I was playing in a shorthanded 1-2 No game at a B&M card room and had about 450 or so in front of me. I was in the SB and payed the extra dollar to see a flop with K diamonds and 5 clubs. The BB checked and the flop came down 2-3-6 all clubs. I checked and the BB bet $15 dollars, MP player called and I decided to call since my opponents stack covered me and I knew if the miracle 4 of clubs hit the board I would double through for over 400 dollars since I strongly felt my opponent had the naked Ace of clubs. The turn was an offsuit 5 giving me one pair on a board of 2-3-6-5 with three clubs. I checked my opponent bet 50, MP player folded and after a few moments of thought I called. The turn was a duece which paired the board. I checked and my opponent bet 150 dollars, I thought for about 10 seconds and decided to trust my gut and called flipping my hand up first even though I called him he looked at me disgustedly and mucked his hand. I do know about you but that right there is why I play poker. Theres nothing like calling a calling someone down with an average hand and snapping em off.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres nothing like calling a calling someone down with an average hand and snapping em off.
Although you played the hand well, I dont like your assesment of it. This was not an average hand, it was a great hand. Sure, The ace was the feared card.. But you can just always be folding the second best hand.

WTH, how is that a fish play. I'm playing against a guy i've played hundreds of hours of poker against. I put a read on him early in the hand that he was holding the naked Ace of clubs/King possibly and I was dead on right. If he bet more on the flop I wouldn't of called him but the implied odds of doubling up were to great and I knew that if he made his hand with the 4 of clubs he would pay off my straight flush. Everything in poker is situational, should I of folded just because he bet alot even though all my instincts told me he only had Ace high? Pretty weak tight if you ask me.

WTH, how is that a fish play. . If he bet more on the flop I wouldn't of called him but the implied odds of doubling up were to great and I knew that if he made his hand with the 4 of clubs he would pay off my straight flush.
If you lose all your money playing poker come back here and re-read this statement to explain it to your parents why they have to pay Johnny " The Lip" Francesco 10k for gambling debts.
WTH, how is that a fish play. I'm playing against a guy i've played hundreds of hours of poker against. I put a read on him early in the hand that he was holding the naked Ace of clubs/King possibly and I was dead on right. If he bet more on the flop I wouldn't of called him but the implied odds of doubling up were to great and I knew that if he made his hand with the 4 of clubs he would pay off my straight flush. Everything in poker is situational, should I of folded just because he bet alot even though all my instincts told me  he only had Ace high? Pretty weak tight if you ask me.
so weak/tight is calling down a pair of 5's K kicker on a paired board, with 3 to a flush and 4 to a straight?

It was a 15 dollar bet on the flop, thats not gonna make me head for the hills. And when the five came off I knew I had the best hand, I could beat Ace high which is exactly what he had. If Daniel wrote about making a similar call down you guys would praise him to no end saying "great call down Daniel, can I have your autograph." Such BS, almost everytime I would fold in this situation but I strongly felt I had the best hand and was not willing to laydown for anything short of an all-in. Dont tell about going to my parents. I play semi-pro in Dallas(average about $2400 dollars a month playing 1-2/2-5 NL and 10-20 limit holdem, occassionaly 5/10 limit Omaha for fun). What do you play, 1-2 limit on line? Come talk to me when you actually make a play that takes some guts and requires you to actually put a read on someone instead of just sitting there and playing mechanical poker.

It was a 15 dollar bet on the flop, thats not gonna make me head for the hills. And when the five came off I knew I had the best hand, I could beat Ace high which is exactly what he had. If Daniel wrote about making a similar call down you guys would praise him to no end saying "great call down Daniel, can I have your autograph." Such BS, almost everytime I would fold in this situation but I strongly felt I had the best hand and was not willing to laydown for anything short of an all-in. Dont tell about going to my parents. I play semi-pro in Dallas(average about $2400 dollars a month playing 1-2/2-5 NL and 10-20 limit holdem, occassionaly 5/10 limit Omaha for fun). What do you play, 1-2 limit on line? Come talk to me when you actually make a play that takes some guts and requires you to actually put a read on someone instead of just sitting there and playing mechanical poker.
I agree with you.I'd rather not go into length, but sometimes you just know someone is weak. I find situations like this come up when I'm playing heads up, and I can read people even online... being in person gives you another aspect. It's easy to say this is an easy fold, cause you won't lose much by doing it... so maybe in that sense, it's good to fold it in the long run, but the way you explained it.. I think you did alright.

It was a 15 dollar bet on the flop, thats not gonna make me head for the hills. And when the five came off I knew I had the best handreally? did he tell you what he had or did you see it through his sunglasses?I could beat Ace high which is exactly what he had.that is all you could beat, keep making those calls If Daniel wrote about making a similar call down you guys would praise him to no end saying "great call down Daniel, can I have your autograph." doubtfulSuch BS, almost everytime I would fold in this situation but I strongly felt I had the best hand and was not willing to laydown for anything short of an all-in. are you getting pissy now because people don't like your "great call down." honestly it was an atrocious call and you got lucky to have the best hand THIS timeDont tell about going to my parents. I play semi-pro in Dallas(average about $2400 dollars a month playing 1-2/2-5 NL and 10-20 limit holdem, occassionaly 5/10 limit Omaha for fun).good for you sport What do you play, 1-2 limit on line? Come talk to me when you actually make a play that takes some guts and requires you to actually put a read on someone instead of just sitting there and playing mechanical poker.I play 2/4-5/10 NL online

SO since you play NL I assume occassionally you call down with weak hands? or can anyo0ne push you off a hand by just overbetting the pot making mathematically incorrect to call.How did I know I had the best? because i've played with this guy many times and knew that he wouldn't bet a strong made hand this aggressively but would bet a solid draw. Also his body language when the off suited 5 came off conveyed some dissapointment and even more so when he saw the duece on the river. I dont usually call down with weak crap like this, thats why I decided to share it, this is maybe a once a week type occurence if that often. The vast majority of the time i'm right, very infrequently does a guy show me a strong hand, and when he does I tap the table and say nice hand and learn from the experience. You dont get better never attempting to put reads on people and just playing mechanical poker.

WTH, how is that a fish play. I'm playing against a guy i've played hundreds of hours of poker against. I put a read on him early in the hand that he was holding the naked Ace of clubs/King possibly and I was dead on right. If he bet more on the flop I wouldn't of called him but the implied odds of doubling up were to great and I knew that if he made his hand with the 4 of clubs he would pay off my straight flush. Everything in poker is situational, should I of folded just because he bet alot even though all my instincts told me  he only had Ace high? Pretty weak tight if you ask me.
The implied odds are virtuall never there for a 45-1 draw, and they certainly weren't in this case. Now if you want to count all the fours, then it's close.Still, this was donk play at its finest.

You are semi-pro..no shit...what team?I have been trying to make the Boston King Crabs but I just keep missing the cut.Got any advice on what the scouts look for?I'm glad you play NL where you "have to put a read on someone and not play mechanical poker" because limit poker is all about just betting and folding no reads needed. Oh and yeah just because you have enough money to play the limits you do doesn't mean you are good.

If this was on-line, then this would be a terrible play.But since you're live with many hundreds of hours of play with this guy, then I'll applaud your hand. A few questions on your read.He bet $15 into a $6 pot after the flop - that's a sizable bet which would seem to indicate that he was protecting a solid hand. Was it the bet amount or a tell that put him on just an A? Also, let's say that he did have two clubs or a 4 in his hand for the straight or a 2 (all of which would have crushed you)- how did you know that he didn't have those cards - by his bets or a tell? Also, you mention the straight flush possibility; but that's a one outer and would seem to be such a reach that it shouldn't really affect your decisions.

Quit ragging on the guy. Sometimes all you need in poker is a decent read on a guy and if you're confident then the odds and logistics of the hand is secondary. Obviously this was the case here and his instincts were right. However, the question is are you confident enough in that your read that you'd call his $150 if you hadn't hit the straight? If the answer to that is yes, then absolute props to you.

SO since you play NL I assume occassionally you call down with weak hands? or can anyo0ne push you off a hand by just overbetting the pot making mathematically incorrect to call.How did I know I had the best? because i've played with this guy many times and knew that he wouldn't bet a strong made hand this aggressively but would bet a solid draw. Also his body language when the off suited 5 came off conveyed some dissapointment and even more so when he saw the duece on the river.  I dont usually call down with weak crap like this, thats why I decided to share it, this is maybe a once a week type occurence if that often. The vast majority of the time i'm right, very infrequently does a guy show me a strong hand, and when he does I tap the table and say nice hand and learn from the experience. You dont get better never attempting to put reads on people and just playing mechanical poker.
Did you expect us to congratulate you for winning this hand? We're all happy that you've found yourself a nice aquarium, but this hand isn't exactly inspirational...

WOWOWOWOOWOWOWYou are such a fish!!!My one outer will hit .0001 percent of the time I so hope I win you!!Please. Save your smart talk for your dumbass friends who you are bragging about this hand too.

When I say implied odds I mean more or less that 15 dollars is gonna make this a succsessful or unsuccsessful sesssion by any stretch of the imagination. Hitting that magic card and doubling up for 450 can.
If you like playing for one outers, be my guest.

SO since you play NL I assume occassionally you call down with weak hands? or can anyo0ne push you off a hand by just overbetting the pot making mathematically incorrect to call. I have but I don't like how I played the hand at all. Why did you just call down with what you thought was the best hand? why not take a different line like using a check/raise on the flop or check/call the flop and bet the turn? How did I know I had the best? because i've played with this guy many times and knew that he wouldn't bet a strong made hand this aggressively but would bet a solid draw. Also his body language when the off suited 5 came off conveyed some dissapointment and even more so when he saw the duece on the river. He also could be using a reverse tells to convey to his opponent that he in fact does have a weak hand but he actually has a very strong made hand.I dont usually call down with weak crap like this, thats why I decided to share it, this is maybe a once a week type occurence if that often. The vast majority of the time i'm right, very infrequently does a guy show me a strong hand, and when he does I tap the table and say nice hand and learn from the experience. You dont get better never attempting to put reads on people and just playing mechanical poker.I understand where you are coming from but I don't like how you played the hand at all. As I stated above why not think of a better line on the hand instead of saying the way you played it is the only thing you could do. And I know you don't get better by never attempting to put reads on people and just nut peddling the day away that is why I play such different limits.

15 dollars from this guy said to me that he didn't flop anything good because if he did he would of attempted a check raise and when he bet the pretty aggressively on the turn I felt that he really wanted everyone to fold. And on the river if he really had a flush or boat or even a straight why would he make a nearly pot sized bet when I played it like a had a big club and clearly didn't make my hand. Wouldn't you bet say 75 or 90 in hopes of getting a call from someone with a weaker hand like A-6. The pot sized bet on the river seemed to be begging me to fold because he had missed his draw. The straight flush draw was enough to keep me in the hand only because 15 dollars was nothing to the massive pot I could win if I did hit my miracle 4 of clubs I stood to win a huge pot even though the odds were not quite there(pretty darn close though).