Sng Grinder Thread

I am not quite sure on how to play bad aces, especially when ante's haven't kicked in yet...feral_cow_icon.gifDont have a cow, heres your converted handPokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($1.50+$0.25) t100/t200 - 5 playersButton: t1,945 (Hero)SB: t2,700 BB: t2,045 UTG: t850 CO: t6,335 Preflop: (t300) Hero is Button with :5c:3h (5 players)2 folds, Hero folds, SB foldsBB collected t200, BB showsWas this too tight a fold? feral_cow_icon.gifMilked from the teat of a feral cowPokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($1.50+$0.25) t100/t200 - 5 playersCO: t1,945 (Hero)Button: t2,600 SB: t2,145 BB: t850 UTG: t6,335 Preflop: (t300) Hero is CO with :qh:3h (5 players)UTG folds, Hero raises to t1945 and is all-in, 2 folds, BB calls t650 and is all-inFlop: (t1,800) :club::5c:ts (2 players)Turn: (t1,800) :D (2 players)River: (t1,800) :qh (2 players)Or was this too loose of a shove?Another hand I am not sure about is this one:feral_cow_icon.gifFeral Cow PokerPokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($1.50+$0.25) t200/t400 ante t25 - 8 playersHJ: t2,625 CO: t4,156 Button: t5,498 SB: t4,565 BB: t2,912 UTG: t2,610 UTG+1: t2,430 (Hero)MP: t2,204 Preflop: (t800) Hero is UTG+1 with :club::D (8 players)UTG folds, Hero raises to t2405 and is all-in, 6 foldsHero collected t1200If I were in a better position, or had less players at the table I probably wouldn't question this, but I was UTG 8 handed so I am not sure of myself in this spot.Something else I am not sure about is what to do if the blinds are about to go up...feral_cow_icon.gifFeral Cow Poker Hand ConverterPokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($1.50+$0.25) t200/t400 ante t25 - 7 playersButton: t5,250 SB: t7,655 BB: t1,120 UTG: t1,730 UTG+1: t6,710 HJ: t1,090 CO: t3,445 (Hero)Preflop: (t775) Hero is CO with :ts:jh (7 players)UTG raises to t800, 2 folds, Hero folds, Button folds, SB raises to t1200, BB folds, UTG raises to t1600, SB raises to t2000, UTG calls t105 and is all-inFlop: (t4,185) :D:4h:D (2 players)Turn: (t4,185) :4h (2 players)River: (t4,185) :jh (2 players)Someone raised, and I had 11 BB so I thought I should fold. On the other hand, on the next hand the blinds would be 200/400 and I would have only 5, so this bugged me a little bit.Sorry about posting so many hands. I just don't want to think something I'm doing is right only to find out it's wrong after doing it for a long time.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A3o/A5o are both pretty similar and pretty close. I don't mind folding both. I don't think shoving will net you much. With antes involved snap shove both with 10 BBs.QTs is good. You should be shoving reasonably wider than that here.44 is a good fold. I think effectively isoing vs his range there is a bad idea with so many to act.

A3o/A5o are both pretty similar and pretty close. I don't mind folding both. I don't think shoving will net you much. With antes involved snap shove both with 10 BBs.QTs is good. You should be shoving reasonably wider than that here.44 is a good fold. I think effectively isoing vs his range there is a bad idea with so many to act.
Yeah, I shove like any ace in position with less than 10 big blinds and antes, but when there are antes, I feel kinda lost and unsure of my range.Thanks for the QT, QT was near the bottom of my range there, so I guess I need to loosen up a bit. I would have been shoving any suited connector if I were later though, but I hate shoving hands from early position so I play pretty tight from there.Also, I have no idea what "isoing" means :club:

The UTG has 1700 chips and min raised to 800 so is effectively all in. His range may be super strong, it may not. He is never (almost never) folding to a reraise.If you jam 44 you are isolating (isoing) him and getting all in against his range. I think this is a bad spot to do it with 44 and only 9 BBs and a ton of people to act behind. Probably a little closer than I originally thought especially with a blind increase. I think 66 might be the borderline here against all but the nittiest villains.

Yeah, I shove like any ace in position with less than 10 big blinds and antes, but when there are antes, I feel kinda lost and unsure of my range.Thanks for the QT, QT was near the bottom of my range there, so I guess I need to loosen up a bit. I would have been shoving any suited connector if I were later though, but I hate shoving hands from early position so I play pretty tight from there.Also, I have no idea what "isoing" means :club:
Good stuff Cam, keep this up and you'll get better fast.Talked to jorn any?
Good stuff Cam, keep this up and you'll get better fast.Talked to jorn any?
Thanks :5c I've even stopped whining about bad beats... Well almost ;DNo, still away :3hferal_cow_icon.gifYour converted hand, now with more cowbell.PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($1.50+$0.25) t15/t30 - 8 playersSB: t1,695 BB: t1,910 UTG: t1,470 (Hero)UTG+1: t1,440 MP: t1,090 HJ: t1,465 CO: t1,190 Button: t1,320 Preflop: (t45) Hero is UTG with :D:qh (8 players)Hero raises to t120, 3 folds, CO calls t120, 3 foldsFlop: (t285) :ts:club::4h (2 players)Hero bets t180, CO calls t180Turn: (t645) :club: (2 players)Hero bets t390, CO calls t390River: (t1,425) :4h (2 players)Hero bets t780 and is all-in, CO calls t500 and is all-inWhat could I have done differently here? The reason I bet the river is because I figured if he had a queen, he would be anyways and I decided I wouldn't fold (even though I probably should, I would just tilt in all my games for thinking I'm a nit), I also thought if I bet and he had a ten, I could push him off it... Apparently not... feral_cow_icon.gifbeware the feral cow packs. they hunger.PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($1.50+$0.25) t100/t200 - 8 playersUTG+1: t3,150 MP: t1,475 HJ: t5,960 CO: t4,025 Button: t1,580 SB: t4,640 BB: t1,295 (Hero)UTG: t4,875 Preflop: (t300) Hero is BB with :jh:D (8 players)UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t200, MP calls t200, 3 folds, SB calls t100, Hero checksFlop: (t800) :ts:5c:D (4 players)SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 bets t600, MP raises to t1200, SB folds, Hero calls t1095 and is all-in, UTG+1 calls t600Turn: (t4,295) :D (3 players)UTG+1 checks, MP checksRiver: (t4,295) :3h (3 players)UTG+1 checks, MP checksShould I have shoved this? There were quite a few limpers so I figured I would be called by at least one person and be behind...Also, I know it's not like there's one answer for every situation, but what should I be shoving with 10BB without ante's in different positions, 6 handed and 9 handed? When I do shove something, I think it's the wrong play. When I fold something, I think it's the wrong play and it's driving me crazy
What could I have done differently here? The reason I bet the river is because I figured if he had a queen, he would be anyways and I decided I wouldn't fold (even though I probably should, I would just tilt in all my games for thinking I'm a nit), I also thought if I bet and he had a ten, I could push him off it... Apparently not... Should I have shoved this? There were quite a few limpers so I figured I would be called by at least one person and be behind...Also, I know it's not like there's one answer for every situation, but what should I be shoving with 10BB without ante's in different positions, 6 handed and 9 handed? When I do shove something, I think it's the wrong play. When I fold something, I think it's the wrong play and it's driving me crazy
Hand 1 - I'm probably checking the river and re-evaluating. The only thing he's betting that you beat is a bluff and they're not bluffing much at $1.50. If he called your turn bet, he likely has a Q or a T.Hand 2 - Shove preflop? No way. With KJo I'm happy to see a free flop and hoping to hit something big like you did. Without seeing the result, it sounds like you lost to a limper with a bad hand, which means the results are influencing how you think about the hand, which would be bad.
Hand 1 - I'm probably checking the river and re-evaluating. The only thing he's betting that you beat is a bluff and they're not bluffing much at $1.50. If he called your turn bet, he likely has a Q or a T.Hand 2 - Shove preflop? No way. With KJo I'm happy to see a free flop and hoping to hit something big like you did. Without seeing the result, it sounds like you lost to a limper with a bad hand, which means the results are influencing how you think about the hand, which would be bad.
About hand one, I don't know if I'm crazy, but I am constantly seeing people bluff. Acekob says they are super tight in the micro's as well but I keep seeing people getting called light, as do I. That's when I start to turn on caps lock and talk at someone in msn about someone calling with T6s and flopping a straight after I shoved KK with 11BB.About hand 2, I won it, but I thought maybe shoving would be better since I wouldn't have so many people in the pot that could also hit something big.
Any Ax here would be a huge spew.edit - in a vacuumDid a little pokerstoving and A3o is about as good as J8/J9s to jam here. Slightly better.
When there's 1000 chips in the pot (1/4 of our chipstack) it's not spewy at all. If it was just 200/400 blinds I'd probably agree, but the antes allow us to open up a bit more. After MP I'm probably folding A2-A5, but I'm a bit nitty by nature.
About hand one, I don't know if I'm crazy, but I am constantly seeing people bluff. Acekob says they are super tight in the micro's as well but I keep seeing people getting called light, as do I. That's when I start to turn on caps lock and talk at someone in msn about someone calling with T6s and flopping a straight after I shoved KK with 11BB.About hand 2, I won it, but I thought maybe shoving would be better since I wouldn't have so many people in the pot that could also hit something big.
1 - I don't think they're tight at the micro's, but by the turn they're generally calling down with top pair and a weak kicker. Sometimes I do see some ridiculous bluffs, but not very often on a board that pairs twice.2 - You're getting called a lot by any pocket pair, many aces, and KQ. For some ridiculous reason micro players have taken to limp/pushing KQ and AT-AK, especially later in sng's. KJ is weak in general, and given that you're going to have to at least pair to have a chance to win the hand, I'd only push at a really weak table....and only if I felt the desire to really gamble on a hand. You were right when you posted the hand that you're getting called by somebody.

When the blinds are at 100/200 + 25 ante, I often get into trouble because I will be folding because I have a decent enough stack, and then the blinds double and I become too short for my liking. How should I change my range when we are a few hands from 200/400? Should I continue playing as I usually do, or widen my range a bit so I don't find myself having to push really wide? If the later, what should I reasonably be adding to my range?

An optimal push chart I'm looking at says44+ A7s+ A5s-A2s ATo+ K9s+ KJo+ QTs+ JTs T9s so I wasn't far off. Gotta remember those A2-A5s . I don't think it's too bad to leave a couple of those hands out.
I like this range too. Although what I piled was not in this range.
feral_cow_icon.gifFeral Cow Poker Hand ConverterPokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($1.50+$0.25) t200/t400 ante t25 - 8 playersSB: t2,760 BB: t4,625 UTG: t325 UTG+1: t2,880 (Hero)MP: t10,635 HJ: t1,660 CO: t1,655 Button: t2,460 Preflop: (t800) Hero is UTG+1 with :ts:club: (8 players)UTG folds, Hero raises to t2855 and is all-in, 6 foldsHero collected t1200Pushing this left a bad taste in my mouth, was this too loose?
feral_cow_icon.gifFeral Cow Poker Hand ConverterPokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($1.00+$0.10) t100/t200 ante t25 - 8 playersBB: t4,590 UTG: t7,062 UTG+1: t5,195 MP: t8,646 HJ: t5,085 CO: t2,078 (Hero)Button: t5,490 SB: t6,507 Preflop: (t500) Hero is CO with :ts:club: (8 players)UTG raises to t400, 3 folds, Hero folds, 3 foldsUTG collected t700I was running horrible in the 18 mans so I thought I would play something else, not that it helped... In any case, I reluctantly folded here. It seems that in the micro's, there is always someone who is going to call and it turn's these into a lottery, and this wasn't a hand I wanted to be called with, or should I have pushed it anyways?
I am also curious about something. What is a respectable ROI for various tournaments and sizes? I am currently playing the 1.75 18 man turbos, and although I don't have anywhere near a good enough sample size to determine my ROI properly, I would still like to know what is average.
I realize I'm answering an older post, but...I've been grinding the 18 man's for awhile in my spare time (I have a real job). Anyway, go to www.pokerprolabs.com and lookup a guy named "jogden139". I used to see him at my $6.50's. Then I saw him when I bumped up to the $16's. Then I stopped seeing him. In 30 days, he has grinded (ground?) his way up from the $1.75's all the way to the $38's. His average ROI is 10%, but it probably changes based on the different levels. He made $4,000 in the last 7 days. (!!!)I've grinded my way up from the $1.75's as well (18 man's), but at a much slower pace. Anyway, because the rake is so high in the $1.75's, I'd be pretty happy with a ROI above 10%. 15+% is certainly achievable. I think I'm about 17%. Your ROI may increase as you move up, just due to the difference in fee's, but obviously so will your swings. The $6.50's are a good deal, imho, and the $16's are the sweet spot. Just make sure you're rolled properly. It's not hard to get $200+ swings at the $6.50 level. As always, use good bankroll management.
I realize I'm answering an older post, but...I've been grinding the 18 man's for awhile in my spare time (I have a real job). Anyway, go to www.pokerprolabs.com and lookup a guy named "jogden139". I used to see him at my $6.50's. Then I saw him when I bumped up to the $16's. Then I stopped seeing him. In 30 days, he has grinded (ground?) his way up from the $1.75's all the way to the $38's. His average ROI is 10%, but it probably changes based on the different levels. He made $4,000 in the last 7 days. (!!!)I've grinded my way up from the $1.75's as well (18 man's), but at a much slower pace. Anyway, because the rake is so high in the $1.75's, I'd be pretty happy with a ROI above 10%. 15+% is certainly achievable. I think I'm about 17%. Your ROI may increase as you move up, just due to the difference in fee's, but obviously so will your swings. The $6.50's are a good deal, imho, and the $16's are the sweet spot. Just make sure you're rolled properly. It's not hard to get $200+ swings at the $6.50 level. As always, use good bankroll management.
How did you handle playing the 1.75s? I seem to be having quite a few problems. I usually get to like the top 6 at least, but I keep getting called down light, and if I am shoving a wide range I don't really want to be called, but even when I am shoving only premium hands, since I get called so often I eventually get beaten by a 3 outer or something and get eliminated. If I play too aggressively that's what happens, but if I tighten up I get blinded down, and I am having trouble finding a balance.I have like a $1100 bankroll I built up playing on another site, with 450$ left there and 600 ready to be deposited anywhere, and only like 50$ on stars. I just want to get used to playing SNG's before I start moving up.
feral_cow_icon.gifFeral Cow Poker Hand ConverterPokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($1.50+$0.25) t200/t400 ante t25 - 8 playersSB: t2,760 BB: t4,625 UTG: t325 UTG+1: t2,880 (Hero)MP: t10,635 HJ: t1,660 CO: t1,655 Button: t2,460 Preflop: (t800) Hero is UTG+1 with :ts:club: (8 players)UTG folds, Hero raises to t2855 and is all-in, 6 foldsHero collected t1200Pushing this left a bad taste in my mouth, was this too loose?
Its a tad bit on the loose side considering your position. I think 66+ AT+ from this spot would be a little more fitting. You're low, but not crazy low and the key is there's 5 stacks smaller than you.
Its a tad bit on the loose side considering your position. I think 66+ AT+ from this spot would be a little more fitting. You're low, but not crazy low and the key is there's 5 stacks smaller than you.
I keep forgetting to pay attention to other people's stack sizes and then when I get called because of it, I get mad at myself :<
I keep forgetting to pay attention to other people's stack sizes and then when I get called because of it, I get mad at myself :<
It's definitely not a horrible shove. I think it's really close.As for watching stack sizes, that is VERY important, especially approaching the bubble.
It really depends on the type of tournament that is. If it's anythng bigger than 45 man I think that's a get in. Close in an 18 and can see a fold in a 9 man given stacks.
Was a 45 :club: