did some quick research (and by quick I mean less than 5 minutes) on the National Forest Service. It seems to be fairly bipartisan. Set up by a Republican President and furthered by both parties. The reason I looked at that, is because that is our effort to preserve our wildlife and not let it get mined, harvested or developed. Which I am guessing most people would think that is a liberal agenda.
Jon Stewart had a great segment where he discussed how "green" a prez Nixon was. Politics was not always this crazy.
Well I am glad some people haven't lost their minds completely.Judge blocks offshore drilling moratorium
:club: This is Obama's Katrina, fair or not. When you are the coach you get the shit sandwich. I hope he chokes on it while playing more golf.Not to mention that in 18 months he's played more golf than Bush did in 8 years.but I digress...

yeah ike was a huge environmentalist. the term "conservative" actually used to pertain to people who wanted to, you know, conserve things.

Well I am glad some people haven't lost their minds completely.Judge blocks offshore drilling moratorium
actually, I think this is evidence that you and this judge have lost your minds. It came out in congressional testimony that every oil company has the same response plan for a massive deepwater spill. Until, they have something better than lets throw trash in the hole and pray.....I think the moratorium is justified......because if another spill happens it will be equally devastating. Given the testimony Jeepster linked to, I think we should be shutting down BP's other rig (Atlantis) immediately......not figuring out ways to get more timebombs set up in our water.If this was a fluky thing, i would totally agree with you. But Exxon, Chevron, Conoco, etc all have the same exact response plan in place for a spill that BP had......which is essentially no plan. I find that unacceptable and I dont think that means I have lost my mind.
yeah ike was a huge environmentalist. the term "conservative" actually used to pertain to people who wanted to, you know, conserve things.
Well it's like things have gotten so polarized. If you are a Republican you are for A,B,C and Democrats are for X,Y,Z. The majority of people we have in political office right now are scum. Both sides. Did anyone see that State Senator I think from Arizona get interviewed by a H.S. kid and completely melt down when the kids calls him on his bullshit:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts2732He said even thought they cut 99% funding of some program, they wouldn't let it die, but had no basis for it. Now I have no idea what the program was or if it should have been cut or not, that has nothing to do with his response and how he handled himself.These politicians honestly have no idea what they are voting for the majority of the time. They are consistently getting caught in major lies, but nothing happens to them. Like that guy in Chicago who swore he read the health care bill 3 times cover to cover before voting, but couldn't tell you anything about it, and it was also physically impossible to do what he claimed.It's just sickening. Why can't we just get some public leaders who actually care about the country and not their reelection campaigns.
actually, I think this is evidence that you and this judge have lost your minds. It came out in congressional testimony that every oil company has the same response plan for a massive deepwater spill. Until, they have something better than lets throw trash in the hole and pray.....I think the moratorium is justified......because if another spill happens it will be equally devastating. Given the testimony Jeepster linked to, I think we should be shutting down BP's other rig (Atlantis) immediately......not figuring out ways to get more timebombs set up in our water.If this was a fluky thing, i would totally agree with you. But Exxon, Chevron, Conoco, etc all have the same exact response plan in place for a spill that BP had......which is essentially no plan. I find that unacceptable and I dont think that means I have lost my mind.
I thought BP admitted that they did not have any contingency plans for this, such as a relief well, and other rigs/companies do. I could be wrong about that.If that is the case, then freezing drilling until safety precautions are met would be fine by me, but not an arbitrary 6 month moratorium. What if Chevron can prove by next week that they have all the safety precautions in place, they still have to wait 6 months?
I thought BP admitted that they did not have any contingency plans for this, such as a relief well, and other rigs/companies do. I could be wrong about that.If that is the case, then freezing drilling until safety precautions are met would be fine by me, but not an arbitrary 6 month moratorium. What if Chevron can prove by next week that they have all the safety precautions in place, they still have to wait 6 months?
I agree the moratorium should be lifted as soon as they have a real plan in place. That's more than fair. Daily Show did a report on this; basically, the other oil companies oil spill plans for deepwater rigs are WORD FOR WORD copies of BP's. If I have some time later, I will try and track it down on youtube.