Mtt 100% Limping Pre Until 200/400blinds

I think you really have to consider many scenarios to really analyze the merit of this strategy.At tournaments with stakes of $10 and under, I really think that limping with JJ and under has some real value. A lot of times you'll get more value out of your hand on raggy boards. That being said, you're still better off even with a minraise for the sake of thinning the field of junk and building a pot. What you're missing out on value before the flop, you're gaining a lot after the flop. However, now you're not going to stack off a donk that is married to top pair with a hand like AT on a board of T52. Or say you flop a set on a board with an ace, and a guy is once again attached to his top pair. You're missing out necessary chips for later stages.At these same stakes, I still think raising with QQ-AA is an absolute must. People love pocket pairs, people love their big suited cards. Punish them for playing inferior hands.At any stakes greater than $10, this strategy is LOL, as guys are looking to play an even wider range of hands. They suspect that you are capable of making plays on them, and thus they'll go further with a hand that you have beat. Their play is easier to exploit before the flop, and so it makes more sense to raise preflop.I can understand wanting to play safe, but the fact of the matter is this strategy won't help you win tournaments, only survive them.
I agree, and also said that limping JJ - in early position at the early stages of a tournament is the way to go in one of my previous posts, because these aren't spots we're looking for a coinflip in. Honestly sometimes I even fold JJ preflop if it's a super aggressive table and I know I'm burning my blind by putting it in. But this is also completely dependent on what kind of tourney we're playing. When I'm replying to this I'm thinking SNG's and turbos, because those are where your chips count most once the blinds start going up and you're getting closer to the bubble. In MTT's your range really should be a bit wider even at the early stages and you should be trying to build your stack slowly and steadily (unless given the opportunity for a huge pot, obviously.) For example, when I say I'm limping JJ and lower, that's only for SNG's. I'll still 3xing it in MTT's (although this may be looked down upon by better players than myself, I haven't really discussed all the minute differences of SNGs and MTTs with people, only the basics.)
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

**** OP was leveling me he wanted to see me in agreement with tehtoe**** you OP
Pretty sure you've already agreed with me before!
I think you really have to consider many scenarios to really analyze the merit of this strategy.At tournaments with stakes of $10 and under, I really think that limping with JJ and under has some real value. A lot of times you'll get more value out of your hand on raggy boards. That being said, you're still better off even with a minraise for the sake of thinning the field of junk and building a pot. What you're missing out on value before the flop, you're gaining a lot after the flop. However, now you're not going to stack off a donk that is married to top pair with a hand like AT on a board of T52. Or say you flop a set on a board with an ace, and a guy is once again attached to his top pair. You're missing out necessary chips for later stages.At these same stakes, I still think raising with QQ-AA is an absolute must. People love pocket pairs, people love their big suited cards. Punish them for playing inferior hands.At any stakes greater than $10, this strategy is LOL, as guys are looking to play an even wider range of hands. They suspect that you are capable of making plays on them, and thus they'll go further with a hand that you have beat. Their play is easier to exploit before the flop, and so it makes more sense to raise preflop.I can understand wanting to play safe, but the fact of the matter is this strategy won't help you win tournaments, only survive them.
Yes this would be for 10$ and lower as I think a lot of the player make their mistakes postflop.
I agree, and also said that limping JJ - in early position at the early stages of a tournament is the way to go in one of my previous posts, because these aren't spots we're looking for a coinflip in. Honestly sometimes I even fold JJ preflop if it's a super aggressive table and I know I'm burning my blind by putting it in. But this is also completely dependent on what kind of tourney we're playing. When I'm replying to this I'm thinking SNG's and turbos, because those are where your chips count most once the blinds start going up and you're getting closer to the bubble. In MTT's your range really should be a bit wider even at the early stages and you should be trying to build your stack slowly and steadily (unless given the opportunity for a huge pot, obviously.) For example, when I say I'm limping JJ and lower, that's only for SNG's. I'll still 3xing it in MTT's (although this may be looked down upon by better players than myself, I haven't really discussed all the minute differences of SNGs and MTTs with people, only the basics.)
Ok if I was to say raise A's K's Q's and AK pre but limp everything else I'd play giving position/hand strength until later levels?
Yes this would be for 10$ and lower as I think a lot of the player make their mistakes postflop.Ok if I was to say raise A's K's Q's and AK pre but limp everything else I'd play giving position/hand strength until later levels?
Uhh no. I realize a lot of players don't pay attention to your play style, but some people will pick up on the fact that you raise with 4 hands only. That's why you (open) raise any hand you think is worth playing. All your doing by either limping or raising the top hands only is creating some very very VERY bad and super exploitable habits that people at higher levels will pick up on quickly. Don't try to have different strategy's for different levels, just focus on your game and focus at becoming a better player in general. The only rule I really stick to at lower levels is "Do not get tricky at lower levels and do not try to do things that these players won't understand."1) Please tell me this is some kind of sick early April Fool's thread when you've got a million people telling you and showing you this isn't optimal play, and not even near it.2) If this really isn't... I suggest buying some poker books and study the game, I guarantee that you won't find "Limp every hand for the first 10 levels" as a strategy in ANY book.3) Please don't form habits at lower levels that are going to make you a huge loser as you move up. Like I said, stick to your game and focus on becoming an overall better player. Don't try to rely on these gimmicky "safe play" tactics. Scared money don't make none, in the immortal words of Ludacris. (And feel free to not ever listen to me again after quoting a Ludacris song...)
Uhh no. I realize a lot of players don't pay attention to your play style, but some people will pick up on the fact that you raise with 4 hands only. That's why you (open) raise any hand you think is worth playing. All your doing by either limping or raising the top hands only is creating some very very VERY bad and super exploitable habits that people at higher levels will pick up on quickly. Don't try to have different strategy's for different levels, just focus on your game and focus at becoming a better player in general. The only rule I really stick to at lower levels is "Do not get tricky at lower levels and do not try to do things that these players won't understand."1) Please tell me this is some kind of sick early April Fool's thread when you've got a million people telling you and showing you this isn't optimal play, and not even near it.2) If this really isn't... I suggest buying some poker books and study the game, I guarantee that you won't find "Limp every hand for the first 10 levels" as a strategy in ANY book.3) Please don't form habits at lower levels that are going to make you a huge loser as you move up. Like I said, stick to your game and focus on becoming an overall better player. Don't try to rely on these gimmicky "safe play" tactics. Scared money don't make none, in the immortal words of Ludacris. (And feel free to not ever listen to me again after quoting a Ludacris song...)
That's why I said limp 100% not just certian handsI have 4997Mtts on Pokerstars with +9%ROI and I'm looking to find a new style to attack the Mtts
That's why I said limp 100% not just certian handsI have 4997Mtts on Pokerstars with +9%ROI and I'm looking to find a new style to attack the Mtts
Ok... the next obvious question then... WTF do you want to change your style if you're at 5k games played and a positive ROI? Obviously you're playing fine the way you're playing now so why even mess with your strategy, besides just trying to optimize the way you play currently?
Ok... the next obvious question then... WTF do you want to change your style if you're at 5k games played and a positive ROI? Obviously you're playing fine the way you're playing now so why even mess with your strategy, besides just trying to optimize the way you play currently?
Trying to figure out some different styles see what people think/idea's they come up with.
  • 4 weeks later...
Thoughts on 100% limping Pre no matter #ofpeople in or hand you have? (Online Mtts Obv)by 100% I mean hands you would normally raise/play with
I just noticed OP's sig and it explains him lighting money on fire. Why do you need money when you have good health?
It would be interesting to try limp/raising a largish range. It would be so tough to make work though.
this is can be done effectively at an aggressive 9 or 10 handed lhe table.
what's easier winning a pot headsup or 5-handed? seriously dude there isn't a single winning player who uses that strategy.....
this is a bad way to think about things
this is also badop had a dumb idea. but telling him not to come up with new ideas because what he was doing worked? it takes a lot of dumb ideas to get a good one.i also just want to let you know that i am going to be banging the shit out of that girl in your avatar for the next few days in my head. so until maybe like monday i would prefer if you didn't think about her and just let me have her.
  • 4 weeks later...

fwiw i am pretty sure that limping 100% at <10 dollar buyins, if you allow yourself to limp/reraise, could be pretty successful against total lp fish if you're good at postflop play. but that's not to say that it'd be the most optimal approach--it's just an overextension of the idea that against total retards, you want to play more hands cheaply preflop and punish them postflop.just limping alone seems kind of silly, though, as does trying this in a setting with anything remotely resembling competent villains.