Official 2010 Off Season Free Agent And Trade Thread

Can you sign a player to a 17 year contract in the NBA? and can you front load the deal to pay him very little at the end??
A team can sign their own player to a maximum of 6 years and another team can sign them for a maximum of 5 years. There's a maximum percentage increase each year allowed in a deal but deals can be front loaded and then decrease. The cap hit each year is the actual amount of the contract for that season.
  • Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A team can sign their own player to a maximum of 6 years and another team can sign them for a maximum of 5 years. There's a maximum percentage increase each year allowed in a deal but deals can be front loaded and then decrease. The cap hit each year is the actual amount of the contract for that season.
this is perfect solution to the NHL mess..

Chris Paul wants out.A report on CBSSports.com -- citing a "person with direct knowledge of his plans -- said that guard Chris Paul has what the story described as "an aggressive exit strategy" to leave the team, possibly prior to the upcoming season.The New York Knicks, Orlando Magic and Los Angeles Lakers are on Paul's list of preferred destinations, sources told CBSSports.com. The sources said members of Paul's "inner circle" have told the Hornets the guard wants out in part because "he feels like they haven't put the right pieces together." Sources told Broussard on Thursday that the Knicks and Magic are on Paul's list of preferred destinations, but the Lakers are not. Sources told Broussard that the Portland Trail Blazers and Dallas Mavericks are also in the running if Paul were to be traded.

New condender for worst contract of the off season.Richard Jefferson 4 Years and $38.8 Million. I thought Jefferson was insane for opting out of his contract for $15 Million but he sure looks smart now. The Spurs are supposed to be smarter than this.http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_d...?urn=nba-257651

The Spurs are supposed to be smarter than this.
Heh. I was reading your post thinking, "I wonder where he went?" Surprised to see it was the Spurs.

****ing Simmons mailbag. I feel like I am taking crazy pills. If you happen to land with another superstar by chance that is ok. If it happens through free agency that is not ok. WAT?Plus, why does he keep acting like they are rivals? They are not rivals. Combined playoff games between Lebron James/Wade/Bosh : 0!!!!!!!!!!!!It's not like MJ going to Detroit in 1991. It's like MJ going to Houston to play with Hakeem who was not his rival.aifhhafsdiohasdfiohhasdfilhnsdflhnsdfkljhsdkl;jfl;sdjfsl;jsdfl;j

Plus, why does he keep acting like they are rivals? They are not rivals. Combined playoff games between Lebron James/Wade/Bosh : 0!!!!!!!!!!!!
I haven't read his column, so I probably shouldn't comment, but it's not like that's ever stopped me before...Anyway, remember that regular season game where Wade and Lebron were going back and forth at each other and how much fun that was? If you were to make a list of memorable regular season games from last year, that one would be in there. I don't think that makes them rivals, but it sure makes it fun to watch them compete against each other like that.(Remember that I'm not against the Lebron/Wade duo as I am fascinated to see how this turns out.)
I haven't read his column, so I probably shouldn't comment, but it's not like that's ever stopped me before...Anyway, remember that regular season game where Wade and Lebron were going back and forth at each other and how much fun that was? If you were to make a list of memorable regular season games from last year, that one would be in there. I don't think that makes them rivals, but it sure makes it fun to watch them compete against each other like that.(Remember that I'm not against the Lebron/Wade duo as I am fascinated to see how this turns out.)
It's not the first time they have had an awesome regular season duel. I get that. But they have never played ONE important NBA game against each other. Not one. Why would they consider themselves rivals? The most important game they ever were on the same court for was USA v Spain where they were teammates. Comparing that to MJ and the Pistons is so lolretarded I dont even know where to begin.I also am SHOCKED that Simmons found a way to rationalize that it was ok for the Showtime Lakers and 80s Celtics to be ridiculously stacked but not ok for Miami to be stacked because free agency was the impetus. I am sitting at work filled with rage. Probably not healthy.
That's why the Hornets may indeed decide to trade Paul even though he has two years left on his contract. But New Orleans would not limit itself to the four clubs on Paul's list. Instead, the Hornets would look for the best deal for its franchise, according to league sources.Chris Paul may get his trade but he is unlikely to get it on his terms. If Orlando is willing to take the Okafor contract AND the Posey contract off NO's hands then I could see Orlando getting him.
Has Posey really deterioated that much in 2 years? Or would he become a valuable piece on a team like Orlando?
Definitely possible. His contract sucks though and if NO is really going to dump Paul they are going to look to dump as many bad contracts as possible too.

Posey is old, but he can still contribute. Not for what he makes though. Woj has been ripping apart Lebron in his articles like this last one about Chris Paul, but even as someone who has always thought Lebron is overrated the way the media is piling on him now I think is overkill. It's funny how much I used to get ripped for saying anything bad about Lebron, now is a fucking trend.

anyone else watching this team usa scrimmage?they have absolutely no size. but the collection of guards is pretty sick.as of this moment, if i were being traditional, my lineup would be:BillupsCurryDurantOdomChandlerwith RoseWestbrookIguadalaGayLopezLoveGreen/GrangerIf I'm not being traditional:RoseCurryGayDurantOdom/Chandler

Has Posey really deterioated that much in 2 years? Or would he become a valuable piece on a team like Orlando?
He's been horrible.If he's getting any minutes on your team your team is in trouble.
Posey is old, but he can still contribute. Not for what he makes though. Woj has been ripping apart Lebron in his articles like this last one about Chris Paul, but even as someone who has always thought Lebron is overrated the way the media is piling on him now I think is overkill. It's funny how much I used to get ripped for saying anything bad about Lebron, now is a fucking trend.
Yeah, it is like 5 articles in a row from Wojarnowski destroying Lebron. This last one takes the cake.....now Lebron is a Sith lord seducing other players to the Dark Side. Ridiculous. It's good though.....for the first time Lebron might actually play pissed off.....I can't wait for them to waltz into Cleveland and thump them and hopefully Lebron moons the crowd after the game.
I can't wait for them to waltz into Cleveland and thump them and hopefully Lebron moons the crowd after the game.
that game is gonna be must watch tv. but they better do a really good job of metal detecting every fan through the door, i mean its gonna be a hornets nest in there.
as of this moment, if i were being traditional, my lineup would be:
You have a much higher opinion of Odom than I do.I also really like Westbrook to put in major minutes on this team. I think he and Rondo are the clearly the best defensive guards on the team and with Westbrook's court time with Durant from playing on the Thunder I think he is a better option that Curry at point unless they really need scoring.

If it is international basketball then Kevin Love should be getting big minutes and it is ok to have Durant at the 4 because nobody else has much size either.Curry, Granger, Gay, Durant, Love.