***official New York Yankees Thread***

How is Pettitte on 3 days rest?
The last time he pitched on short rest was 126 regular season starts ago. I think they said it was '03 so I don't know how relevant it is.There is no reason to feel bad taking 2/3 in Philly and coming home up 3/2. Before the series started I though we won 2 at home, 1 on the road, then would close it out back @ home. The almost comeback made me crazy.
  • Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that didn't work.But you're right, we should still feel good taking two games at Philly. And we should especially feel good that we will no longer have to deal with Lee in this series. Pettitte will be find on 3 days rest. He's old, but he doesn't depend on overpowering the opposition, he's more about control and working the entire strike zone. As long as he maintains control, he'll do fine.Also, are we at the point where we're just no longer going to pitch to Utley? I say so. That guys is a monster. If the Phillies win this series, he's their MVP, even above Lee.Speaking of which, as of now, who is the Yankees' MVP? It won't be CC again after he lost game 1 (even though he pitched well). It won't be A-Rod, though he's been good too. I say we give it to Mariano. Going two innings to seal the deal at home, and then saving the two games in Philly were huge. He just completely changes how we plan out a ball game.

It won't be A-Rod, though he's been good too. I say we give it to Mariano. Going two innings to seal the deal at home, and then saving the two games in Philly were huge. He just completely changes how we plan out a ball game.
Come on.Why can't you give it to ARod? 919 OPS with 6 RBI's including some huge hits. Sounds like an MVP to me.I'd be ok with giving it to Damon too.But, you know, there's still at least one more game to go, so that can still change things.
Come on.Why can't you give it to ARod? 919 OPS with 6 RBI's including some huge hits. Sounds like an MVP to me.
Oh, he has 6 RBI's? I missed most of the game on Halloween night where he hit his big home run, and he didn't do well in the first two games at home, so that probably biased me against him. Okay, fine, give it to A-Rod.
Oh, he has 6 RBI's? I missed most of the game on Halloween night where he hit his big home run, and he didn't do well in the first two games at home, so that probably biased me against him. Okay, fine, give it to A-Rod.
It seems like all of his hits have scored runs.It's about time Jeter shared his magical clutch juice with him. Although maybe he shared a little too much and didn't save himself some last night.The whole Jeter/ARod media handling has me flummoxed. I'm actually a Jeter fan and I hate ARod and yet the way the media glorifies Jeter and kills ARod makes me want to do the opposite.

I know Damon has been a reoccuring pain in the ass...I don't know if that makes him MVP or or not. Just don't go counting the votes yet cause I still think you are going to get 2 more games to chose from.

Pettitte will be find on 3 days rest. He's old, but he doesn't depend on overpowering the opposition, he's more about control and working the entire strike zone. As long as he maintains control, he'll do fine.Also, are we at the point where we're just no longer going to pitch to Utley? I say so. That guys is a monster. If the Phillies win this series, he's their MVP, even above Lee.
Pettitte VS Pedro is an awesome match up. Two old guys with balls...got to love that. Utley is the best hitter on the Phils. Howard when locked in is scary good but Utley is one of the most underrated players in the game in my opinion. I know he is an all-star and all that but day in and day out he is just a stud. Calling Ryan Howard, there is a game in the Bronx Wed night...maybe you could make it there?
Pettitte VS Pedro is an awesome match up. Two old guys with balls...got to love that. Utley is the best hitter on the Phils. Howard when locked in is scary good but Utley is one of the most underrated players in the game in my opinion. I know he is an all-star and all that but day in and day out he is just a stud. Calling Ryan Howard, there is a game in the Bronx Wed night...maybe you could make it there?
On the broadcast last night, Sutcliffe was commenting on how Howard looked to be getting a better look at pitches and started saying "Look out, Yankees". Then Howard swung through a breaking ball down low and K'd...That being said: Go PHILS!
And we should especially feel good that we will no longer have to deal with Lee in this series.
I will be shocked if you don't see Lee again if there is a game 7. If it is a close game I think you will see him in the 8th and or 9th...don't know if that is good or bad but that is what i see.
I will be shocked if you don't see Lee again if there is a game 7. If it is a close game I think you will see him in the 8th and or 9th...don't know if that is good or bad but that is what i see.
Yeah, in the 2001 Randy Johnson role.If I were the Phillies, I'd rather have Lee throwing righthanded than see Lidge again.
Yeah, in the 2001 Randy Johnson role.If I were the Phillies, I'd rather have Lee throwing righthanded than see Lidge again.
PleasePutLidgeInPleasePutLidgeIn

Pedro answering a question about Red Sox fans rooting for him tonight:“It wouldn’t surprise me at all,’’ said a smiling Martinez. “I know they don’t like the Yankees to win, not even in Nintendo games. And knowing that I am part of Boston, I consider myself a Bostonian . . . I’m pretty sure that every Boston fan out there can feel proud that I’m going to try to beat the Yankees, and I’m going to give just the same effort I always did for them. They’re special fans, and they will always have my respect.’’http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...t_for_martinez/

The Yankees were Pedro’s daddy when Grady left him on the mound too long in 2003. Tonight Pedro has a chance to make everything right. All these years later, he’s still pitching for the Red Sox.
Note, I think the Yankees are probably a decent favorite to win tonight. I would still bet on Pedro, but only if I was getting odds :club:. He's not the same pitcher as he was in my sig, but I still love the guy.
“I know they don’t like the Yankees to win, not even in Nintendo games."
This amused me.I'll be rooting for Pedro and the Phillies, but I wouldn't hate it if Pettitte won in a pitching duel.Even if he is a cheater.
My friend said if the Yankees played the Osama Bin Ladens he would put on a turban and root for the Bin Ladens
Your friend hijacked that line. Except it was originally said using Al Qaeda. Whatev.I cant wait for this game. Everyone is talking about whether Pettite will be able to pitch well tonight, in my mind Pedro is much more of a liability, if he gets knocked out in the 4th or 5th, the Phillies have very little chance to win. Also I think ARod is going to have a very special night, and win himself an MVP.
I cant wait for this game. Everyone is talking about whether Pettite will be able to pitch well tonight, in my mind Pedro is much more of a liability, if he gets knocked out in the 4th or 5th, the Phillies have very little chance to win. Also I think ARod is going to have a very special night, and win himself an MVP.
I can see both of them going six innings and giving up four or five runs. And neither bullpen (except Mariano) has been particularly inspiring.If ARod wins the MVP, I want him to take his cue from Maradona who said this after a big win:"To all those who doubted us, they can suck it and they can keep on sucking it." Seriously, how great would that be?"Congratulations, Alex. How does it feel to get your first ring and be named World Series MVP on top of that?""I just want to say to all those who have disparaged me in the past...you can suck it and you can keep on sucking it."*walks away*
I can see both of them going six innings and giving up four or five runs.
Have you seen the Stats for pitchers on 3 days rest in the World Series? Has you seen Pettitte stats on throwing on 5 days rest VS 4 days rest this year? Tonight he is going on 3 days...you may want to keep your time open tomorrow night!!!
Every night is a very special night when you look this good - details-a-rod.jpg
old fashion +1

Not that these numbers are terribly relevant to tonight's game, but I thought it would be interesting to compare career playoff stats anyways:Pedro:6-3 in 13 starts, 92.1 IP, 3.22 ERA, 91 K, 1.072 WHIPPettitte:17*-9 in 39 starts*, 243.1 IP*, 3.88 ERA, 161 K, 1.327 WHIP* Most all-time."Fun" Facts- Pedro has never intentionally walked a batter in a playoff game, but he has plunked seven in just 92 innings.- Pettitte is friggin 17-9. That's impressive. Also, he has never been used in relief in the playoffs.- Neither pitcher has ever thrown a complete game in the playoffs, out of a combined 52 starts.

- Pedro has never intentionally walked a batter in a playoff game, but he has plunked seven in just 92 innings.
So how many times can we expect A-roid to get hit tonight?
So how many times can we expect A-roid to get hit tonight?
Probably none because 1) He's been hit so much, especially on first pitches, that hitting him tonight would almost certainly mean an ejection and 2) every time he has been hit, he has come back with a huge RBI hit.
Probably none because 1) He's been hit so much, especially on first pitches, that hitting him tonight would almost certainly mean an ejection and 2) every time he has been hit, he has come back with a huge RBI hit.
I agree. Pedro will probably hit Damon or Jeter, or at least knock one of them down. Maybe Teixeira, if he is getting good swings.I'm mostly kidding. I mean there's a decent chance that will happen, but at least an equal chance that it won't.Does everybody remember the game back in the day in The Bronx when Pedro hit Soriano and Jeter in the hand/arm in the first inning, taking them both out of the game, and only one of them even got first base (the other one it was deemed that the batter swung or something, iirc)? I think he may have broken somebody's wrist that day. The Yankees probably won the game, but that's to be expected.Edit: According to the internet, Pedro 'sent them both to the hospital,' and went 7 innings, struck out 11 and gave up 1 run, and the Yankees won in the 9th, beating goddam Byung-Hyun Kim.
well done...