OK, You may laugh, but I really enjoyed Phil Gordon's Book

I just finished reading Phil Gordon's Poker: The Real Deal and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. My son bought it for me for Christmas. It is definately a book for beginners but I tell you, it helped me to get back to basics. The language is so simple and he does refer to lots of other books. He is a decent story teller so the book is an easy and quick read. He has a little question section on when to turn pro that i thought was very insightful. You see all of these younger guys ask that question on this forum and I think if they ran down the list they would know the answer (which is probably not now). If you are looking for complex theory, this is not the book. If you are looking for a solid entry level book, I feel comfortable you will enjoy the book. Phil has a knack of taking common sense and really making it common sense that you can remember.

i loved this book as well. i think phil is brilliant, but also very personable and that really comes across in the writing. it's funny yet still informative, and it provides a couple really great insights, including the part about turning pro that you mentioned. i recommend it to anyone.

It was infinitely more readable than informative. A lot more readable than the Bibles we hold so close to our hearts and bankrolls. Either he has a great editor or this cat can write. Highly enjoyable, very funny and well written. I would recommend it for anyone just starting.

I liked the chapter on the final table at the San Jose WPT Game (I believe that is where it was) with Moneymaker. Just interesting to watch it on reruns knowing what was going on in head.

it was actually the first poker book i ever bought and read on the subject, and i found it to be quite interesting. It was an easy and entertaining read......not much info for intermediates and advanced but but a good foundation for any beginner. Great bathroom read. :D

its a fast and fun read. While there isn't a great wealth of knowledge that I haven't read about, the way he goes into moving up limits and going pro is some of the best put english in print. Its not convoluted or wordy. The defining moment at the end of each chapter is fun too as it ties you more into the book. I think that he should write another book, doesn't even have to be poker related, I think that he's a solid writer

All I have to say is, thank god, for Barnes & Nobles! *L* I'm glad I was able to read it there, because if I had actually bought a copy, I would've been pissed if I had lost my receipt and couldn't return it and get my money back...*L*With that said, though, it's definitely a good entry-level book. Although, I can't say overall that I've been a fan of Phil. But, that's just been my experience.

First I ever bought and read on poker. Gave me a great base to read higher more advanced books like SS. Also helped alot with the "little things". It lists the do's and don'ts at the poker table. When you should turn pro. And even some simple strategy. Perfect begginer book.

I hated it. I kept waiting for it to get better, deeper, more involved, but it always just seemed to skim the surface. I can't really think of any one thing I got out of that book. And the mock hands at the end of some of the chapters were just dumb, IMO. I'd much rather read about real hands than mock hands against Grandma (or Phil Helmuth for that matter).I suppose I was not the target audience for the book (beginners). I got it for Xmas and I respect Phil as a player, so I decided to read it anyways (you don't exactly have to twist my arm to get me to read pretty much anything involving poker!). I'm not an expert or a pro by any means, but for me, there was nothing valuable in the book. Your mileage may vary.

I liked that book too. phil has a real great personality and it shows thru in the book. strategy wise, no. Nothing an intermediate player doesnt know, but really entertaining and fun book to read. loved it.