Religimyth...

sounds like an argument for calvinism : )
I'm fairly surprised that you know what Calvinism is. Color me impressed.
  • Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Royal Tour: Religion is dumb!vbnautilus: I agree, but your arguments aren't well articulated.Royal Tour: That's why religion is such a joke!
well. no this was close.. but mmm.. no.more like.RT: religion is dumbvbnautilus: I agree, but your points are all over the placeRT: who cares.. religion is dumb and so are the followers, they wont notice the difference anyways.
For one thing, BG is not Catholic, so I don't see why he would be invested in how the Catholic church spends their money. But be honest, no it does not. On the contrary the idea of a church doing just that would seem rather silly. Why do you think the entire purpose of the church is to cure cancer? Clearly the church does not see its role as primarily a fund generator for scientific research. The church believes that the things it does are in line with its purpose. If you want to start a charity to cure cancer, go ahead. That is not what a christian church is. That's not the only way to help your fellow man. But, they do indeed invest money in those things, and studies have shown that religious people donate more money to charity than non-religious people. I don't think their track record on helping the homeless is the achilles heel of religion.
Isnt BG Christian? I figured since more than half of Christians follow the Catholic Church that it would be an ok assumption. and he never corrected me for assuming this. what's his religion then??as for the 2nd part.. The catholic church is thousands of years old, and the most wealthy organization in world. (i think it still is.)The catholic church came to be waaaaay before any scientific thinking. Its a franchise. They thrived for a very long time making money on something so crazy.No overhead, no refunds. Its genius really!. and your line "Clearly the church does not see its role as primarily a fund generator for scientific research. The church believes that the things it does are in line with its purpose. " is how they managed to build churches out of marble. when i was in rome this year, i was amazed at the amount of money sunk into the vatican. just gross
they're unfocused and rambling (no offense) but he's headed in the right direction on some points.
In regards to the bold : Why JoeyJoeJoe and Vbnaut care is beyond me..unfocused ramblings are what attracted BG and others to follow the bible in the first place
well. no this was close.. but mmm.. no.more like.RT: religion is dumbvbnautilus: I agree, but your points are all over the placeRT: who cares.. religion is dumb and so are the followers, they wont notice the difference anyways.
For what it's worth, the only line you significantly changed is the line where I used an actual quote of yours.
For what it's worth, the only line you significantly changed is the line where I used an actual quote of yours.
the problem lies in the context of what you wrote. You trying to capitalize on this is lame. and you know its lame, because the quote you applied didnt directly answer the previous statement from vbaunt.Its easy to do.

here JJJRT - God should show some cool god shitJJJ - I'm wondering about this. What exactly would have to happen for you to believe? RT - I think if god was like the bible describes then the cool shit would be standard throughout our lives, since it would have been happenig for thousands of yearsJJJ - (ignore any responses to this)see

RT: who cares.. religion is dumb and so are the followers, they wont notice the difference anyways.doubt this is necessary
Its not necessary. but is it offensive? like honestly?One thing i find offending are people who will turn violent when you dispute or question their beliefs or their God...yet, they can openly scream into a mega phone about how anyone who doesnt accept their beliefs will burn in hell.I had to listen to some Kook outside the Bellagio rant about jesus christ and how we were all going to burn in hell.shit, if i went up to a bunch of strangers and said Yo burn in hell!! they would become somewhat defensive.. but if the context is for "religious reasons" its ok to just let him preach??

Well yeah I think saying that anyone who believes any type of religion is too stupid to putyours or their thoughts together or debate a topic is pretty offensive.All people who believe in the christina god are not the same and dont conduct themselves the same way so for you to group the guy out of the bellagio with the religious ppl in this thread is insane. more insane than you claim BG to be

the problem lies in the context of what you wrote. You trying to capitalize on this is lame. and you know its lame, because the quote you applied didnt directly answer the previous statement from vbaunt.
The quote I applied didn't directly answer the previous statement from vb?Are you saying that what you wrote wasn't replying to what you quoted? I mean, you can see how I might have misunderstood.
here JJJRT - God should show some cool god shitJJJ - I'm wondering about this. What exactly would have to happen for you to believe? RT - I think if god was like the bible describes then the cool shit would be standard throughout our lives, since it would have been happenig for thousands of yearsJJJ - (ignore any responses to this)see
I asked a question and you answered it. I think your scenario of having "the holy ghost" present at all churches is a little odd, but I don't have any problems with it. I'm not sure what you think you just did.I swear I'm not trying to be intentionally obtuse, but I just have a hard time trying to figure out what your point is most of the time and it ends up just looking silly to me, so I can't resist poking fun.
I swear I'm not trying to be intentionally obtuse, but I just have a hard time trying to figure out what your point is most of the time and it ends up just looking silly to me, so I can't resist poking fun.
I disagree, i believe you're trying to portray a clear lack of understanding. otherwise you wouldnt quote my posts, reply to them, then say you're trying to figure out my point.my point was my OP. So "whats my point?" that religion is a myth caused by pre scientific thinking? that all stories in the bible are fallacyis that good enough?? can you take everything i said after my OP as just ramblings now? is that what you're getting at? i dunno. I have trouble staying serious in religious debates.
Well yeah I think saying that anyone who believes any type of religion is too stupid to putyours or their thoughts together or debate a topic is pretty offensive.All people who believe in the christina god are not the same and dont conduct themselves the same way so for you to group the guy out of the bellagio with the religious ppl in this thread is insane. more insane than you claim BG to be
Is it insane?lol kidding.I didnt say i was grouping them together.. I was pointing out the sorta double standard.How a religious person can tell you you're going to hell cuz of the way you live your life but if I'm in here telling people their stupid to believe the bible, I'm all the sudden a jerk.and The guy at the Bellagio was an extreme case obviously, but it doesnt change the fact that any christian will tell you you're going to burn in hell for not accepting Jesus Christ
Is it insane?lol kidding.I didnt say i was grouping them together.. I was pointing out the sorta double standard.How a religious person can tell you you're going to hell cuz of the way you live your life but if I'm in here telling people their stupid to believe the bible, I'm all the sudden a jerk.and The guy at the Bellagio was an extreme case obviously, but it doesnt change the fact that any christian will tell you you're going to burn in hell for not accepting Jesus Christ
yea if you ask them, just like if you ask me im gonna say when you die youre gonna sit in a hole in the ground.its just a difference of opinion and should be respected to the point where people can still be smart/respected and disagree with you
Also, if we can't have the universe without God, where exactly did he come from? Godfather? Supergod?
actually, The God that created our heaven and earth was adopted. He was raised as a foster God and thats why he's so jealous and never around when you need him.we really did get the shit end of the stick
can you take everything i said after my OP as just ramblings now? is that what you're getting at?
I don't have any specific disagreement about the OP; it just seems like your way of trying to back up your main point could've been done better. I'm more on your side than against you.If you're wondering why I don't argue with BG or crow in the same way, it's because they've been at it for a long time with the same stuff over and over again, so I just stay out of it.
yea if you ask them, just like if you ask me im gonna say when you die youre gonna sit in a hole in the ground.its just a difference of opinion and should be respected to the point where people can still be smart/respected and disagree with you
i know, but i do find it offensive. mostly because I dont know the answers. I have no clue if there is an after life or not.. No one does. so on the off chance that hell exists.. its kinda insulting that someone is telling me i'm going to burn there.
I don't know why I decided to come in this forum for like the 2nd time ever, but since I did...I was going to say something similar to this actually. Basically that God sure does seem to have a lot of human-like hangups that have developed over the years. How does that work exactly?Also, if we can't have the universe without God, where exactly did he come from? Godfather? Supergod?
We were created in his image.
Isnt BG Christian? I figured since more than half of Christians follow the Catholic Church that it would be an ok assumption. and he never corrected me for assuming this. what's his religion then??
He's Christian, but not Catholic. Less than a third of American Christians are Catholic.
In regards to the bold : Why JoeyJoeJoe and Vbnaut care is beyond me..unfocused ramblings are what attracted BG and others to follow the bible in the first place
I guess why you don't care is beyond me. But part of the reason I care is because one of the main things that I see as distinguishing my side of this from the religious side is the careful use of reason and logic. To accuse the religious people of poor reasoning and to do so in a way that doesn't rely on careful argument undermines the whole position you are arguing for. For instance, this bolded sentence is baffling to me. If you think they were attracted to the bible for its unfocused ramblings, then you presumably think that unfocused ramblings are not a good thing. How could "they do it too" possibly be a defense of unfocused ramblings?
Its not necessary. but is it offensive? like honestly?One thing i find offending are people who will turn violent when you dispute or question their beliefs or their God...yet, they can openly scream into a mega phone about how anyone who doesnt accept their beliefs will burn in hell.I had to listen to some Kook outside the Bellagio rant about jesus christ and how we were all going to burn in hell.shit, if i went up to a bunch of strangers and said Yo burn in hell!! they would become somewhat defensive.. but if the context is for "religious reasons" its ok to just let him preach??
Your view on 'Christians' is pretty awesome. That reminds me, I need to grab my megaphone and head to the mall.
P.S.. - anyone who doesnt see that Crow manages to pwn all of these religious threads is blind or chooses not to accept that fact.There isnt anything anyone can say that trumps him.
lol. This post is pretty funny. I especially like the word: pwn. It's so cute.
i know, but i do find it offensive. mostly because I dont know the answers. I have no clue if there is an after life or not.. No one does. so on the off chance that hell exists.. its kinda insulting that someone is telling me i'm going to burn there.
You're going to burn in hell.
I guess why you don't care is beyond me. But part of the reason I care is because one of the main things that I see as distinguishing my side of this from the religious side is the careful use of reason and logic. To accuse the religious people of poor reasoning and to do so in a way that doesn't rely on careful argument undermines the whole position you are arguing for. For instance, this bolded sentence is baffling to me. If you think they were attracted to the bible for its unfocused ramblings, then you presumably think that unfocused ramblings are not a good thing. How could "they do it too" possibly be a defense of unfocused ramblings?
That's right RT, you idiot. You just got PWNED by vb because you don't use logic and reasoning, just like us! wait, what?
You can all go to hell for ignoring my post! Even though it was the last post of the last page.
i appreciated it. god certainly is described as having human-like hangups in the OT, such as jealousy, racial favoritism, and violence as a first resort. he's apparently mellowed with age.
I've always thought this was fairly obvious. Religous people get a major pass for all sorts of insane actions. It's not likeyou see athiest all over town ranting and and acting scary.
P.S.. - anyone who doesnt see that Crow manages to pwn all of these religious threads is blind or chooses not to accept that fact.There isnt anything anyone can say that trumps him.
He and vb and are both calm and logical and well versed in these discusions. I respect them immensely.
See, that's kind of the point. BG can be constantly rude and obnoxious saying things like, "Little Dickie Dawkins" but the moment you resort to acting like them (BG/ insult Christians) in any way everyone is ready to jump down your throat. Like I said, they get a pass. It's mean to be insulting to Christians for there stupidity, but okay to be apalled at someone rational. It does irk me.
We were created in his image. He's Christian, but not Catholic. Less than a third of American Christians are Catholic. I guess why you don't care is beyond me. But part of the reason I care is because one of the main things that I see as distinguishing my side of this from the religious side is the careful use of reason and logic. To accuse the religious people of poor reasoning and to do so in a way that doesn't rely on careful argument undermines the whole position you are arguing for. For instance, this bolded sentence is baffling to me. If you think they were attracted to the bible for its unfocused ramblings, then you presumably think that unfocused ramblings are not a good thing. How could "they do it too" possibly be a defense of unfocused ramblings?
Yeah, I agree that the ultimate best path is rational discourse but difficult because of the immense patience it requires when you are dealing with someone that ingnores logic like their little sister.
Your view on 'Christians' is pretty awesome. That reminds me, I need to grab my megaphone and head to the mall.lol. This post is pretty funny. I especially like the word: pwn. It's so cute.You're going to burn in hell. That's right RT, you idiot. You just got PWNED by vb because you don't use logic and reasoning, just like us! wait, what?
But you, you I want to have your Christian babies.
For instance, this bolded sentence is baffling to me. If you think they were attracted to the bible for its unfocused ramblings, then you presumably think that unfocused ramblings are not a good thing. How could "they do it too" possibly be a defense of unfocused ramblings?
No. its like quail hunting. think about it.

Been to Vegas for a gig.1st: Christians don't say that you go to hell for your actions, you go to hell because you are a sinner. Some Christians say some wacko stuff, pretending that all Christians are like your worst examples is wrong.2nd: God isn't required to show you Himself everyday in order for you to believe in Him. For many reasons, not least of which is you are the created thing, He is the Creator, you don't make the rules, He does. Once you place this silly caveat that God must perform how you think He should in order for you to believe, you have decided that you know better than God how He should do things. He had all the information you need written down and He made sure that he protected those words for all generations since. You deciding to not believe in it is on you, not Him.3rd: Many of you guys are so full of "Christians are X" that you become the vary caricature of what you think you are accusing us of. You are so closed minded that you end up posting nothing but stupid little gotcha points that make almost no sense, have no logical reasoning behind it, and really show you as the shallow thinkers that you really are.4th: When the day comes that crow can pwn me ( pwn lol ) then I will stop posting here. So far his extent of pwning has been to site his vast superior knowledge of what large groups of people think, know and believe with no better reasoning than he thinks everyone agrees with him.5th: When 3-4 people who are on your side of an argument tell you that you are sounding crazy..you should step away from the keyboard and post in entertainment where your opinion is less telling of how little you actually know about anything.