Early stages of a tournament, no real read on anybody. I thought I was beat and could put all my money in a better spot. Thanks for the advice.PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 5.5 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (8 handed) - Poker-Stars Replayer from Poker Hands Replayer1504.gifMP1 (t1470)MP2 (t2100)CO (t1480)Hero (Button) (t1300)SB (t3340)BB (t1330)UTG (t870)UTG+1 (t1610)Hero's M: 28.89Preflop: Hero is Button with J :qh, J :tsUTG bets t120, 3 folds, CO calls t120, Hero raises to t550, SB calls t535, BB raises to t1330 (All-In), UTG calls t750 (All-In), 2 folds, SB calls t780Flop: (t4200) 5 :jh, 9 :club:, 2 :5c(3 players, 2 all-in)Turn: (t4200) 3 :4h(3 players, 2 all-in)River: (t4200) 6 :3h(3 players, 2 all-in)

Now that's what I call action...I'm going to get reamed for this, but here's my "play":When the betting gets to me, I FLAT call. Why? With 2 people left to act and a 3x raiser and a caller out there, you don't know what's going to happen and it would be nice to have a fold option if someone raises/jams. If you re-raise, as you did, yes, it's a strong play, but you are not the initial raiser. UTG could have the goods and I'm guessing he won the hand. The tall stack dude (SB) was likely trying to squeeze and isolate with AK or something and the BB thinks SB is full of it and called with a low PP or AK. When the UTG raiser calls off his stack after two shovers, you gotta know he's strong and doesn't give a rat's ass what the caller and you are going to do, although I'm guessing he'd rather you folded.Or you could jam. Not that there was anything wrong with your raise, as I said. It's a strong play, but it just didn't work out for you. Nice disciplined fold, though.But you're not folding, are you? At least, not to a 3x raise and a call.

If you want to find a way to fold this hand pre, please don't put 40% of your stack in first.Flatting is ok on the first option, I'd usually just jam it in though. Any 3 bet sucks.
agreed

imho i fold here preflop, i know flatting it would be ok to some, but at this money level, and the blind level being so early, i fold here b/c more times than not, there's gonna be 2-4 callers/reraisers, and JJ to me is not a hand i want in that situation. So early in the tourney, I wait for a better spot. But that's me.

imho i fold here preflop, i know flatting it would be ok to some, but at this money level, and the blind level being so early, i fold here b/c more times than not, there's gonna be 2-4 callers/reraisers, and JJ to me is not a hand i want in that situation. So early in the tourney, I wait for a better spot. But that's me.
Jesus, there's tight and then there's super tight. No way you should fold pre. I would rather call than raise. If you're gonna raise you can assume that UTG is going to call and then you're hoping for a race at best against a big ace. If you flat him you get to see a flop and if it's a weak board, like it actually turned out to be, you can see what he does and decide what to do. If he does have AK he is in a tough spot with that board. Preflop you're probably gonna get called by big slick, but if you wait to see the board you have a lot of options. Reraising in that situation would be best only if you're short stacked and then you just shove.