How Do You Put Someone On A Hand?

Hello.What are the step by step... steps, (LOL!) you take, when putting someone on a hand? What factors go into consideration? If I'm being vague, please forgive me, and I'll do my best to clarify any confusion. If there is already a post on this, you can send me a link, or comment either way. Thank you.-Don

Hello.What are the step by step... steps, (LOL!) you take, when putting someone on a hand? What factors go into consideration? If I'm being vague, please forgive me, and I'll do my best to clarify any confusion. If there is already a post on this, you can send me a link, or comment either way. Thank you.-Don
I start first by recalling how much they like to raise preflop ie 4bb aj -ak or 6bb 1010-AA The rest should be done by feel or again recalling how they have played certain hands in the past ie do they check raise drawing handsGood practice is to guess in your head what they could have before their cards are exposed on a contested pot. Also get in a habit of observing pots you aren't involved in, watching hands played closely

Its mainly a case of deduction, going through all possibilities and eliminating the ones that don't fit with what the opponent has done

Think of some hands, and consider why you got to where you did. Here's an easy one that is used in like every poker book, set over set when you're supposed to fold on the river;e.g. we're 200 BBs deep, a tight player raises pf, and you call on the button w/55. He's aggressive postflop but not out of line, especially not deep-stacked. Fairly transparent player, which is why he's always featured in poker books.Flop is A52r.He check/calls a 2/3-sized betTurn a deuce. You have a fullhouse nice!!!!Both of you checkRiver is a queenYou bet ~1/2 the pot and he shoves his whole stackSo what does he have? AK? 22? AQ? Airball? You're on AP and he has 55, too?Well think about this, he's a tight player who raises pf, so you begin to assign him something of a range. Probably got pairs and big cards in his range, every so often some suited connector. That's why you called pf w/55 because of the implied odds (though you didn't count on Full Tilt setting you up w/some heinous set over set 200 BB deep bullshit). Anyway you know that he's the c/betting type of player, too, so when he check calls OTF it allows you to narrow his range even further; he probably doesn't have air like KQ/QJs because he would've bet/folded them. They have no showdown value and almost zero equity; he just wants to take the pot down. Same goes for his really weak pairs like 44/66. So he's probably got a decent pair with some showdown value, and is scared of the ace, or he has himself flopped three aces, as this is the classic slowplay line. You can't really put him on AK/AQ because he would bet those OTF looking to extract value from worse pairs or weaker aces. You can't even put him on 22 because he would've bet it on the flop again looking to get value from worse hands, especially a big ace like AK. AA or QQ...both make sense. Either he flopped AA on a super dry board looking to slowplay, or he backdoored into queens full by making a defensive play on the flop. And you know, too, to eliminate the bluff because, as a postflop nit, he's not capable of bluffing for a 200 BB stack. Obviously a contrived example, and it never works out this easily in reality (tho a month ago I DID fold AJ on an JJKQx board to a river c/shove when my opponent took a very similar line) but you should get the idea. Usually it's just basic stuff like one of those pruning trees; can my opponent make moves; if no, then fold; if yes, then would he bet an overpair on the flop; if yes, then call

Think of some hands, and consider why you got to where you did. Here's an easy one that is used in like every poker book, set over set when you're supposed to fold on the river;e.g. we're 200 BBs deep, a tight player raises pf, and you call on the button w/55. He's aggressive postflop but not out of line, especially not deep-stacked. Fairly transparent player, which is why he's always featured in poker books.Flop is A52r.He check/calls a 2/3-sized betTurn a deuce. You have a fullhouse nice!!!!Both of you checkRiver is a queenYou bet ~1/2 the pot and he shoves his whole stackSo what does he have? AK? 22? AQ? Airball? You're on AP and he has 55, too?Well think about this, he's a tight player who raises pf, so you begin to assign him something of a range. Probably got pairs and big cards in his range, every so often some suited connector. That's why you called pf w/55 because of the implied odds (though you didn't count on Full Tilt setting you up w/some heinous set over set 200 BB deep bullshit). Anyway you know that he's the c/betting type of player, too, so when he check calls OTF it allows you to narrow his range even further; he probably doesn't have air like KQ/QJs because he would've bet/folded them. They have no showdown value and almost zero equity; he just wants to take the pot down. Same goes for his really weak pairs like 44/66. So he's probably got a decent pair with some showdown value, and is scared of the ace, or he has himself flopped three aces, as this is the classic slowplay line. You can't really put him on AK/AQ because he would bet those OTF looking to extract value from worse pairs or weaker aces. You can't even put him on 22 because he would've bet it on the flop again looking to get value from worse hands, especially a big ace like AK. AA or QQ...both make sense. Either he flopped AA on a super dry board looking to slowplay, or he backdoored into queens full by making a defensive play on the flop. And you know, too, to eliminate the bluff because, as a postflop nit, he's not capable of bluffing for a 200 BB stack. Obviously a contrived example, and it never works out this easily in reality (tho a month ago I DID fold AJ on an JJKQx board to a river c/shove when my opponent took a very similar line) but you should get the idea. Usually it's just basic stuff like one of those pruning trees; can my opponent make moves; if no, then fold; if yes, then would he bet an overpair on the flop; if yes, then call
i'm pretty sure you must be reading my hand history because i sure as hell know what he hasanother thing i like to think of with bet sizing is what is the bet trying to say to you?do they want you to call it and put money in the pot or are they trying to get you to go away? the river shove on scare cards (3rd flush card etc) can cause problems sometimes, you'll have to find out if they are the type to overbet the pot as a bluff or not, if they do it more than once i'll start slowplaying hands against them
Why does my opponent choose THIS ACTION on THIS STREET with THIS BOARD against ME?
Why does my opponent choose THIS ACTION on THIS STREET with THIS BOARD against ME?
Cool! I like that, thanks.

go buy the theory of poker by david sklansky. a little hint to help you get started, don't usually put somebody on a hand. put them on a "range" of possible hands that they could have given how the hand has played up to this point figuring in other information about them like previous hands. every action narrows this range.

Once you can determine a range of hands your opponents is likely to have preflop (based on position, preflop action, percentage of hands they open with, etc), you can use ^^ to help you narrow that range of hands. Another book I would recommend players read is...Phil Gordon's Little Green Book. No, I do not think Gordon's a genius or even a great player. In fact, every time I read that book I find myself disagreeing with more of it. But, it is written in such a way that it asks you to think about why you play poker the way you do. I find after playing tens of thousands of hands, I can find myself drifting into autopilot mode. I find Gordon's book, among many others, to help me think critically about my game again and help me make better situational decisions rather than going with what I think is "standard."Mostly, reading hands takes A LOT of practice, concentration and emotional detachment. Most players can read hands very easily when they're not involved in the hand themselves for this reason.Yeah, and go buy go buy the theory of poker by david sklansky.
go buy the theory of poker by david sklansky. a little hint to help you get started, don't usually put somebody on a hand. put them on a "range" of possible hands that they could have given how the hand has played up to this point figuring in other information about them like previous hands. every action narrows this range.
I have that book. I found it VERY overwhelming though when I first got it. I'm taking another stab at it now. So far so good, but I read during breaks at work, so I haven't gotten too far yet, so we'll see. I hear a lot of good feedback on this book so far, so I'm sure I'll get a lot of help here on the forums if I have a problem understanding some of the material. Thanks.
Once you can determine a range of hands your opponents is likely to have preflop (based on position, preflop action, percentage of hands they open with, etc), you can use ^^ to help you narrow that range of hands. Another book I would recommend players read is...Phil Gordon's Little Green Book. No, I do not think Gordon's a genius or even a great player. In fact, every time I read that book I find myself disagreeing with more of it. But, it is written in such a way that it asks you to think about why you play poker the way you do. I find after playing tens of thousands of hands, I can find myself drifting into autopilot mode. I find Gordon's book, among many others, to help me think critically about my game again and help me make better situational decisions rather than going with what I think is "standard."Mostly, reading hands takes A LOT of practice, concentration and emotional detachment. Most players can read hands very easily when they're not involved in the hand themselves for this reason.Yeah, and go buy go buy the theory of poker by david sklansky.
THIS.So many players look down at their cards and see their hand and make a judgement about what they hold and think nothing about why the opponent is doing what he is doing. Every time I play, I see people retardedly go broke with AA on the turn, on a ridiculous board, because they look down and see one ace and another ace, and forget to ask themselves how the hell it all could have gone so wrong? And they never see the answer right there on the board in front of them.
I have that book. I found it VERY overwhelming though when I first got it. I'm taking another stab at it now. So far so good, but I read during breaks at work, so I haven't gotten too far yet, so we'll see. I hear a lot of good feedback on this book so far, so I'm sure I'll get a lot of help here on the forums if I have a problem understanding some of the material. Thanks.
you need to read it like you would read a textbook from school.