For The Hockey Forum Crew

A thought has occurred to me as of late: I'm not having as much fun in this forum as I used to. Now, I feel like I can bring the point up, since I'm definately one of the guiltier parties when it comes to this problem. But I really feel that the sniping and flaming has gotten out of hand. It seems like 50% of the posts are adversarial, and not in the friendly banter kind of way. I know personally that I have been shooting down serge with a little more venom than is healthy, and I see it going on with others as well. I came to this forum by accident, not expecting such a reasonable and intelligent exchange of hockey info on a non-hockey site, and one of the biggest attractions was how friendly it was. I think part of the problem is the gambling, which is a strange development for a poker related site. But I find the insults to be just a touch less innoccuous these days, and, for me at least, it's killing the buzz. I find myself looking for openings to shoot people down, and also find the same coming back at me. Unfortunately, I have too many other items of concern in my life right now to add this one. As a minor offshoot, I do take a certain professional risk providing my input on betting, or providing the info in general that I'm sometimes privy to. I dont mind doing it, but when I do it, and it gets ridiculed (and yes, this is pointed at you serge, don't take it personally), I wonder why I bother with the risk. Anyway, I"m not sure what the point I'm trying to make is, but I accept full responsibility for being a big part of the problem. Therefore, for my own mental health, I will be out on the RTE. Keep my investment. I will be out on the Skate N go. Keep my buy in. The money is extremely insignificant. Hopefully we can get back to being more respectful, and the best place for me to start doing that is with myself. For any and all that I've offended or annoyed, I apologize. This is an excellent group, and an excellent forum, and I am disappointed in myself for dragging it down to a lower level with juvenile behaviour. Good luck to all....

my first thought was WOW how Serge like..Come on Chris you know I respect you and your knowledge, but I am having fun and i really wish you dont take the jabs personally..You know you dish it out to me, and I dont take it personally..For example when I made fun of your "inside" knowledge, by no means was i trying to be rude or anything..We all respect your views, and you are a great addition to the forum...We have learned a lot from your views, but you have to realize no one, no matter how well connected can be right predicting games day in and day out...We are all trying to have fun, and MAYBE make a few bucks if we get lucky....I never take sports betting as a serious money making exercise, i dont maybe you do justifiably....I make money playing poker, because I have an edge and a personality that enables me to grind out profits...I dont have that same edge in sports betting, but I have fun doing it..Having said that I respect your wishes, and If I have offended , ridiculed or belittled your profession and knowledge, i am sorry and hope you will stay..thanks

I'm not a part of any of the betting aspects of this sub-forum, but I hope this doesn't mean that you'll stop providing the info that you sometimes get ridiculed for. I find you to be one of the posters I respect the most here, and I'd hate for you to censor yourself more than you normally do. I understand your reasons for backing out of the betting, though, and hope the decision helps your stay here.

Chris, for my part I'll miss your input around here and truly hope that you don't end up leaving the forum. As for the bickering and sniping, my only advice is to just not get involved in it. Sometimes I do let people suck me into the flame wars (the last time was during the AHL-FCHL war and that was only because the record needed to be set straight) but by and large I just pretend I have half of FCP and 95% of the posts on permanent "ignore" and I find that it works for me. I come here to talk hockey and chat with the people I've grown friendly with over the past 4 years, not to validate my existence by continually trying to get the best of people sitting in their underwear in the dark. You don't have to take every piece of bad press to heart. Eff the haters. Hope you reconsider.

I understand your decision about leaving the RTE and Skate n Go. I would rather you be involved, but I understand your position. Most of all, I hope that doesn't mean you will lessen your involvement in the forum, I think your a big part of why this is such a particularly informative and skilled group for hockey knowledge. If we could ever kill off the constant bickering over team A vs team B, and actually just exchange the best of our ideas (exactly what I had hoped RTE would be), this could be a very interesting place. I have no idea why so many of you live and die with the progress of a certain teams win and losses, and why it so often clouds your judgement and forces hate to spew, but I guess its something I just will never understand. And for what its worth, I don't think Serge is the only one, just the extreme.

Wow really? I think we'd all rather you stayed in the RTE and Skate n Go. If you feel like you're getting flamed too much, there's a simple solution..you can quit harping on Serge all the time. I'm one of the few guys that never bash him, and he doesn't bash me..and it works out well. I actually think you guys are all way too harsh on him sometimes, it's gotta be hard for him to stick up for himself against so many people all the time.

Wow really? I think we'd all rather you stayed in the RTE and Skate n Go. If you feel like you're getting flamed too much, there's a simple solution..you can quit harping on Serge all the time. I'm one of the few guys that never bash him, and he doesn't bash me..and it works out well. I actually think you guys are all way too harsh on him sometimes, it's gotta be hard for him to stick up for himself against so many people all the time.
You're actually right on the money Ray. Like I mentioned, I hold myself more responsible for this than anyone. I read back over posts, and I don't like the way that I'M behaving. And yes, serge, can be a dick sometimes, but as you say, some of that is just responding to ME being a dick. So, all in all, it's an attempt to correct my OWN behaviour as much as anything else...
HMMMM.............I am only upset that you never come to my poker games.
It would be cool to get Chris to play, from what I have seen he is a pretty good poker player..But he would get owned in our limit game.. :club:
It would be cool to get Chris to play, from what I have seen he is a pretty good poker player..But he would get owned in our limit game.. :club:
douchebag....insulting someone in the thread they created about not insulting each other is kind of counterproductive, don't ya think?Anyway...I too hope Chris doesn't leave/stop posting etc. There's too much drama around here...you'd almost think this was the Women's Hockey Forum.Group hug?
douchebag....insulting someone in the thread they created about not insulting each other is kind of counterproductive, don't ya think?Anyway...I too hope Chris doesn't leave/stop posting etc. There's too much drama around here...you'd almost think this was the Women's Hockey Forum.Group hug?
I think you always misunderstand my posts...That was by no means an insult...Yes I am on the BRING CHRIS BACK bandwagon..
:club: as long as this emoticon is followed by any insult it is okay.
I think you always misunderstand my posts...
I think you misunderstand mine often too - Sorry I forgot to include the requisite :ts