Always Raise Strategy?

For two years, I have played Ultimate Bet small stakes poker. Mostly 2-5 SNG's and 1-5 MTT's. I started with $25.00 in the account and built it to $500.00 then cashed out $200.00. I built it back up from 300-400 then fell back to $300.00. I said all that to let you guys know that I am not a great player but I am also not a slouch. My game needs a lot of work and I am kind of at a standstill. I have moved most of my poker money to Full Tilt and so far, I think the play is more competitive at FT. I am not trying to make a living at this or anything like that. I mostly just kill time through poker instead of watching television. But my competitiveness forces me to want to win. And I want to get better. I am a tight player and I don't really like to risk a lot of money. I've done fairly well by playing these lower stake tourneys.So here is my question: Continually we all hear of the need to be aggressive to be successful in poker. And I believe that is the best way to play. In my couple of years of playing, every once in a while, I see a player that is raising almost every hand. Sometimes these players will have somebody stand up to them and they will fold. Sometimes they call with weak hands and win and sometimes they lose. Most of the time, they seem to be around to cash in. When I have tried to play this ultra aggressive style, I am never successful with it. I have realized that I don't understand how to play this way but it is frustrating when I get at a table with somebody playing like this and I catch them. Can any of you guys fill me in on how this ultra aggressive, raise every hand play is done. And what the rules are behind playing like this. I mean is there a certain bet size to raise? Is there a certain time to change gears? What is the philosophy behind this kind of play?

If someone is really raising EVERY hand and you see them winning, it is most likely over a small sample. Get the players name and check online to see what their stats are like OVERALL and 99% will be losing players. If someone is playing like this ultra-aggressive style you describe then trap the shit out of them, whenever possible. As for taking up this style, you defined yourself as a tight player so making the switch to all of a sudden be an ultra-aggressive player wouldn't be smart. Be selective with your aggression against opponents you feel you can make it work against and don't try to out aggress the aggressors because you will get into alot of marginal situations. Hope this helps, could be wrong but I think its a good start.

If someone is really raising EVERY hand and you see them winning, it is most likely over a small sample. Get the players name and check online to see what their stats are like OVERALL and 99% will be losing players. If someone is playing like this ultra-aggressive style you describe then trap the shit out of them, whenever possible. As for taking up this style, you defined yourself as a tight player so making the switch to all of a sudden be an ultra-aggressive player wouldn't be smart. Be selective with your aggression against opponents you feel you can make it work against and don't try to out aggress the aggressors because you will get into alot of marginal situations. Hope this helps, could be wrong but I think its a good start.
Saying that they raise EVERY hand is certainly overkill. But I really do believe that the people that I have seen play like this feel that they can raise every hand. The thing is, when a person is capable of raising every hand, you never know what they have. They get in showdown situations and reveal 95o that hits a straight or two pr. The problem is, when they raise and then you reraise with a middle pr. and they call, then it can easily end up being a couple of over cards that connect but were not worthy of their raise/call. Then, of course, what I end up doing is getting big cards and then going all in and getting no value for my cards. It is just a style that keeps the whole table off balance and pissed off. But I can't make it work for me.

the final 4 or 5 of any low stake sng always includes that one shovetard who is spew raising/shoving and running hot.sometimes I'm that guy just blowing off steam and playing a micro. Ignore it, good players don't run hot, stick to your game and work on your own style/plug your own leaks.

All the advice being given is great, but I want to offer one thing to ponder. Maybe carve out a small sample of micro stakes buy-ins and try to implement the style you have an aggrevation towards. If you do end up "raising every hand" or like 75% of them, you'll be forced to play lots of flops and make some tough decisions. It'll help you when you go back towards your normal style because you'll have some exposure towards playing a different way. It's only money if you lose, and the experience and new viewpoints you'll learn will be worth the price. You'll learn to play player types much better, value bet very thinly, and call with weak or marginal hands for profit.......Seems like a good experiment in my mind.Keep an open mind when you see a "luckbox" or "donkey" winning. They may be doing a few things right that you can incorporate into your game.

the final 4 or 5 of any low stake sng always includes that one shovetard who is spew raising/shoving and running hot.
Sometimes raising nearly every hand is correct on the bubble in an STT.
good players don't run hot[/b]
This is just wrong.
stick to your game and work on your own style/plug your own leaks.
Paying attention to other players and their leaks is still very important.

this strategy works alright as long as you're choosing your starting hands wisely and willing to lay down mediocre hands. i tend to use this type of aggression and it works great for me.

this strategy works alright as long as you're choosing your starting hands wisely and willing to lay down mediocre hands. i tend to use this type of aggression and it works great for me.
What are the wise starting hands? I understand being aggressive in the early stages and raising 3x with KQ or even KJ. And I don't have ego issues with folding marginal hands to relatively large bets. If there are 2 or 3 limpers and I have A7s in the cutoff, I'll limp right along with them. Then if my 7 pairs and I am not 4 flushed and there is an over card on the board and somebody makes a pot size or nearly pot size bet, I am happy to fold and move on to the next hand. But when I have been against this style of play and they raise 3x then end up catching lucky with their 57o and making a straight and busting somebody that was slow playing KK trying to trap the maniac, it makes you think when you have A8o and this person raises 3x, maybe you should call or raise. I am not as concerned about playing against this kind of player as much as I am learning to be that player. It's a risk/reward style that seems to go against all convention. And I can't make it work for me.
this strategy works alright as long as you're choosing what opponents and spots you play aggressively with wisely and are willing to lay down mediocre hands when a villain clearly won't go away.
FYP