aggressive play - live vs. online

This is not true. You should play as aggressive as possible with respect to your level of comfort and of course, opponents. Online poker = value-betting and ABC poker.I like Paul Phillips's advice on poker. Play tighter and more aggressive.

I find live play aggressiveness works a lot better than online. But it also depends if you're playing real money or play money online (and the stakes involved).Played a few games with friends the other night and when I got agressive I won with nothing. The dealer after the 4th game (won 3 of the 4) told me:"I hope you don't mind, I checked some of your hands during play... i don't know how you won some of those pots or how you had the guts to bet like you did..."I said "Easy, I didn't play my cards, I played everyone elses." It's pretty easy with most groups to tell what they're betting on. Tight agressive... its been a winner for me.

I find live play aggressiveness works a lot better than online. But it also depends if you're playing real money or play money online (and the stakes involved).Played a few games with friends the other night and when I got agressive I won with nothing. The dealer after the 4th game (won 3 of the 4) told me:"I hope you don't mind, I checked some of your hands during play... i don't know how you won some of those pots or how you had the guts to bet like you did..."I said "Easy, I didn't play my cards, I played everyone elses." It's pretty easy with most groups to tell what they're betting on. Tight agressive... its been a winner for me.
im sorry ,i stopped reading after play money....sw umm not really lol

I am currently only able to play the .25-.or .50-1.00 tables at UB, but I have found that being aggressive at these tables does not often work as people call you anyway. Depending on my position I may play A-A aggressive or I might limp in if I'm in early position. I think, and by no means am I an expert, that playing aggressive in later position work well. I also try to mix it up. You would be amazed at how many people play their J-J, Q-Q, K-K, and A-A aggressive all the time. I like to keep a book on these players so I can save myself some bets if I have a marginal hand like 8-8 or even A-Q. I am not sure about higher limit tables but I would assume that as the limits get hight the players get better and you could play aggressive more times. As always, though, you should vary your game. Hopefully that helps a little.Orville

Players who repeatedly play aggressive online may win at the tables now and again but they will win no real money. One big pot an hour will make you a successful online poker player.

Players who repeatedly play aggressive online may win at the tables now and again but they will win no real money. One big pot an hour will make you a successful online poker player.
You are wrong...I play EXTREMELY aggressive online....but I Channel it properly. I try not to miss a single bet...THAT is being aggressive. And I have been a winning player for quite a while now. First, I look for good tables before I play...this can take me up to 25 minutes to find a good 3 or 4 tables....then I load up Pokertracker, playerview and GT+. I pick out the worst players and I pick on those people all day with isolation tactics.....They will call me down with A high and even K high sometimes and I will value bet them into submission. I use my position to manipulate the pot sizes, buy free cards and make moves to give me control of hands when i want it. This is all a staple of aggressive play. To say that these kind of tactics dont work online because you will just get called anyway is Hogwash...your just not applying your arsenal properly to the situation at hand.If you play weak tight at my table I guarantee I will run all over you.To Quote Mr. Fillmaff "it's time to get out of the kiddie pool and start swimming with the sharks!"
Every type of play has value. No SW at all.
Play money has no value., heres why.. I used to push all in with everything cuz i had half a million in play money.Also., you should more aggressive in a real life game, rather than online. Your aggressive online play will only scare out crap, but reward patient players. Its really difficult to intimdate behind a computer screen.
Play money has no value., heres why.. I used to push all in with everything cuz i had half a million in play money.Also., you should more aggressive in a real life game, rather than online. Your aggressive online play will only scare out crap, but reward patient players. Its really difficult to intimdate behind a computer screen.
Youre wrong too, you just dont tangle with those weak tight patient players...thier hand is an open book and its an easy muck
Youre wrong too, you just dont tangle with those weak tight patient players...thier hand is an open book and its an easy muck
I said it will reward those players you idiot.. Reward them. meaning you give them your money..can u please read my posts before telling me i'm wrong
I said it will reward those players you idiot.. Reward them. meaning you give them your money..can u please read my posts before telling me i'm wrong
I did read your post...A good aggressive player will NEVER reward a weak tight patient player...becuase against one of these guys waiting to trap me my hand will be in the muck so fast. Thier hand is an Open book, Im going to fold agaisnt these guys instead of attacking (rewarding) them.
I did read your post...A good aggressive player will NEVER reward a weak tight patient player...becuase against one of these guys waiting to trap me my hand will be in the muck so fast. Thier hand is an Open book, Im going to fold agaisnt these guys instead of attacking (rewarding) them.
Should i dare to even ask what your definition of a "good aggressive" player is??If your refering to a tight aggressive player, i think thats a whole other question. The OP was asking when you should play more aggressive. The simple fact is you can, and should play more aggressive in real life, than you do in online play.
That's not really true in terms of winning no real money. At least in part though, it depends on the limits you're playing at. I generally play at the .50/1 NLHE tables at Pokerstars (underplaying my current roll on that site), and I've found that a fair mix of aggressiveness will generally make you decent money ($80 - $100) per session. As Orville noted you will get a lot of initial calls depending on the size of your pre-flop raises, but you'll get a lot of folds to the second bet, and you'll find yourself winning a lot of steady mid-sized pots with semi-bluff hands.The problem that a lot of people run into is that they play 'stupid' not aggressive. I swear it seems like half the people at the tables think they're the next Gus Hansen.The benefit from being aggressive, tends to be that you're in more pots with action and you'll often see people start loosening up a bit to try to catch you. That's a great time to tighten up just enough to make them pay. It's far more profitable to switch from aggressive to tighter play in terms of clearing big pots, than it is the other way (it's fine for stealing the blinds though).The problem with tight play, is that unless your opponent also has a big hand you're not going to get that big pot each hour. If you check and fold for 45 minutes, and then come out firing, I'm more than willing to cede that hand to you knowing that I can get the chips back on other hands. In the end it's a question of where your comfort level is, I like setting the pace and dictating the action and I also like giving other people the decision to make, so I'm more aggressive.
That's not really true in terms of winning no real money. At least in part though, it depends on the limits you're playing at. I generally play at the .50/1 NLHE tables at Pokerstars (underplaying my current roll on that site), and I've found that a fair mix of aggressiveness will generally make you decent money ($80 - $100) per session. As Orville noted you will get a lot of initial calls depending on the size of your pre-flop raises, but you'll get a lot of folds to the second bet, and you'll find yourself winning a lot of steady mid-sized pots with semi-bluff hands.The problem that a lot of people run into is that they play 'stupid' not aggressive. I swear it seems like half the people at the tables think they're the next Gus Hansen.The benefit from being aggressive, tends to be that you're in more pots with action and you'll often see people start loosening up a bit to try to catch you. That's a great time to tighten up just enough to make them pay. It's far more profitable to switch from aggressive to tighter play in terms of clearing big pots, than it is the other way (it's fine for stealing the blinds though).The problem with tight play, is that unless your opponent also has a big hand you're not going to get that big pot each hour. If you check and fold for 45 minutes, and then come out firing, I'm more than willing to cede that hand to you knowing that I can get the chips back on other hands. In the end it's a question of where your comfort level is, I like setting the pace and dictating the action and I also like giving other people the decision to make, so I'm more aggressive.
Great post, well said :club:

You are wrong...I play EXTREMELY aggressive online....but I Channel it properly. I try not to miss a single bet...THAT is being aggressive. And I have been a winning player for quite a while now. First, I look for good tables before I play...this can take me up to 25 minutes to find a good 3 or 4 tables....then I load up Pokertracker, playerview and GT+. I pick out the worst players and I pick on those people all day with isolation tactics.....They will call me down with A high and even K high sometimes and I will value bet them into submission. I use my position to manipulate the pot sizes, buy free cards and make moves to give me control of hands when i want it. This is all a staple of aggressive play. To say that these kind of tactics dont work online because you will just get called anyway is Hogwash...your just not applying your arsenal properly to the situation at hand.If you play weak tight at my table I guarantee I will run all over you.I guess I should have specified that I play mostly single table tournies so the strategy is a little more valid. When I play cash tables I play slightly more agressive and there is no way you'd run all over me Gus.

When you play the higher buy in play money tourneys, you do get some good play. At least i've see that case. you get people that care more about the game (ie winning the game) than winning money. there's a huge difference between the 3oo+20 tourneys and the 3000+200 tourneys. The 10000+ ones are even better.Sure, you get the jokers that just go all in on the first hand, but it's easy to wait them out. they are usualy out in 1 to 2 hands. When you get down to 4-5 players, it's really good play. Probably better play than I've had playing live home game tourneys (read "more experienced players that dont chase all the way to the river no matter what the bet")I agree it's easier to be agreesive in live play... that was my original post.
You are wrong...I play EXTREMELY aggressive online....but I Channel it properly. I try not to miss a single bet...THAT is being aggressive. And I have been a winning player for quite a while now. First, I look for good tables before I play...this can take me up to 25 minutes to find a good 3 or 4 tables....then I load up Pokertracker, playerview and GT+. I pick out the worst players and I pick on those people all day with isolation tactics.....They will call me down with A high and even K high sometimes and I will value bet them into submission. I use my position to manipulate the pot sizes, buy free cards and make moves to give me control of hands when i want it. This is all a staple of aggressive play. To say that these kind of tactics dont work online because you will just get called anyway is Hogwash...your just not applying your arsenal properly to the situation at hand.If you play weak tight at my table I guarantee I will run all over you.I guess I should have specified that I play mostly single table tournies so the strategy is a little more valid. When I play cash tables I play slightly more agressive and there is no way you'd run all over me Gus.
hey bud... If people are calling you down with Ace high, its because they are horrible players.You play a decent player heads up, and be extremely aggressive.. and then see how u do

I play much less Aggresive online than I do in person. In person I will raise/call with a Lot more, seeing way more flops than I do online.My reasoning is simple... Knowing your Opponents.If I know my opponents and how they play, I can adapt much better to them so I will play more hands against them knowing when to bet and when not too.I can't do that online, I don't have reads on all 10 Million americans playing poker online JUST yet :club:

I can't figure this out and its driving me nuts. Please help when I hit the quote button it acts like I wrote what I am responding to.I want it to say So and So wrote and then respondPlease help

Write under the Quote bar... If you want to edit it, Copy n Paste it into wordpad and go from there, making sure the

is before the text and [/ quote] is after the text. Taking out the spaces ofcourse.Have at it :club:
I can't figure this out and its driving me nuts. Please help when I hit the quote button it acts like I wrote what I am responding to.I want it to say So and So wrote and then respondPlease help
Krup..I agree that for STT's its not right to come out of the box firingCash games are a different story however
Write under the Quote bar... If you want to edit it' date=' Copy n Paste it into wordpad and go from there, making sure the
is before the text and [/ quote] is after the text. Taking out the spaces ofcours Have at it :club:
Let's try it.......
Write under the Quote bar... If you want to edit it' date=' Copy n Paste it into wordpad and go from there' date=' making sure the
is before the text and [/ quote] is after the text.  Taking out the spaces ofcours  Have at it :club:
Let's try it.......
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!..sorry..
Write under the Quote bar... If you want to edit it' date=' Copy n Paste it into wordpad and go from there, making sure the
is before the text and [/ quote] is after the text. Taking out the spaces ofcourse.Have at it :club:
AMEN I GOT IT