• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Odd bump.   Used to see him IRL quite a bit (we lived in the same city), met and talked with him once in the early 00's outside of a White Hen of all places. Told him I liked his review of Dances wi

I'm standing in line already. The Ebert doc.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9ud1HUHgug&app=desktop   Did everyone hear this? Ahhh. I think this might be the most romantic thing I've heard

It's quite the Ebert love-fest in here, but he's the man.
Isn't that the point of a thread titled Roger Ebert?
Or it could be a place where someone can give their opinion on him, good or bad.
does not compute.

With the aid of a text-to-speech computer program and his own make-shift sign language, Roger will sit down with Oprah Winfrey next week for what is sure to be an amazing interviewBut, yeah, I would imagine it'll be a closed taping, no audience, maybe in Ebert's home.

With the aid of a text-to-speech computer program and his own make-shift sign language, Roger will sit down with Oprah Winfrey next week for what is sure to be an amazing interviewBut, yeah, I would imagine it'll be a closed taping, no audience, maybe in Ebert's home.
The show airs today.

Another good articlehttp://m.deadspin.com/site?sid=deadspinip&...refId%3D5482198I watched the Oprah interview. It showed some of the voice technology the Esquire article mentioned. The beginning of each Ebert voiced sentence sounded good, sounded like Ebert, but by the end of the sentence it sounded like a computer.

From his twitter feed:"The trailer for "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse" goes online Thursday. Now I won't be able to sleep for two nights."
That's great.From a fake Ebert twitter account:"Akira Kurosawa's "Ran" - accidently rented this one, meant to get "Fled" with Laurence Fishburne (confused by the similar titles). Was ok."
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Video games can never be artby Roger EbertThoughts?
I've never been that interested in defining art. It's art, all of life can be argued to be art. Some of it is better than others. (This is where the real squeamishness lies, labelling art as bad, or inconsequential.)I think the point where Ebert loses me is his literal idea of "video game". It's pedantic, yes, but little of what I love about video games are the gaming portion. I don't play online. [And how does Ebert keep this going in his mind? Does he refrain from saying things like "Woody Allen's new film... Woody Allen doesn't use film.]Some of what I enjoy goes to the sandbox element--killing all of the Flying Rats in Liberty City, for example. But if I didn't respect (tm Lil Jacob) the relationship of Niko and Roman, then I wouldn't keep playing. The technical side is compelling for me, too, but not enough to make me play a game I find boring. I thought Oblivion looked gorgeous, but I wanted more art direction (like Shadows of the Colossus). Parts of Dragon Age are fun, but I find it's glitchy nature and difficult to read menu system a dealbreaker. Shale's my favorite DLC in recent memory, but I'll never finish Dragon Age: Origins because of all the glitches and breaks. When I play it, and see how the QA procedures broke down, I feel like my intelligence is being insulted--just like when I see an aggressively mediocre movie.This is my least favorite argument of Ebert's. He's usually pretty persuasive, and I like to hear his point of view. Regarding this, though, I feel like he's saying he can judge what makes something art. And that's straight douche bag material.
  • 3 weeks later...
"In a 24-hour operation, a team of 30 surgeons at the Vall d'Hebron University Hospital in Barcelona, Spain, led by surgeon Joan Pere Barret, started by removing what remained of the man's face - skin, veins and arteries - leaving just his eyeballs and tongue."The team then replaced this with practically the entire face of a dead donor, including all the skin, muscles and nerves, the entire nose, the lips, palate, all the teeth, the cheekbones and the entire lower jaw. These were grafted by microsurgery to what remained of the patient's own face, and the blood supply reconnected. In the final part of the operation, the surgeons transplanted bones and connecting nerves to the patient's own face
Ebert did give Face/off three stars, after all..
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Did anyone else watch the new program?I think it's alright, I didn't love either of the two main critics, but I'm hoping they find their groove. The program will also have a commentator dedicated to classic film, one guy focusing on social issues, and another doing something I can't remember.The best part of the program was Ebert's review of an animated movie about a man and his dog. He liked the movie, the clip looked good, and WARNER HERZOG narrated Ebet's review! Sweet lord, do I love that guy's voice!