Villain has been reraising quite a bit but mainly showing quality hands down. Hero has been getting frustrated a bit.Villain (Button) $75Hero (BB) $100Villain minraises to $1. Hero has JJ in the BB. Hero reraises to $4. Villain calls.Read: The minraise is Villain's standard raise preflop with almost ATC.Flop ($8) [A76r]: Hero bets $5.50. Villain minraises to $11. Hero calls.Turn ($30) [A76Q]: Hero checks. Villain bets $18. Hero calls.River ($66) [A76Q9]: Hero checks. Villain goes all in for $42. Hero calls.What is villain's range here? What should Hero's calling range be? Comments on all streets welcome.

Villain has been reraising quite a bit but mainly showing quality hands down. Hero has been getting frustrated a bit.Villain (Button) $75Hero (BB) $100Villain minraises to $1. Hero has JJ in the BB. Hero reraises to $4. Villain calls.Read: The minraise is Villain's standard raise preflop with almost ATC.Flop ($8) [A76r]: Hero bets $5.50. Villain minraises to $11. Hero calls.Turn ($30) [A76Q]: Hero checks. Villain bets $18. Hero calls.River ($66) [A76Q9]: Hero checks. Villain goes all in for $42. Hero calls.What is villain's range here? What should Hero's calling range be? Comments on all streets welcome.
What would make you think JJ is good here? If villian is barrelling here with nada you need to practice better game selection.

Only you know how this guy was playing, but considering the pre-flop raise, you gotta be putting him on An overpair or AQ AJ something like that. Now if this guy was playing loose aggressive the whole time, I could see if you put him on something like K-10 and a busted straight but i think you said he was playing quality hands so unless he was playing very loose, i think a strong ace is the obvious read.

Villain has been reraising quite a bit but mainly showing quality hands down. Hero has been getting frustrated
You lose. Fold and go home. Seriously.EDIT: oh, and villain has an ace or QQ or a set or two pair here like ... 90% of the time.
EDIT: oh, and villain has an ace or QQ or a set or two pair here like ... 90% of the time.
He's been reraising alot, but you're assigning him to flatting QQ, KK, AA or w/e? HmmmUnless you're trying to learn to play regs, it sounds like he may be competant, so why play him?

OK, just wanted to make sure I wasn't losing it here. I am villain. By the way that hero played his hand, I could tell that he did not have an ace. I also thought that the river shove would be necessary to take the pot down. How hero makes this hero call is beyond me. JJ ended up beating my 76. This is exactly how I would have played a set or AQ/AK.

Now, let's evaluate villains play. Does anyone give up on this pot? A few hands before this, hero called my reraise, flop came Q74. Hero called a bet. Turn was an 8. Hero called another bet. River was a 3. Hero led for a decent bet with 33. I had JJ. Based on this information, I think I probably should not have tried to make a move on him. I still thought he would be able to fold to such a strong line, though.

OK, just wanted to make sure I wasn't losing it here. I am villain. By the way that hero played his hand, I could tell that he did not have an ace. I also thought that the river shove would be necessary to take the pot down. How hero makes this hero call is beyond me. JJ ended up beating my 76. This is exactly how I would have played a set or AQ/AK.
Am I reading the OP wrong? Did you have 2-pair to his pair?And why are you minraising twice?
Am I reading the OP wrong? Did you have 2-pair to his pair?And why are you minraising twice?
Whoops, I had 75, not 76. Just posted wrong.I minraised before the flop because that is my standard raise with any hand that I open. I minraised the flop to represent strength and to see if he had a strong ace.
What does that mean? Can you please go into detail? Is a minraise just a bad tactic all together? Do you have any insight about why it is so bad?
While min-raising is the ONLY TACTIC you have available in LIMIT poker, it is a bad tactic at NO LIMIT poker. Min-raising LIMITS action, and one of the key elements of successful NO LIMIT play is action. If we are ahead, we want the pot filled. Bigger bets do that. The min-raise does nothing to provide the villain with the opportunity to make a bad decision, e.g. get involved with a marginal hand at a higher risk to himself. If we are strong and min-raise, we are going to "price in" a wider range of hands. We may think min-raising keeps villains in the pot, but the truth is that we're probably going to get "run down" and beaten more often. That's just if we happen to have a villain heads up. Min-raising is even more atrocious in multiple player pots.Conversely, if we are weak and trying to fold a better hand by min-raising, we're going to get value-owned almost every time because almost no one folds hands of ANY STRENGTH AT ALL to a min-raise.The ONLY good time to use a min-raise IMHO, is if you have a spazz who will come over any bet hard and you are ahead of him. If min-raising is the bait, and he is the bass, throw one out and let him hit it.
Whoops, I had 75, not 76. Just posted wrong.I minraised before the flop because that is my standard raise with any hand that I open. I minraised the flop to represent strength and to see if he had a strong ace.
Is your pf minraise a tactic you only use HU or do you do it full ring too? I ask because I do know good players who do that heads up because they are exceptional at reading players and playing post flop. I am not one of those players.As mtdesmoines said, it's pretty atrocious multihanded.
Yes. If he's RR ing a lot to push people off while he's holding air, why would he NOT flat to keep them in for value when he's got a hand.
Villain has been reraising quite a bit but mainly showing quality hands down.
Is your pf minraise a tactic you only use HU or do you do it full ring too? I ask because I do know good players who do that heads up because they are exceptional at reading players and playing post flop. I am not one of those players.As mtdesmoines said, it's pretty atrocious multihanded.
I don't really play much full ring cash. I pretty much play heads up cash and sitngos as well as MTTs. I use the minraise in all of these games for a number of reasons. In the MTTs, I want to minimize risk and keep the pots smaller. I also want hands that I have dominated to be calling. In heads up, I use this as a way of playing more pots in position. The BB will either make a mistake by folding his hand to a minraise or he will be playing trash against me from out of position. This does require that you hand read better and play better postflop but I believe that it actually makes you a better postflop player and hand reader as you are playing so many hands and are always constantly being put in interesting situations. This is the opposite line of thought as mtdesmoines has pointed out. This is the same strategy that Daniel Negreanu talks about with "small ball". Is it that small ball does not apply/work in cash games or is it not really a good strategy in tournaments either? I am grateful that you are giving your opinions and I look forward to seeing your responses.The minraise after the flop in this hand example was the first time I had minraised postflop during the match.