Significant 60's And 70's Albums

I've done this before kinda but for the 80's and I got all those albums suggested. yes. I did. mmmhmm. not like I got several and stopped. nope.But, this time how about we also hear some of you older folk's stories related to or about these albums. Perhaps going to concerts. roadtrips. etc. you can do it for the 80s or 90s as well. you can even go off topic or not do anything because I don't have control over your actions. I'll go purchase a few based solely on the best stories (fake or real). maybe.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 43 so going to concerts was done in the 80s and 90s. However, I was born in 65 and my parents were avid music fans. They owned 100s of albums. But even in the 80s my friends and I would collect the classics.Anyway, I would check out this listIt seems to be spot on... everything from Led Zeppelin to Blondie, Iggy Pop to Credence Clearwater Revival.When it comes to the 70s I think you have the best and worst of music rolled up into one. What is considered Alternative now was actually led by Bowie and Pop, transformed by Blondie and the Talking Head and shaken up by the Romones, Sex Pistols and the Clash. Anyway, there are many on the list I have not even heard of so thanks for starting this thread. Now it is time for me to explore.

here in toronto we had about 3 great record stores in the early 90`s. One was called Incredible records and I forget the name of the other 2. I was an avid Smiths fan so I decided to collect every single they ever produced as well as full albums. I have about 30 albums never paid more than $20 for them and some are worth $300-$400 now. My fav find was This Charming Man 7 inch I got in Quebec City while on spring break for $1.

Here are some albums from that era, from non-mainstream classic rock bands, that I think are delightful..Shuggie%20Cover.jpgThe best soul album that no one's ever heard of, Shuggie Otis's Inspiration Information. Otis wrote everything, and played basically all the instruments, pulling Prince before Prince was cool. Limited commercial success, but just a beautiful album. If you like soul/RnB and funk, this is a must have..13th_Floor_Elevators_Psychedelic_Sounds.jpgCalled by some the first psychedelic album, The Psychedelic sounds of the 13th floor elevators Is a crazy and fantastic album. Not much real psychedelia gets played on oldie's/classic rock stations these days, because it was too intimately associated with the drug culture, but this album is just fantastic. Lead Singer Rory Ericson is one of the mad geniuses of Rock and Roll, who has battled severe schizophrenia for decades, and his mental illness is what limited the band's success ,and caused their eventual break up.LoveForeverChanges.jpgLove was the Velvet underground of the west coast. Meaning that they didn't have much commercial success, but they were hugely influential on bands that were successful or went on to have success, a favorite of the Yardbirds, the stones, Syd Barrett, Jimi Hendrix, and the most common comparison, the Doors. This magnum opis, Forever changes, is pure beauty, and should be considered with Sgt. Peppers and Pet sounds as the definitive albums of the 60'scourt-of.jpgKing Crimson's in the court of the Crimson King. Probably my favorite album from the "prog rock" genre, it's a weird mix of orchestration and improvisation, has both classical and jazz influences. I wish I had known about this album when I still took hallucinogenic drugs. IT also would make a nice soundtrack to a stiring game of D and D.

gg album art.That was the one big thing every time someone came out with a new album..."whats the cover look like?"Older Concerts I've been to, all pre 1985:Zeppelin. Deep Purple. Aerosmith. Frampton. Foghat. Boston. Springsteen. The Who. Heart. J Geils. Bob Seager. Santana. Alice Cooper. Kiss. Fleetwood Mac. Bee Gees. Steely Dan. Thin Lizzy. Elton John. Rush. Pink Floyd. Gary Wright (dream weaver). Emerson Lake Palmer. AC/DC. Styx. Many others I can;t think of, lots of one hit wonders, etc. We knew folks who worked at a radio station in Detroit growing up. Every band came that town too, usually for multiple nights, so scoring tickets was never an issue. Good times for Jr. high and High school years.My first concert ever was Yes. They had just come out with Close to the Edge, stage show was sick. First time I had ever seen a laser.

because i was born in the 70's and was a teen in the 80's the whole late 70's and early 80's seems to mesh for me (meaning something i suggest could be either). Off the top of my head, i would suggest....Anything by Bowiethe entire YES collection (i have it on vinyl, cassette and cd)the tubes (i think this is definately early early 80's but still worth it)Arlo guthrie (you just have to own the pickle song or at least you have to hear it)Anything and everything by Queenpink floyd, led zeppelin and ccr are requirementsThe guess whomarvin gayesupertrampi would also suggest adding some disco so that you can definately round out the decade, even if you don't like it, it was a big part of the 70's...and adding a donna summer album just won't hurt.early van halen is really good tooi'm lucky that my hubby has a very large vinyl collection, but like i said, i was very young in the 70's and early 80's so sometimes i'm just not sure which decade some things fit into and i'm just too lazy to go look it all up.

I have a standing anything-goes sex bet with my girl that whenever we go into a Goodwill/Salvation Army/Thrift Store, I can find at least one copy of the Frampton Comes Alive LP.

Anyway, I would check out this list
Wow that list is heavy on Bowie, Brian Eno and Iggy Pop. But nothing on some real rock and roll of the 70's like Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Lynyrd Skynyrd. Lotta weenie rock, but almost no arena rock save for a few LZ's and early VH. Am surprised there was no Rush (did I miss it?), given the context of that list. Seems like that list was written by an englishman.Black Sabbath-ParanoidAC/DC-High VoltageLynyrd Skynyrd-Pronounced...Rush-2112I recently went through my old vinyl collection, anyone reccommend a good/cheap turntable for transferring old vinyl to CD?
I have a standing anything-goes sex bet with my girl that whenever we go into a Goodwill/Salvation Army/Thrift Store, I can find at least one copy of the Frampton Comes Alive LP.
That was my first album. My parents gave it to me as a Christmas gift.
Here are some albums from that era, from non-mainstream classic rock bands, that I think are delightful..LoveForeverChanges.jpgLove was the Velvet underground of the west coast. Meaning that they didn't have much commercial success, but they were hugely influential on bands that were successful or went on to have success, a favorite of the Yardbirds, the stones, Syd Barrett, Jimi Hendrix, and the most common comparison, the Doors. This magnum opis, Forever changes, is pure beauty, and should be considered with Sgt. Peppers and Pet sounds as the definitive albums of the 60'scourt-of.jpgKing Crimson's in the court of the Crimson King. Probably my favorite album from the "prog rock" genre, it's a weird mix of orchestration and improvisation, has both classical and jazz influences. I wish I had known about this album when I still took hallucinogenic drugs. IT also would make a nice soundtrack to a stiring game of D and D.
QFT on these two to a ridiculous degree.i'd also toss out jefferson airplane as one of my personal favorites from that era. after bathing at baxters is my album of choice by them, but my mom would advocate volunteers instead.
Wow that list is heavy on Bowie, Brian Eno and Iggy Pop. But nothing on some real rock and roll of the 70's like Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Lynyrd Skynyrd. Lotta weenie rock, but almost no arena rock save for a few LZ's and early VH.
It's because it's a good list.

For me Mood Blues, Guess Who, Doobie Brothers, CCR, Eagles, Led Zep, Alice Cooper, Rush, Eric Clapton, Elton John, Cosby, Stills Nash and Young, Blood Sweat and Tears, Styx, The Boss, KissSome of my favorite concerts000a380a_medium.jpegDoobie-Brothers-2.jpgcrosby_stills_nash_and_young_-_deja_vu_-_front_[covertarget_com].jpg21454819-21454822-slarge.jpgalbum-the-eyes-of-alice-cooper.jpgalbum-Kiss-Destroyer.jpg

I think the one thing to remember is that in the 70s it was all about the totality of the album. Some of the most popular bands had great songs but not necessarily a great album. Kiss was a band known for putting out album after album with only one or two good songs on each. They were prolific in the quantity of albums so when they played in concerts they had lots of good songs to play. But than there were others who took the whole album a a piece of work. Pink Floyd and Alan Parsons Project were probably the two best who created an entire theme and stuck with it through the whole album. The Beetles and the Beach Boys really laid the ground work on this venture with St. Pepper's and Pet Sounds. It became less about hit songs but about the whole album experience. So OP... are you looking for albums or songs... I just want to make sure we get where you are coming from. (I thought albums since it is in your title) :club:

Nobody has mentioned Steve Miller Band. My favorite from the 70's.
Steve Miller's individual albums were just OK (remember, this is albums, not songs.) He released so many albums in such a short time, each having a couple of good songs. I think what he did do was some out with an outstanding Greatest Hits album. Unlike most artist that just slap a bunch of hits together, this one actually flowed and feels like a great work on it's own accord. SMB_Greatest_Hits-1974-78.jpg

Hey thersea, I really want to thank you for that link, it's fantastic, and I'm downloading some of the more obscure stuff off that list, that I've never heard of but sounds interesting. That list is the best thing about this thread, IMO. Most everyone else's suggestions are terribad. The 70's was a pit of despair for commercial rock, IMO.

Hey thersea, I really want to thank you for that link, it's fantastic, and I'm downloading some of the more obscure stuff off that list, that I've never heard of but sounds interesting. That list is the best thing about this thread, IMO. Most everyone else's suggestions are terribad. The 70's was a pit of despair for commercial rock, IMO.
I agree with you BigD that must of the 70s was commercial rock and nothing but crap. I mean, this is the decade that brought us soft rock, you know, the crap that they play at the dentist office.But I can not disregard some of the work that happened in the 70s. I think the crap led to a great underground movement. Without the 70s we would not have Iggy Pop, Bowie at his best, Blondie, Talking Heads (one of my all time favs), Devo, Sex Pistols, Ramones and of course The Clash. Glad you like the link BigD. :club:

One more thing... Reggae came into it's own in the 70s and I am not just talking Bob Marley and the Whalers. Also check out Peter Tosh and Third World. I would have to say that Third World's 98 Degrees in the Shade is worth checking out. Their version of Now That We Found Love combines Reggae, Calypso, Disco and Funk and precedes Heavy D's version by a decade.