Official 2010 Off Season Free Agent And Trade Thread

The cap is very complicated to me..Is there a "NBA cap for Dummies" website out there?I cant figure out the cap holds, trade exceptions, luxury tax etc...The NHL cap is so much easier to understand IMO...Maybe its because i follow it much more.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus they still have money to sign Miller too?
yeah because they dumped Beasley on Minnesota. After Miller, they wont have much left but minimum veterans and 2nd round draft picks. Not that it matters.

Salary cap is $58 million this year, but it's a soft cap. This means that you can exceed it under certain circumstances. For example, you're allowed to go over the cap if it's to re-sign one of your existing players. Another common exception is the mid-level exception, which means that if you're above the cap at the start of the off-season, you can still sign a free agent for the league average salary.The luxury tax is at $70 million this year. This means that if your total salary is above that, you pay tax on it. It's a dollar for dollar tax, so if your salary is $80 million, you owe $10 million in tax (80-70). Not totally sure about cap holds, but I think it works like this:The Heat had only two players under contract at the start of this season, but their available cap space isn't the salary cap minus those two contracts. You have to account for all the spots that need to be filled. So those empty spots are assigned salary amounts (that's the cap hold). There are cap holds for first round draft picks too because those are guaranteed contracts.

Open Letter to Fans from Cavaliers Majority Owner Dan Gilbert
Now he's going around saying that Lebron quit on the team during the playoffs. He's actually making it harder to feel bad for Cleveland with the way he's acting. And making Lebron feel better about leaving Cleveland (if he ever felt bad, which I think he did at some level).I liked Wade's reaction to this; "I think I'm happy that I have the owner that I have here in Miami."
is there a way for me to wear an NBA jersey that represents everyone in the league BUT Miami?
I think that would be a Cavs jersey since they are going to suck hard next year and all they have to root for is Miami to lose. Before Gilbert's letter, I would have felt bad for the Cavs. What a petulant, whiny bitch. I cant wait to watch them go 20-62 next year.Apparently, the organizational class of the Heat was a big factor in them landing the Big 3. Mickey Arison is one of the few billionaires in the world who is very well thought of by the general populace.

the whole thing is a farce - Lebron earned every paycheck in Cleveland and sold out the Arena every nightGoing to Miami means he's a frontrunner - having Wade come to cleveland means he's loyal? Nonsense

the whole thing is a farce - Lebron earned every paycheck in Cleveland and sold out the Arena every nightGoing to Miami means he's a frontrunner - having Wade come to cleveland means he's loyal? Nonsense
whats a frontrunner in this situation mean exactly? Im not being sarcastic, Im actually asking what you mean. He was the one who got Wade+Bosh together and led them to Miami?
Exactly, you dont hear Toronto fans getting all apopleptic about this.......there was no outrage that Carlos Boozer ditched ANOTHER team for greener pastures. If all these douche bag columnists and fans held themselves to the same standard they hold Lebron, America would be a utopia in five years. Most of this "outrage" comes down to one whiny/selfish fan-journalist theme: Why wont Lebron do what I think he should do? And they call Lebron the narcissist. Irony.
Exactly, you dont hear Toronto fans getting all apopleptic about this.......there was no outrage that Carlos Boozer ditched ANOTHER team for greener pastures. If all these douche bag columnists and fans held themselves to the same standard they hold Lebron, America would be a utopia in five years. Most of this "outrage" comes down to one whiny/selfish fan-journalist theme: Why wont Lebron do what I think he should do? And they call Lebron the narcissist. Irony.
Sorry, but not all of that "outrage" comes from that. Im glad he chose Miami. Im more excited as a peripheral NBA fan (they've lost me since the 80's/90s), and Im looking forward to watching these 3 play together. I just think its fair to call him out on a few things, such as HIS own constant spewing of how he wanted to stay in Cleveland and that would have been his first choice if he could have won there.I dont care where some 25yr old who has had everything handed to him chooses to ply his trade. Just dont ask me not to comment on his constant spin that helps him fool so many into thinking he is tortured by leaving Cleveland.Im from Toronto, and am glad Bosh isnt giving us the same crap. He's leaving cause he doesnt want to work here. God bless, good luck! Thanks for showing us no loyalty, but hell, if you sucked, we wouldnt have shown you any either.
Sorry, but not all of that "outrage" comes from that. Im glad he chose Miami. Im more excited as a peripheral NBA fan (they've lost me since the 80's/90s), and Im looking forward to watching these 3 play together. I just think its fair to call him out on a few things, such as HIS own constant spewing of how he wanted to stay in Cleveland and that would have been his first choice if he could have won there.I dont care where some 25yr old who has had everything handed to him chooses to ply his trade. Just dont ask me not to comment on his constant spin that helps him fool so many into thinking he is tortured by leaving Cleveland.Im from Toronto, and am glad Bosh isnt giving us the same crap. He's leaving cause he doesnt want to work here. God bless, good luck! Thanks for showing us no loyalty, but hell, if you sucked, we wouldnt have shown you any either.
Not all, but more than enough. I dont remember him saying anything about how much he wanted to stay in Cleveland this offseason. Does he have to stand by stuff he said a long time ago?I am sure he is tortured in some ways be leaving Cleveland. It's his hometown and he knew they would react like nutbags. We can't just sit here and assume we know how he feels.I am can understand people being upset at the contrived ESPN special......and yet everyone watched it didnt they?
I think Lebron can be a better version of Scottie Pippen, which is kind of scary since I think Pippen was super awesome.
I mentioned this to a friend of mine, that Lebron is like Pippen crossed with the hulk. IF he's willing to take on that role, he's going to be amazing.
I think that would be a Cavs jersey since they are going to suck hard next year and all they have to root for is Miami to lose. Before Gilbert's letter, I would have felt bad for the Cavs. What a petulant, whiny bitch. I cant wait to watch them go 20-62 next year.
If your franchise's value just dropped 300 million, you'd probably be pretty pissed too.
So...who will the Heat be playing on Christmas day? Lakers? Magic?
Lakers without a doubt A frontrunner is someone who just roots for winning teams - which honestly Lebron sort of does - people were outraged that he wore a Yankees hat here - for some reason you have to stay in one city and have them build around you rather than going out and making it happen for yourselfbut honestly the day the Browns cut Bernie Kosar the most loyal Cleveland Athlete ever - graduated college early so he could be a Brown - was the day I realized that being a loyal home town fan was nonsense designed to make you support crappy teams - I just want to watch good players play and honestly it's pained me for years seeing Lebron carry all those role players - he's a passer and I'd love to see what he can really do - also he was made to run and they made him walk it up the court for yearsI'd rather see great athletes reach their potential than have my home team win at this pointthe way people in Cleveland are talking he isn't a man unless he beats an all star team all by himself - yet I dare Dan Gilbert to name one player that Lebron ever got to play with that could create his own shot - he doesn't existDanny Ferry wanted to turn the Cavs into the Spurs and it didn't work and that's why Lebron left

Sitting at work, reading Bill simmons mailbag o' whining by Cleveland fans and bitter Chicago fans. Loving every second. My pity for Cleveland is waning......really, who would want to play in a city of nutjobs?Also, when did everyone get together and decide that you have to do everything like how Michael Jordan did it or you are not a true competitor? I dont remember anyone trashing Magic's career for getting to play with Worthy/Kareem/Cooper or Bird for playing with McHale/DJ/Walton in 86.I find Simmons stance given the theme of his book to be wildly hypocritical.....but he is a snob who believes only old school teams should win titles so I am not surprised.

No one seems to remember that Shaq was once a member of the Magic
Yeah, this was my argument when people were saying leaving Cleveland would taint his legacy. It's a pretty similar career path so far, except the Lakers didn't have Kobe when he went there.I read that mailbag too; people take sports too seriously.Although I did like the nickname one guy came up with for Lebron/Wade/Bosh: The NazgulThe Nazgul were the characters in Lord of the Rings that were former kings who turned into demons that were constantly chasing the ring. It completely consumed them and robbed them of their humanity. I think this sums up the situation in Miami.

4. Michael Jordan would have wanted to kick Dwyane Wade's butt every spring, not play with him. This should be mentioned every day for the rest of LeBron's career. It's also the kryptonite for any "Some day we'll remember LeBron James as the best basketball player ever" argument. We will not. Jordan and Russell were the greatest players of all time. Neither of them would have made the choice that LeBron did last night. That should tell you something.Isn't this the same Michael Jordan who welcomed Dennis Rodman to town - the same guy who cheap shotted Scottie Pippen and gave him scars for life?

It is interesting that Simmons wants Lebron to do everything like Jordan would while blasting Kobe at every opportunity for trying to do everything like Jordan would.

The difference is, Jordan made the talent come to him, not the other way around. (yes I know he wanted to be traded and all that, but that didn't happen)

It is interesting that Simmons wants Lebron to do everything like Jordan would while blasting Kobe at every opportunity for trying to do everything like Jordan would.
Simmons hates Miami. We were just talking about how MJ's hof speech was the greatest dick move ever. Now, everyone loves MJ again? When lebron wins a title or three this will all be forgotten (outside Cleveland). Kobe quit on his team multiple times (especially Game 6 of the 2008 Finals) and now everyone talks about him like he is a super nice guy who they will root for against Lebron. I think we live in Bizarro World sometimes.
Simmons hates Miami. We were just talking about how MJ's hof speech was the greatest dick move ever. Now, everyone loves MJ again? When lebron wins a title or three this will all be forgotten (outside Cleveland). Kobe quit on his team multiple times (especially Game 6 of the 2008 Finals) and now everyone talks about him like he is a super nice guy who they will root for against Lebron. I think we live in Bizarro World sometimes.
winning cures everything even rape allegations
Sitting at work, reading Bill simmons mailbag o' whining by Cleveland fans and bitter Chicago fans. Loving every second. My pity for Cleveland is waning......really, who would want to play in a city of nutjobs?Also, when did everyone get together and decide that you have to do everything like how Michael Jordan did it or you are not a true competitor? I dont remember anyone trashing Magic's career for getting to play with Worthy/Kareem/Cooper or Bird for playing with McHale/DJ/Walton in 86.I find Simmons stance given the theme of his book to be wildly hypocritical.....but he is a snob who believes only old school teams should win titles so I am not surprised.
Obviously you've never seen CSI Miami.